Now that we are out, who'd you rather win this SB?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody but the Vikings and the Patriots. I don't care if the Vikings are from the NFC north. Can't stand them No How No Way.:sick::sick:

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England v. New Orleans. Don't care who wins. I don't even want MN getting to the game. It's bad enough living in Minneapolis during the football season. I don't need that in my life.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will say, he is a "fashionable" kind of guy! The Guy "Rompers" are in aren't they?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I see what you did there Poker. But since you included NFL titles before the merger, what about the 1997 season that ended with a Super Bowl loss?
1997 loss did not entail a world championship or NFL title. Why would he list it? BTW, the Vikings DID win an NFL title as until SBV, the AFL and NFL had their own titles.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1997 loss did not entail a world championship or NFL title. Why would he list it? BTW, the Vikings did win an NFL title as until SB V, the AFL and NFL had their own titles.

So the text box is inaccurate because pre-merger titles are included for Green Bay, but not Minnesota.

This is how I think of it: better to lose in the plyaoffs than be out of it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So the text box is inaccurate because pre-merger titles are included for Green Bay, but not Minnesota.

This is how I think of it: better to lose in the plyaoffs than be out of it.
The graphic is technically accurate as it denotes world championships not NFL titles. Pre SB1 and starting with SB5, the NFL title was/is the world championship. SB1-4 were for the world championship. The NFL & AFL each had their own champions thus the Vikings claim to an NFL title. IIRC SBs 1 and 2 were not even called the Super Bowl but the world championship game.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The graphic is technically accurate as it denotes world championships not NFL titles. Pre SB1 and starting with SB5, the NFL title was/is the world championship. SB1-4 were for the world championship. The NFL & AFL each had their own champions thus the Vikings claim to an NFL title. IIRC SBs 1 and 2 were not even called the Super Bowl but the world championship game.

The first two Super Bowls were called the NFL-AFL Championship Game. The first Lombardi Trophy with the words Super Bowl on it was for SB3.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first two Super Bowls were called the NFL-AFL Championship Game. The first Lombardi Trophy with the words Super Bowl on it was for SB3.
I'm still perplexed as to why professional sports leagues need fancy names for their championship games; Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, Finals, etc. Just call a spade a spade and name the championship game in your respective league the championship, and refer to the winners as champions.

MLB Champions
NBA Champions
NFL Champions
NHL Champions
NCAA (insert sport here) Champions

WHAT'S SO DIFFICULT ABOUT THAT?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still perplexed as to why professional sports leagues need fancy names for their championship games; Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, Finals, etc. Just call a spade a spade and name the championship game in your respective league the championship, and refer to the winners as champions.

MLB Champions
NBA Champions
NFL Champions
NHL Champions

The NFL likes to have a "North Division Champion, NFC Championship game".....etc......sells more merchandise and tickets.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MLB Champions
NBA Champions
NFL Champions
NHL Champions

I agree on the Stanley Cup and Super Bowl. What is wrong with Finals in basketball?

There is nothing to complain about in the NCAA. The College Football Playoff is called just that - the national championship.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The first two SB trophies are engraved with "World Professional Football Championship" and have the NFL and AFL logos. The trophy handed out after the first game is engraved "The World Pro football champion" with the pedestal having a plaque with the final score and does not look like the current iteration of the Lombardi trophy.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither was the Titans in Super Bowl 34. All signs pointed to the Jaguars getting in that one.

Disagree. Tennessee was 13-3 that year and had already beaten Jacksonville twice. They also beat Peyton/the Colts in their first big playoff game and the Rob Johnson led Bills. The 03 Panthers and 07 Giants were bigger long shots imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The first two SB trophies are engraved with "World Professional Football Championship" and have the NFL and AFL logos. The trophy handed out after the first game is engraved "The World Pro football champion" with the pedestal having a plaque with the final score and does not look like the current iteration of the Lombardi trophy.

Sometimes I wish I was old enough to remember these things ;) Or is it once you get too old, you forget them? There must be a sweet spot in there. The age where you buy a Corvette Convertible and everyone thinks your passenger is your granddaughter, but she is your hot new girlfriend. :geek:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I was old enough to remember these things ;) Or is it once you get too old, you forget them? There must be a sweet spot in there. The age where you buy a Corvette Convertible and everyone thinks your passenger is your granddaughter, but she is your hot new girlfriend. :geek:
My memory of that time is not that good. Actually the data came from the pictures on my media server taken during my visit to the Packers HOF and also their display at the Neville museum while the HOF was being renovated.

Actually, in hindsight, what I thought was the first championship trophy may have been given by the city to the team as there is a reference to Titletown on it. Glare from the flash makes it hard to read.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. Tennessee was 13-3 that year and had already beaten Jacksonville twice. They also beat Peyton/the Colts in their first big playoff game and the Rob Johnson led Bills. The 03 Panthers and 07 Giants were bigger long shots imo.

Rob Johnson was just a guy. Tennessee was the only team to beat Jacksonville and advanced to the divisional round by successfully pulling off a trick play in the last minute. That seems to be all people remember no matter how they got to 13-3.

Members online