O boy.. Real reason it's failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/g..._source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

McCarthy is the play caller, but because Rodgers is so intelligent and such a good improvisational player, the quarterback has the green light to change plays on the field as he see fit. He does, so often that it can be hard for McCarthy to get into a rhythm as the play caller. McCarthy might call the same play three times in a game, without the play actually being run as he called it. And if McCarthy calls a play that Rodgers doesn’t like early in the game, that can sour the mood for the rest of the game. Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that it devolved into a competition over who can call the better play, and both want the credit when things go right.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So those that say mm play calling sucks.. Is this believable?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is truly the case, we have much bigger problems than the head coach. And when there's so many plays being left on the field un finished, I guess the easy target is the coach.

Reaction score
This sounds like MM may need to leave not because he is bad, but because Rodgers doesn't respect him. Im for a coach that keeps players in check with the objective being the betterment of the team. MM has no authority over the head guy, the QB. That is a problem. No matter how great your QB is.

H

HardRightEdge

So those that say mm play calling sucks.. Is this believable?
There is a ton of conjecture imbedded in that stuff. And they're tripping over each other to take the blame, which is as it should be.

One thing we can be sure of: The guy with the massive contract is not going anywhere for a long, long time.

There's more to McCarthy's future than this hyper focus on play calling. There's the matter of his team being undisciplined and penalty prone.

And if winning cures all ills, losing reveals those ills that have been overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint with the team is the lack of talent. Damn, starting to sound like the Captain now.... Who are our super stars? Rodgers. We have 3 that are right the edge: Davante, Clark, and Bhak. 2 young guys that are up and comers that might be in Jones and Alexander.

The last of Thompson's drafts have left the team barren. There are too many holes and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken.....stuff.

We're going to better next year. It doesn't matter if we keep McCarthy or fire him. The 2018 draft class will be older, the 2019 draft class should infuse more talent, and we'll (in theory) pick 1-3 FAs to fill a few gaps.

This is a repeat of 2008. Rodgers statistically looks good, but is taking too many hits and the roster needs an over-haul. We've cheated slightly, in that we already have the new DC on staff. The next two years are primed for potential deep playoff pushes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Jones as an up-and-comer. Great athlete, same problems as he had in college -from the neck up. Low football IQ.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers ability to change plays has been known for a long time. once MM allowed that genie out of the bottle there was no putting it back. the failure of the O is on both of them. some flexibility is good but wholesale ability to change things is bad. that's one reason i say the new coach is going to be between a rock and a hard place. reeling in the prima donna is going to be near impossible...and we already know he's not shy about calling out the coach. who's going to want to take that on?

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint with the team is the lack of talent. Damn, starting to sound like the Captain now.... Who are our super stars? Rodgers. We have 3 that are right the edge: Davante, Clark, and Bhak. 2 young guys that are up and comers that might be in Jones and Alexander.

The last of Thompson's drafts have left the team barren. There are too many holes and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken.....stuff.

We're going to better next year. It doesn't matter if we keep McCarthy or fire him. The 2018 draft class will be older, the 2019 draft class should infuse more talent, and we'll (in theory) pick 1-3 FAs to fill a few gaps.

This is a repeat of 2008. Rodgers statistically looks good, but is taking too many hits and the roster needs an over-haul. We've cheated slightly, in that we already have the new DC on staff. The next two years are primed for potential deep playoff pushes.

this off-season the Packers are going to have to fix edge, multiple lb and o-line, safety, possibly wr and cb, issues. all that AND a new coach with a completely new offensive system (hopefully they keep Pettine). when it comes to free agency they'll have to pay more because it's GB. it's going to take guts and money (both dicey commodities) to win in the short term (which is all the Rodgers window has left). nope...it's going to take more than one or two seasons to fix this mess.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The offense in entirety is broken. The responsibility is on both of them, but you aren't going to get rid of Rodgers. Their partnership isn't working, and McCarthy is the obvious replacement candidate.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers ability to change plays has been known for a long time. once MM allowed that genie out of the bottle there was not putting it back. the failure of the O is on both of them. some flexibility is good but wholesale ability to change things is bad. that's one reason i say the new coach is going to be between a rock and a hard place. reeling in the prima donna is going to be near impossible...and we already know he's not shy about calling out the coach. who's going to want to take that on?
Bad as I hate to say it. Harbaugh would and I don't mean John. Harbaugh is an a** but I think he would have Rodgers' respect and Harbaugh doesn't back down. Disclaimer...I am not advocating Harbaugh for the job.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a ton of conjecture imbedded in that stuff. And they're tripping over each other to take the blame, which is as it should be.

One thing we can be sure of: The guy with the massive contract is not going anywhere for a long, long time.

Good or bad, he's all ours for at least 4 more years. Wonder what Rodger's would bring in draft picks in a trade?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson drafted Davante, Clark and Bakh. And Kevin King.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Thompson drafted Davante, Clark and Bakh. And Kevin King.
Even the worst GMs in the league hit on some draft picks. The problem with Thompson is that he failed to consistently get it right the past few years of his tenure.

Kenny Clark is one selection in Thompson's last three drafts out of the names you mentioned. I wouldn't count Kevin King as a pick that has panned out just yet. He can't even consistently stay on the field.

2015 was a wasted draft all together. 2016 wasn't much better outside of Clark (I do like Blake Martinez, but not an elite player by any stretch), and right now I'll give Thompson credit for Aaron Jones in 2017.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've gotten some good players from the last few drafts, but it's been like 1. Very good players, but you need to have some fill in guys that are serviceable NFL guys with experience, or have experience by now. Those guys should be developed and rounding out this roster, but they're not here. It has hurt us. The good ones are really good, but there's no support from those drafts. It's all been guys at the end of their career taking up the task or completely new guys filling those roles and when there's injuries it's not a new player filling with experience around him, it's new guys working with new guys working with new guys. It affects things.

I think our past 2 drafts have been decent. Thompson's last one was ok to good, and I think Gute's first was really good. those guys have had to play a lot by necessity, so hopefully we get some big jumps in guys next year and another good draft. Fill in 2,3,4 decent to good FA's and we're not looking too badly at all roster wise.

H

HardRightEdge

Good or bad, he's all ours for at least 4 more years. Wonder what Rodger's would bring in draft picks in a trade?
You couldn't trade him if you wanted to because the balance of his signing bonus would be charged against the Packers cap. That's $46 mil in dead cap. No way, no how.

In this past off-season before the new contract was signed, I would have been fine with trading him for two first round picks and other considerations from a bad team where at least the 2018 pick would have considerable value. That's not 20/20 highsight. I said as much at the time. That door has now closed for some time to come.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds like MM may need to leave not because he is bad, but because Rodgers doesn't respect him.
Problem is, if this is really what's going on, Rodgers isn't likely to respect the next head coach either. Unless he's a guy with really good credentials, or the kind of guy who simply isn't going to put up with any nonsense.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a few have said, there is no respect that Rodgers gives MM and you aren't going to fire Rodgers. So unfortunately you're going to have to bring in someone that he would respect for the last few years he is behind center. Rodgers also has to let go of his ego a little bit because he is going to be 35. His elusiveness in the pocket and speed to avoid is going to slowly be declining. Rolling out and being that jazz beat player as Greg Cosell says is not going to work as well. He is already taking punishment this year, don't want that to continue.

But the coaches, and Rodgers, need to really work with the WRs to be where they are supposed to be. Look at how Brees operates, especially last week. He hit 4 people no one heard of outside of the Saints organization. If you are open and where you are supposed to be, you're getting the ball. Seems like Rodgers looks at Adams and if covered, the ball is thrown away or sacked. Part of me wonders if all the throw aways and play changes is a way that Rodgers is getting back at Packers and MM for getting rid of Jordy, Cook and Van Pelt. Only because he can appear very passive aggressive.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand what you are saying and I agree about the lack of talent but you don't need superstars to win. The Bears are 8-3 and how many superstars do they have? 1 (Mack) What about the Patriots? 2 (Brady and Gronk) Now those 2 teams may have more players that are close than the Packers do but I would add Linsley and to the Packers list and maybe Martinez and Daniels and based on what I've seen this year maybe Aaron Jones as well. That's 9 players at least that are more than "good enough" Now I realize that 9 out of 22 starters is not great but I think where the lack of talent does the Packers in is in their depth. If the starters are not in for whatever reason the backups simply can't get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts