1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Notes: Hawk a hard hitter on diamond, too

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers linebacker gets some cuts in BP
    By TOM HAUDRICOURT
    thaudricourt@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: April 4, 2007

With a few tips from Skaalen, Hawk hit a couple of balls out of the park Wednesday when he dabbled in a little early batting practice with the Brewers. His brother, Ryan, a quarterback for the Green Bay Blizzard of Arena Football 2, also took some cuts.

Hawk, who said he hadn't played baseball since he was 13 and never had used a wood bat, was having trouble making solid contact until Skaalen called him over for a few pointers. Skaalen had seen athletes from other sports over-swing when taking BP for the first time.

"They get all jumpy, trying to launch," said Skaalen. "I just told him to keep his head down and still, and to use his hands."

Hawk then stepped back in the cage and sent a couple of offerings from pitching coach Mike Maddux over the fence in left at Miller Park.

"It's been a few years," said Hawk, who was decked out in a Brewers uniform. "It was fun though. I hit a couple out. I really wasn't sure I could do that with a wooden bat."

Hawk, whose wife, Laura, was on hand, later threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Geoff Jenkins, who some say resembles Brett Favre, made a nice scoop of the hard one-hopper.

Hawk said he quit playing baseball when he got to high school to concentrate on football.