NFL = No Flowing Locks

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine by me... sorry but I'm not a fan of the long hair.

Me either. I was glad when Jagr of the New York Rangers cut his hair. Other chicks are upset about it. I tell them he looks much better now.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. Maybe what some players should have is detachable hair. A would-be tackler goes in for the tackle and grabs the hair and it comes off like the tail of a lizard. The player goes on to get a TD.

Now, that would be cool. :cool:
That would be hilarious!

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL already has an extremely rigorous dress code, that's not the issue. Nobody is saying the NFL shouldn't have a dress code, or doesn't have the right to restrict hairstyles. They are saying it creates the wrong impression and image to be worried about hairstyles. I want the NFL with variety and spice. NFL players to corporate office workers is not a good analogy. NFL players are entertainers as much as athletes.

I hope this does not pass. Players should wear their hair as they like, at the risk of it being yanked.

Plus I doubt Al can fit his hair in his helmet. Tell me his interception return against Seattle in OT would've been as telegenic without his Predator locks!

This whole thing reminds me of The Simpsons episode with the flashback to Super Bowl 3. Grandpa Simpson dislikes Joe Namath but loves Unitas because he has a haircut you can "set your watch to."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love you in the conversation Cheesy? It would be downright un Packerforumish of you if you weren't part of it!
:shock:
Love you too Trippster!!! :D

Anyway.......the NFL says it doesn't want their hair to cover their nameplates........so...........how about lowering their nameplates so the are BELOW their number on their back? :wink:
This thread will be "hair today, gone tomorrow!"

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
Love you in the conversation Cheesy? It would be downright un Packerforumish of you if you weren't part of it!

Anyway.......the NFL says it doesn't want their hair to cover their nameplates........so...........how about lowering their nameplates so the are BELOW their number on their back? :wink:

Cheesey I thought you were going to suggest what every woman has secretly thought for years. Lower the name plate and put it on their rear.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an outrage. As a man with long hair, I am offended!

Really though doesn't the NFL have more important things to worry about.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Me too.

And the corporate analogy doesn't fly. I have a corporate job. Wear "business casual" and "professional shoes" with long hair. If anyone says anything, I'd simply say "****** discrimination," because women can have long hair or short hair or whatever.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
trippster said:

Cheesey I thought you were going to suggest what every woman has secretly thought for years. Lower the name plate and put it on their rear.
LOL! Believe it or not, i WAS thinking that! But i didn't want to say it, for fear of the ladies here thinking i was sexist or something! :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah.....like getting the next contract done, so we don't have to worry about the salary cap being gone.
But hey.......HAIR LENGTH is MUCH more important then THAT! :roll: :wink:

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually there are some situations where that hair is restricted. IN the Foods industry many times they make you put it up in a net or have it cut short, because noone wants someone ELSEs hair in their food. So to say it isn't important at all is not true. There are occasions where it is true. In my opinion if you have long hair and you get tackled it should not be a penalty.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually there are some situations where that hair is restricted. IN the Foods industry many times they make you put it up in a net or have it cut short, because noone wants someone ELSEs hair in their food. So to say it isn't important at all is not true. There are occasions where it is true. In my opinion if you have long hair and you get tackled it should not be a penalty.
The food industry is a LITTLE different then the NFL. Handleing food, or tackling someone on a muddy field are not good comparisons.

To me, if a guy wants to have long hair, and someone grabs them by it, they can't complain.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
The food industry is a LITTLE different then the NFL. Handleing food, or tackling someone on a muddy field are not good comparisons.

To me, if a guy wants to have long hair, and someone grabs them by it, they can't complain.

good point that field at Pittsburgh is far more dangerous than the rug Polamalu wears that's for sure.

OP
OP
M

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the NFLPA will get involved with this one...
(from Yahoo Sports)

Mawae says players will fight hair length issue

NFL players fearing they'll have to go to the barber or find hairnets won't have to worry if Titans center Kevin Mawae's voice is heard according to The Tennessean.

The new president of the NFL Players Association said Thursday he's against a proposal that would prohibit flowing hair that obscures the player's name on the back of his jersey. NFL owners will consider the proposal at their meetings in Florida next week.

"I don't think there is any rule in the NFL rulebook saying your hair can't be a certain length. For management council or ownership to say we need all our players to cut their hair or bind it up or whatever, I think they need to understand it goes way beyond just haircuts," Mawae said. It goes into a cultural issue with the African American population in our league and also with the Polynesian population. The hair is a part of their culture. It's part of the history and the background. To ask a player to cut it off just because a select few don't like it, I think there is an issue with that."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez.........NFL players in hair nets...........whats next? "Fishnet" stockings???
(It might work for the Miami Dolphins, but it would look goofy on any other team!) :lol:

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually read somewhere earlier in the year that Atari Bigby's hair has something to do with his religion (I could be wrong, it might be just be his culture.) Coming out of highschool he had the oppurtunity to go to The University of Miami, but they would of made him cut his hair. Instead he went to Central Florida. I think he said that having long dreads gave him power or something of that sort.

Django

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since my discharge from the Marine Corps in 1989 I have gone through many cycles of long and short hair. I am currently 40 and have shoulder length hair. I have a strict policy when I am considering potential employers. If you value hair length over experience, talent, background and reference then you are a company that I will not waste my time with.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since my discharge from the Marine Corps in 1989 I have gone through many cycles of long and short hair. I am currently 40 and have shoulder length hair. I have a strict policy when I am considering potential employers. If you value hair length over experience, talent, background and reference then you are a company that I will not waste my time with.
True........what if a woman comes in and wants a job.....are they not gonna hire her because she has SHORT hair?
Like i have said..........to me, if it's kept clean and you have good hygene, whas the problem?
At my wife's work, there is a guy that i bet hasn't taken a bath in several years. People GAG if they are within 10 feet of him. Now THAT should be something the company addresses. But you know what? They do NOTHING about it. You could rub a dead skunk over the guy to make him smell better. It's THAT bad. Now, if the guy was clean, i doubt ANYONE would care how long his hair was.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I don't think there is any rule in the NFL rulebook saying your hair can't be a certain length. For management council or ownership to say we need all our players to cut their hair or bind it up or whatever, I think they need to understand it goes way beyond just haircuts," Mawae said. It goes into a cultural issue with the African American population in our league and also with the Polynesian population. The hair is a part of their culture. It's part of the history and the background. To ask a player to cut it off just because a select few don't like it, I think there is an issue with that."

Let's not forget Native American and Pagan Viking.

Geez, this guy needs to take a sensitivity course!

Members online

Latest posts