No ones talking about Tightend

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the talk about defense (rightfully so) IMO the tightend position still needs to be addressed. Richard Rogers and Andrew Quarless were serviceable at best but neither guy is going to keep a D coordinator up at night. Rogers made some nice plays but a tightend who can consistently beat one on one coverage and destroy a cover 2 would automatically make Rodgers better. Even with all his greatness. When you don't really have great tightend play it makes it easier to defend you in the red zone, and if thePackers had that guy against Seattle we blow them out instead if blowing the game because we had to settle for field goals giving their offense hope against our suspect defense. I wonder if TT even talked to Cameron, or any of the other guys that are on the market?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need a superstar at every single position. There are at least 3 positions of more critical concern on defense. And lastly, there is no FA solution and this is a weak TE draft class.

Sky King

Reaction score
Quarless has peaked. Serviceable may be right. But he's a decent #2 TE and occasional starter.

Refinement of his blocking skills makes Richard Rodgers an attractive long-term option, though. His soft hands, length, strength and season's worth of quality experience are significant positives to build on. He's off to a good start. Guile may help offset that marginal speed and he seems to be bright. Personally, I have hope this guy will turn-out to be pretty good, pretty quickly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers is going to turn out to be a nice find at TE. We have Cobb and Nelson to keep coordinators up at night. Toss in a little Lacy and a QB named Rodgers and I'm not worried about our offense

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are okay for now. We should at least wait and see what Rodgers can do to grow his game. There's only so many Jimmy Grahams and Rob Gronkowskis in the league.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Waller 6-6 241 4.46 1.57 40/10 37 vert only 12 bench idk he puts on ten pounds gains some strength he could be a replacement for finley.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could add a TE. I was looking at the MN TE Maxx something. Pictured him and Rodgers in the two TE set being pretty dominating. WIth Nelson/Cobb split and Lacy back...

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that a stud is not necessary here but, a taller, bigger, and more stout TE who can throw an occasional block would be nice. The offense's production in the red zone in 2014 was awful and this kind of TE would do wonders.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that a stud is not necessary here but, a taller, bigger, and more stout TE who can throw an occasional block would be nice. The offense's production in the red zone in 2014 was awful and this kind of TE would do wonders.
I'm pretty sure we established in a different thread it wasn't awful

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely an area of weakness and the last piece of an offense that would be near flawless, but it's such a low priority due to the lack of talent on the defense that we need to look towards the other side of the ball when adding someone to this team.

There wasn't any TEs worth a FA deal and this draft is TE weak at the top

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't have to come out of free agency but it would be nice to have a Finley type. No I didn't say Jimmy Graham or Gronk because of course those guys are a different breed but The Finley types are easier to come by. Finley was still a problem for a defense even when he was in the red zone because you could spilt him out against corners and he could win consistently. We don't have a guy like on the roster now...especially when you have to line Julius Peppers up out wide on the goal line. Peppers is a great athlete but his job isn't catching the ball it's the tightends. If MM felt more comfortable lining him up out there vs one of the guys who actually get paid to play the position? Yea we need a tightend....just not as bad as nt or Ilb but it's still a need.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Doesn't have to come out of free agency but it would be nice to have a Finley type. No I didn't say Jimmy Graham or Gronk because of course those guys are a different breed but The Finley types are easier to come by.
Easier to come by than two of the best? Sure, but still not easy or those kind of TEs would be all over the league. Perhaps you could point out 2-3 TEs the Packers should target in the draft?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let us not forget that there is a TE they thought highly enough of to add to the active roster and yet never actually play in Perillo. IIRC he caught everything and I mean everything in sight during camp and preseason last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that TE is probably the only position on offense in need of an upgrade. With the Packers having to address several positions on defense there's no need to draft one early though.

Darren Waller 6-6 241 4.46 1.57 40/10 37 vert only 12 bench idk he puts on ten pounds gains some strength he could be a replacement for finley.

Walker played WR at Georgia Tech and doesn't know how to block. It would take some time to develop him into a TE.

We could add a TE. I was looking at the MN TE Maxx something. Pictured him and Rodgers in the two TE set being pretty dominating. WIth Nelson/Cobb split and Lacy back...

No need to spend a first round pick on a TE.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, better is better. However, except for a couple of very short tenures, the Pack has never had a TE that caused the opposition to game-plan for them. Why break with tradition? :)

D

Deleted member 6794

McGinn mentions the Cardinals FA TE Rob Housler as a potential low cost option. He was
Underutilized in Arizona and maybe a nice fit.

Housler wouldn't be a significant upgrade over Quarless and Rodgers. I think I'll pass on him.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easier to come by than two of the best? Sure, but still not easy or those kind of TEs would be all over the league. Perhaps you could point out 2-3 TEs the Packers should target in the draft?

I like Wes Saxton from South Alabama. He's a nice sized target at 6-4 and running a 4.5 isn't a bad thing either. He could improve as a blocker but here's a guy with the quickness to beat lbs . Reminds me of Dallas Clark who was pretty good for several years.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Wes Saxton from South Alabama. He's a nice sized target at 6-4 and running a 4.5 isn't a bad thing either. He could improve as a blocker but here's a guy with the quickness to beat lbs . Reminds me of Dallas Clark who was pretty good for several years.

Saxton ran a 4.65 at the combine and was measured at 6-3. I agree though that he could turn into a nice receiving TE in the league.

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Housler is the guy in free agency. Worth a flyer, definitely has more potential then quarrels and can stretch the field. Did a lot before arians arrived; arians doesn't utilize a pass catching TE like houser so his stats plummeted.

Guy runs a 4.4 40 and is 6'5''.

2013 caught 39 passes for 454 yards and in 2014 caught 45 passes for 417 yards. Not terrible production. I think their is some promise their.

What about Finley, any word on if he is still trying to make a comeback after collecting that insurance money? Haven't seen or heard any reports since he turned down 2-3 contracts in august or september. I wonder if the Packers are still keeping tabs on him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The roster has two designated kickers and a spot for a long snapper that works about 10-15 plays a game. How about a 6'10"-7'2" designated red zone receiver. Teach a power forward / center to go into the end zone, turn around and jump really really high to pull down lob passes? Also works for short passes to get a first down. Might help bat down a few field goals too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Housler is the guy in free agency. Worth a flyer, definitely has more potential then quarrels and can stretch the field. Did a lot before arians arrived; arians doesn't utilize a pass catching TE like houser so his stats plummeted.

Guy runs a 4.4 40 and is 6'5''.

2013 caught 39 passes for 454 yards and in 2014 caught 45 passes for 417 yards. Not terrible production. I think their is some promise their.

What about Finley, any word on if he is still trying to make a comeback after collecting that insurance money? Haven't seen or heard any reports since he turned down 2-3 contracts in august or september. I wonder if the Packers are still keeping tabs on him.

I would prefer to upgrade the position with a red zone target, Housler has caught one TD during his four year career.

Finley won't play another down in the league.

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to upgrade the position with a red zone target, Housler has caught one TD during his four year career.

Finley won't play another down in the league.

Disagree about Finley, someone will clearly offer him. Depends on what he ends up deciding. But Housler will be someone that they may have to gameplay for which may open up other players. All about scheme, if he starts making plays then people will have to cover him which will leave other players open. He doesn't necessarily need to be that redzone threat to open up redzone opportunities if you know what i mean.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Finley was the 91st pick in the third round of the 2008 and caught 6 passes his rookie season. Thompson could hit on a good seam-splitting TE in the draft and he still probably won't contribute much this season. Like it or not, my guess is the best hope at TE is the progress R.Rodgers makes from his first season to the second.

D

Deleted member 6794

Disagree about Finley, someone will clearly offer him. Depends on what he ends up deciding. But Housler will be someone that they may have to gameplay for which may open up other players. All about scheme, if he starts making plays then people will have to cover him which will leave other players open. He doesn't necessarily need to be that redzone threat to open up redzone opportunities if you know what i mean.

I've said all along since Finley's injury that no team will clear him to return to the field.

The Packers need another red zone target and a TE capable of blocking for the run. Housler can't do any of it.