Nfln Top 10 Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Saturday 9-17 at 9pm Packer time, there will be a top ten Packers of all time!!

I guess it will include

Brett
Bart
Reggie
Lofton
Kramer
Hutson
Fuzzy
Taylor
Ray
Hornung

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy if Sterling Sharpe and Willie Wood was there too but considering how many great Packers there are it'll be tough to pick.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can bet with the man love on NFLN for Arod, he will make that list. Superbowl MVP QB sticks in the mind.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO both Lambeau and Lombardi are obviously among the “10 greatest Packers” but I’m assuming they’re talking about players. While Lambeau played I think he’s in the HOF for being a founder of the Packers and multiple title winning head coach.

Excluding Lambeau and Lombardi, here is the list of Packers in the NFL HOF who played for the Packers five or more years.

OT Cal Hubbard
WR Don Huson
HB John McNally
OG Mike Michalske
QB Arnie Herber
HB Tony Canadeo
FB Jim Taylor
OT Forrest Gregg
QB Bart Starr
LB Ray Nitschke
CB Herb Adderley
DE Willie Davis
OC Jim Ringo
HB Paul Hornung
S Willie Wood
DT Henry Jordon
WR James Lofton
DE Reggie White

I’ll be surprise if a player not on this list makes it (except for Lambeau, Lombardi, and Favre who will be in the HOF). I'm assuming they'll exclude active players but who knows?

Here’s my list:

Cal Hubbard
Don Hutson
Tony Canadeo
Jim Taylor
Forrest Gregg
Bart Starr
Ray Nitschke
Herb Adderley
Reggie White
Brett Favre

I've probably got too many old timers on the list and too many lineman. Lists like this usually emphasize "skill" positions and more modern players who have better quality highlights. (Bolded players have had their numbers retired so the Packers organization has 'em on this list.)

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New poster...

Given that this is NFL network, there's a good shot there will be some kind of gimmick on the list. I believe they put Gene Upshaw and Art Shell together at #1 on Top 10 Raiders.

If there's no gimmick and no coaches, here's who I have as shoo-ins for the top 10:

Don Hutson
Bart Starr
Forrest Gregg
Ray Nitschke
Brett Favre
Reggie White

Beyond that, it's hard to guess who they'll include. By all rights there should be more Lambeau era Packers, and I would guess Johnny Blood McNally, Cal Hubbard and Arnie Herber are the most likely of those. The most likely additional Lombardi era Packers would be Herb Adderly, Jim Taylor and Willie Davis. Jerry Kramer is an outside shot so they can do a Hall of Fame rant. I could see them putting Rodgers or Woodson on just to include a current player, but I hope they don't. I'm hoping Bart Starr is #2 and Don Hutson is #1; that's how they are in my book.

BTW, ThxJackVainisi, you missed Clarke Hinkle on your list of HoF Packers. He won't make the top 10.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what NFL network has done for other teams

Steelers:
1. Joe Greene
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Franco Harris
4. Rod Woodson
5. Jack Lambert
6. Mel Blount
7. Troy Polamalu
8. Hines Ward
9. Lynn Swann
10. Jerome Bettis

Raiders:
00 Jim Otto
1. Gene Upshaw and Art Shell
2. Howie Long
3. Fred Biletnikoff
4. Ken Stabler
5. Tim Brown
6. George Blanda
7. Cliff Branch
8. Jim Plunkett
9. Willie Brown
10. Marcus Allen

Cowboys:
1. Tom Landry
2. Roger Staubach
3. Michael Irvin
4. Bob Lilly
5. Emmitt Smith
6. Troy Aikman
7. Tony Dorsett
8. Randy White
9. Don Meredith
10. Drew Pearson

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing how they have included coaches for other teams, I would now be surprised if Vince is left off the list.

No matter what 10 they choose, there will probably be someone somewhere who will wonder why so-and-so didn't make the list.
10 is obviously too few.
But it is what it is and what it is, is just one networks opinion.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only included coaches for the Cowboys. Noll and Madden would be locks for the Steelers and Raiders if they considered coaches for those lists. I'm hoping they don't do coaches; if they did Lambeau and Lombardi would have to be #1 and 2, and then there's only room to talk about 8 players.

I think Tony Canadeo has no chance at making the list. He was at war during his only championship season, he was all about versatility and today's game is all about specialization, and no one but Packer fans will care that he was a lifelong Packer and has his number retired. Honestly, I'm just hoping Canadeo gets mentioned in a "Best of the Rest" segment.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New poster...

Given that this is NFL network, there's a good shot there will be some kind of gimmick on the list. I believe they put Gene Upshaw and Art Shell together at #1 on Top 10 Raiders.

If there's no gimmick and no coaches, here's who I have as shoo-ins for the top 10:

Don Hutson
Bart Starr
Forrest Gregg
Ray Nitschke
Brett Favre
Reggie White

Beyond that, it's hard to guess who they'll include. By all rights there should be more Lambeau era Packers, and I would guess Johnny Blood McNally, Cal Hubbard and Arnie Herber are the most likely of those. The most likely additional Lombardi era Packers would be Herb Adderly, Jim Taylor and Willie Davis. Jerry Kramer is an outside shot so they can do a Hall of Fame rant. I could see them putting Rodgers or Woodson on just to include a current player, but I hope they don't. I'm hoping Bart Starr is #2 and Don Hutson is #1; that's how they are in my book.

BTW, ThxJackVainisi, you missed Clarke Hinkle on your list of HoF Packers. He won't make the top 10.
Great post, man, and welcome to the forum!

I would maybe substitute Taylor with Hornung, for the simple fact that Hornung was the all-time Packer scorer, till I think Longwell surpassed him.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung also set the single season scoring record until Tomlinson beat it. And Hornung did it in a 12 game season.

But Taylor has way, way more yards and TDs. He had 5 straight 1000 yard, 10 TD seasons; Hornung had two 10 TD seasons and never had a 1000 yard seasons. Hornung = Maris, Taylor = Mantle.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Taylor
Kramer
Lofton
Adderley
Hornung
Nitschke
Reggie
Bart Starr

Who is top 2?

Brett and ????

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saturday 9-17 at 9pm Packer time, there will be a top ten Packers of all time!!

I guess it will include

Brett
Bart
Reggie
Lofton
Kramer
Hutson
Fuzzy
Taylor
Ray
Hornung

Wow. Almost perfect. Herb Adderley instead of Fuzzy Thurston.

1. Don Hutson
2. Brett Favre
3. Bart Starr
4. Reggie White
5. Ray Nitschke
6. Paul Hornung
7. Herb Adderley
8. James Lofton
9. Jerry Kramer
10. Jim Taylor

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
No surprise Favre isn't number one, I figured Hutson had it, just reading about what the guy has done is crazy.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agreed with the guy who said why limit it to top 10 Packers. Heck there were 11 Hall of famers from the 60's alone if you count the Coach. But all in all it was a good list. I was surprised neither Curly Lambeau or Vince Lombardi were listed.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A little heavy on the Lombardi era and only Hutson from the pre-SB era? Very restrictive when you are debating HOFers for the top 5 at any position let alone only 10 total.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the criteria is here, but if we're just talking about on-field accomplishments, why is Jerry Kramer here instead of Mike Michalske?
I understand his role as a continuing emissary of the Lombardi years, the books he's written, the fact that he's unfairly been left out of Canton.
However, I would argue that Michalske had a greater playing career. He revolutionized the position of guard in pro football, was brutal two-way player who was a big reason behind the '29-'31 championships, and was the first guard elected to the HOF. If it's purely what happened on the field that counts, it seems to me Michalske had a greater impact on the game than Kramer.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the supposed football experts don't realize anything exists before Johnny Unitas. So Mike Michalske had no chance of making this list, regardless of football accomplishments. I thought Johnny Blood McNally stood a chance, since he is well remembered for that era, he was on the first four championship teams, and he scored 14 TDs for the '31 team that set the scoring record.

I actually can understand to some extent, if there isn't much tape of a guy to watch, it's hard to try to rank him. But to put Jerry Kramer on instead of Forrest Gregg seems a little bit revisionist. That's what happens when a guy becomes a "Hall of Fame snub." He gets inflated and the guys who were considered better in their own day and waltzed into the Hall, get ignored.

Oh well. The Packers list was probably better than the Cowboys list, at least.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts