No ones talking about Tightend

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said all along since Finley's injury that no team will clear him to return to the field.

The Packers need another red zone target and a TE capable of blocking for the run. Housler can't do any of it.

The steelers team doctor cleared him last year and was offered a contract, he declined it because he was trying to get his insurance money. There was also reports that he got 2-3 other offers. Teams don't offer contracts to people that haven't been cleared. He has been cleared and offered contracts, but he wants that insurance money before he plays again. So i disagree with your point on finley, theater he plays ever again is up to him and his family, the offers have/and will continue to be there.

D

Deleted member 6794

The steelers team doctor cleared him last year and was offered a contract, he declined it because he was trying to get his insurance money. There was also reports that he got 2-3 other offers. Teams don't offer contracts to people that haven't been cleared. He has been cleared and offered contracts, but he wants that insurance money before he plays again. So i disagree with your point on finley, theater he plays ever again is up to him and his family, the offers have/and will continue to be there.

Finley's only getting the insurance money if he won't be able to play anymore.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that TE is probably the only position on offense in need of an upgrade. With the Packers having to address several positions on defense there's no need to draft one early though.

Walker played WR at Georgia Tech and doesn't know how to block. It would take some time to develop him into a TE.

No need to spend a first round pick on a TE.
I like Quarless. So if we dont add a good TE, he will most likely be bench warmer this year.

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not according to this report http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...y-to-file-claim-on-insurance-policy/17046723/
“The policy stipulates Finley can collect the money if he hasn’t played in four games and wouldn’t prevent him from trying a comeback in the future – perhaps even later this season,” Pelissero writes.
That is what the story says but it doesn’t make common sense to me. How long would Lloyds of London be in business if they paid players a $10M disability settlement after missing four games and then resuming their careers? Here’s a couple of quotes from a Yahoo sports story that questions whether or not Finley will get the $10M:
"If I quit the game right now, I can take tax-free money [from my insurance policy], and that's a difficult thing that I'm going through with myself," Finley told USA Today last month. But an insurance executive and insurance recovery attorney tell Yahoo Sports it's highly unlikely Finley will have that kind of decision to make. In fact, some of the comments made by Finley's agent, Blake Baratz, call into question whether the talented tight end will be able to collect any portion of that $10 million insurance policy. "Dr. Maroon, the [Pittsburgh] Steelers neurosurgeon performed the surgery and actually just gave him full clearance the other day," Baratz told ProFootballTalk Live in May. "It's not gonna be a no-brainer … decision that Jermichael's just going to come back and play football. He's protected financially with a big disability insurance policy [if he decides not to come back and play]."
The story says Chris Larcheveque is an executive vice president of International Specialty Insurance.
"Where they hurt themselves, is they put out the theory that he's OK to play football," Larcheveque said. "Why would Lloyds [of London] pay $10 million on a disability policy if the player and his agent put in their head that he actually can play the game? Lloyds is going to tell the judge when they go to court, and they're going to go to court, that a top surgeon says he can play, and that he's not totally permanently disabled which is what he has to be to collect that money. His agent laid the foundation for Lloyds to make their argument."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jermic...ack-plan-might-not-be-firm-224403667-nfl.html

Another story said the only way Finley would get that kind of settle on a disability claim that wasn’t permanent is if the premium he paid was nearly $10M, and of course that wasn't the case. Finley may or may not play in the NFL again but he may not get his $10M insurance payout, particularly if he plays again. If he does play again I’ll bet the Packers won’t be in the bidding for his services because they may be more cautious about his health than he, his agent, or the doctor who cleared him are.

H

HardRightEdge

With Kuhn unsigned there is no lead blocker on the roster.

An H-back instead of a FB would be an option; the TE that is signed or drafted might not be of the type anticipated in this thread.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Finley hasn't come back yet, he's not going too. Everything is healed, its not going to heal any differently anymore.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Kuhn unsigned there is no lead blocker on the roster.

An H-back instead of a FB would be an option; the TE that is signed or drafted might not be of the type anticipated in this thread.
I'm probably in a small minority but, I would dearly love another William Henderson...a lead blocker who can catch an occasional check-down pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm probably in a small minority but, I would dearly love another William Henderson...a lead blocker who can catch an occasional check-down pass.

In today´s NFL there´s not really a need for a FB like that. While Kuhn has done an admirable job for the Packers more athletic TEs have mostly been given those assignments.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At let's be clear about Finley. There is no disagreement that he was a tremendous player, but in all my reviews of stats and what people have provided, there is no evidence that our offense was clearly better when Finley was healthy. He had great games for sure, but not consistently and they didn't always correlate to big wins.

We definitely need better blocking out of our tight ends, and even our O-line, for our offense to click. I was pleased with Richard Rodgers' progress in 2014. This is a lower round priority in my draft strategy, well behind the defensive needs.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rory Anderson is a finley type while I suppose Waller is more a jimmy Graham type. Anderson is 6-5 244. Waller may not be able to block at 6-6 241 but he can run past people down the seam with 4.46 speed and size. And jump over people split out wide with his 37 in. vertical. Jg not much of a blocker.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rory Anderson is a finley type while I suppose Waller is more a jimmy Graham type. Anderson is 6-5 244. Waller may not be able to block at 6-6 241 but he can run past people down the seam with 4.46 speed and size. And jump over people split out wide with his 37 in. vertical. Jg not much of a blocker.

I like Anderson as a late round pick. He has to add some weight to be able to block in-line and work on his hands to reduce the drops though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did see one mock draft that had the Packers taking Maxx Williams at #30. With our needs at corner and ILB I doubt that will happen, but Ted has been known to do what no one expects before.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did see one mock draft that had the Packers taking Maxx Williams at #30. With our needs at corner and ILB I doubt that will happen, but Ted has been known to do what no one expects before.

There´s no way the Packers should think about taking an offensive player with their first round pick.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree due to CB, ILB, and NT being higher needs. If all the players remaining in those positions are a reach at #30, meaning that the good ones are gone and the ones available are projected for lower rounds, I'd prefer that we trade back as TT did in 2008 with Jordy. I'm a quantity instead of quality guy in terms of draft strategy. If there aren't any takers for taking our #30 pick, I'd be fine with the top TE as I view it as our fourth highest need.

Imagine what would happen if we reach for a 2nd/3rd round CB or ILB at the #30 pick. For a decade he'll get unfairly analyzed through the first-round-pick lens.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree due to CB, ILB, and NT being higher needs. If all the players remaining in those positions are a reach at #30, meaning that the good ones are gone and the ones available are projected for lower rounds, I'd prefer that we trade back as TT did in 2008 with Jordy. I'm a quantity instead of quality guy in terms of draft strategy. If there aren't any takers for taking our #30 pick, I'd be fine with the top TE as I view it as our fourth highest need.

Imagine what would happen if we reach for a 2nd/3rd round CB or ILB at the #30 pick. For a decade he'll get unfairly analyzed through the first-round-pick lens.

I would be in favour of trading back as well if there aren't any impact players available at a position of need but Thompson would have to find another team wanting to move up.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will be VERY concerned if TT passes on a guy that could potentially shore up the run defense to grab another target for Aaron to throw at. We have Cobb returning, let's shelf the tight end/redzone receiver situation until about the 4th round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd embrace adding a possible TE (outside the 1st round) but don't see it as a desperate need. If I was TT I'd not look to force a TE selection till the 3rd or 4th or later.....Rodgers is possible going to grow into something special and Quarless is a serviceable gamer that isn't bad and isn't great....the kind of player teams need at various positions.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Waller could be an interesting TE/WR hybrid. He would definitely need to add weight and who knows if he could even block at that position, but it might be worth a shot.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm high on Nick O'Leary from FSU. The guy is a good blocker...and hes sneaky and gets wide open and knows the hole in zones. He reminds me so much of Dallas Clark.

He'd be a good pick in the 5th.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I will be VERY concerned if TT passes on a guy that could potentially shore up the run defense to grab another target for Aaron to throw at. We have Cobb returning, let's shelf the tight end/redzone receiver situation until about the 4th round.
I will be very concerned if Ted Thompson does not stay true to his board.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm high on Nick O'Leary from FSU. The guy is a good blocker...and hes sneaky and gets wide open and knows the hole in zones. He reminds me so much of Dallas Clark.

He'd be a good pick in the 5th.

O´Leary is a similar type of player than Richard Rodgers, he probably wouldn´t be an upgrade over the guys we currently have on the roster.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Leary is a better in-line blocker than Richard Rodgers is. I want us to get a TE that is a good in-line blocker and a decent threat to catch balls up field. That is exactly what O'Leary is.

Members online

Latest posts