Nicholas Joel Perry

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry is a good player when healthy and playing on the right side. They should switch Matthews back to the left and let Perry play on the right. If he can stay healthy and rush from the right side for a full season I see him getting double digit sacks.

It seems like Perry is more natural rushing the passer from the right side, but that´s not the only assignment of an OLB in a 3-4. He has to improve his coverage significantly to become an impact player for the team.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO a cap hit of more than $2 million isn´t on the cheap side for a player not producing constantly. He will be on the roster though because releasing him would result in dead money accounting for an even higher cap hit.

It's not cheap. My question wasn't if we could find a cheaper guy to play OLB. If we're just looking at cheaper players then we're saying we would rather have a special teams player over a guy that is our starting OLB and has the potential to be pretty good at it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Perry is more natural rushing the passer from the right side, but that´s not the only assignment of an OLB in a 3-4. He has to improve his coverage significantly to become an impact player for the team.

Not really, Packers OLBs rush the passer over 80% of the time, at least they did last year. Coverage is important but not really a major factor.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy seems none to happy with the former 1st round pick, very annoyed actually. I had hopes he would really thrive in the elephant role but it looks like he's destined for another season in the "trainers" room. I know he didn't come out of college injured and he's had more success on the field but he seems to be destined to follow the John Michels and Justin Harrell path in the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/packers-mccarthy-calls-perry-other-235002636--nfl.html
Yeah I mean how does a guy come into OTAs injured? Either he suffered a bigger injury than anyone knew, or he wasn't very careful. MM has a right to be upset. I'll be happy if D. Jones and Peppers fill the void this year. Either way, it's a career make-or-break season for Perry.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not cheap. My question wasn't if we could find a cheaper guy to play OLB. If we're just looking at cheaper players then we're saying we would rather have a special teams player over a guy that is our starting OLB and has the potential to be pretty good at it.

I don't expect Perry to be one of our starting OLB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not really, Packers OLBs rush the passer over 80% of the time, at least they did last year. Coverage is important but not really a major factor.

While that´s true I don´t expect Perry to get a lot of these pass rush snaps as Matthews, Peppers and Neal are ahead of him on the depth chart. The Packers won´t drop Peppers into coverage so Perry would be able to get some snaps there, but therefore he has to improve.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Perry to be one of our starting OLB.

You're focusing too much on the literal words and not enough on the actual point of what I'm saying. Can we get a guy for Perry's salary that has similar potential/talent in our defense?

D

Deleted member 6794

You're focusing too much on the literal words and not enough on the actual point of what I'm saying. Can we get a guy for Perry's salary that has similar potential/talent in our defense?

I think it´s possible that Carl Bradford or Adrian Hubbard could have a similar impact to what Perry has offered over the last two seasons. Both of them are way cheaper options.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The depth chart at OLB/elephant looks something like this: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Mulumba, Bradford, Palmer, Hubbard, and Elliott. Obviously I don’t know the order – and it’ll change in TC - but that’s nine players. As far as potential, I’d add Mulumba along with the rookies Hubbard and Bradford.

Of course I hope Perry can stay healthy and consistently play up to his potential. But he doesn’t, I hope they don’t keep him because of the cap hit.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see anything in the article pointed directly at Perry. The decision to sit him out of OTAs is made by the medical staff. Clay Mathews is sitting out too...... With the internet and the need/ability to fill a zillion web pages all sorts of stuff gets over analyzed.

D

Deleted member 6794

The depth chart at OLB/elephant looks something like this: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Mulumba, Bradford, Palmer, Hubbard, and Elliott. Obviously I don’t know the order – and it’ll change in TC - but that’s nine players. As far as potential, I’d add Mulumba along with the rookies Hubbard and Bradford.

Of course I hope Perry can stay healthy and consistently play up to his potential. But he doesn’t, I hope they don’t keep him because of the cap hit.

I just don´t see them releasing Perry this season as it would result in an additional $1 million cap hit. The battle for the last spots at OLB will be an interesting one in camp as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t expect Perry to be waived either. If they turn their talk into action I expect Perry to either improve his coverage skills or be used in situations in which he is seldom called upon to cover. My point is I don’t want him kept at the expense of a youngster just because of the cap hit incurred if he’s waived.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t expect Perry to be waived either. If they turn their talk into action I expect Perry to either improve his coverage skills or be used in situations in which he is seldom called upon to cover. My point is I don’t want him kept at the expense of a youngster just because of the cap hit incurred if he’s waived.

I agree that if one of the youngers plays way better than him the Packers shouldn´t keep Perry just because of the cap hit it would result it, but the front office has to consider the ramifications on the cap as well.

Members online

Latest posts