1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Noble vs Hawk

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Mar 5, 2014.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,457
    I was up in the middle of the night and saw the NFL network replaying Favre's first game against the Bengals. Watching Brian Noble play reminded me quite a bit of Hawk. Have at it. Whom do you think was a better ILB for the Packers?

2. OCBP

OCBP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Noble always a beast against the Bears. Noble a 5th round draft choice--Hawk a top 5 pick. Both very durable. Both respected in the locker room. Flip a coin outside expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    My gut initial reaction is Noble. I just don't remember him getting blown up nearly as much as Hawk does and he made more big plays.

4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,031
    I can't find tackle stats for Noble but in 9 seasons he had 14 sacks and 3 INTs (according to nfl.com) while Hawk in 8 seasons has 18.5 sacks and 9 INTs. My recollection is Noble was better vs. the run but Hawk is more athletic and (believe it or not) better vs. the pass. That's not enough of a difference considering where they were drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,839
    Yep. I think Hawk is better.

I remember what Noble once said on a tv interview. He said that when Ron Wolf became the GM he had a meeting with all the players. Brian thought, as the starter, he would be respected by Wolf and the meeting was to get his insight on the defense. Instead Wolf flat out told him something like: 'you are a good player, but not good enough. We will keep you till we find a better player.'

6. Pack....man!!!

Pack....man!!! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Man !! I remember Noble, the League was different then too, but Brian Noble was hard nosed ILB.... I don't know , i think is a toss up...but Brian Nobles's pads were freaking huge....lol... I remember him taking on Okoye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Hawk all the way, no question.

8. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,457
    This thread was meant to ignore the draft positions and just judge the players on their play.

Looking through the 2013 Packers Media Guide (http://www.packers.com/history/record-book.html) I found:

- Both have led the team in tackles for four seasons
    - Hawk holds the record for 7th most tackles in a season - 155 tackles in 2006 (his rookie year)
    - Noble had 104 tackles in his 1985 rookie season

I found this article from the J/S that said (http://www3.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul02/59565.asp?format=print):
    - Noble started 108 of the 115 games he played in and finished his career with 535 unassisted tackles, 307 assisted tackles and 14 sacks.
    - Hawk has 580 unassisted tackles, 257 assisted, and 18.5 sacks.

Some interesting things from the end of the article above:
    and most importantly:

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,457
    Another interesting stat from Pro Football is that Hawk has 4 forced fumbles and 5 fumble recoveries. Noble had zero forced fumbles but 11 recoveries. It's a bit shocking that Hawk, lambasted for his lack of play-making abilities has more forced fumbles than Noble, a run-stopper. Most of us certainly want to see more turnovers from our ILB position, but this one is more than a little surprising.

• Agree Agree x 1