NFL Network

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just found out that the game thursday is on nfl network and I can't get it because time warner and nfl network are fighting over money. That really sucks, I wanted to stay home and watch it now Ill have to go out.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It boggles my mine why the NFL is doing this. You can blame the cable companies all you want, but its the NFL that chose to put these games on a channel that no one gets. There would be a lot more money in advertising if NBC, CBS, and FOX aired these games. More viewers = more money. I thought that was the whole point. I guess not.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It boggles my mine why the NFL is doing this. You can blame the cable companies all you want, but its the NFL that chose to put these games on a channel that no one gets. There would be a lot more money in advertising if NBC, CBS, and FOX aired these games. More viewers = more money. I thought that was the whole point. I guess not.
The NFL wants to become a monopoly. I think they are trying out the "NFL network" to see if in the near future they can put MOST games on their own channels. That way, they make ALL the money, and don't have to share with ABC, FOX, CBS, or whoever.
Thats just my opinion of course, but it's what i believe. They have the power/money to start several "new" NFL channels across the country, and if you don't "subscribe" and pay whatever they want, you won't get to see your team.
It's all about the money, and if they can shake us down, they will.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Cheesey is right.
The NFL will eventually have every game a pay per view production wherein they get all the revenue.
If and when this happens I will be following the Green Bay Packers on the radio.

Buoycott the NFL Network and their advertisers.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think they are trying out the "NFL network" to see if in the near future they can put MOST games on their own channels."

I think you are right.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah luckily I have that channel but the thing is that no one expected this game to be as big as it is. At best the thought Dallas might be 7-4 , 8-3 and the Pack might be 4-6. But it did not work out that way.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah luckily I have that channel but the thing is that no one expected this game to be as big as it is. At best the thought Dallas might be 7-4 , 8-3 and the Pack might be 4-6. But it did not work out that way.

I don't think anyone thought the Pack would loose that many games up to this point. If you reverse the numbers for Packers you would be closer.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
The NFL will eventually have every game a pay per view production wherein they get all the revenue.
If and when this happens I will be following the Green Bay Packers on the radio.

Buoycott the NFL Network and their advertisers.

I don't think NFL games will be pay-per-view anytime soon. However, thinking from a business perspective, it makes sense for the NFL to have most games on their own network. Like someone mentioned earlier, they don't have to share any revenue, work around network agendas, etc. etc. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it does make sense . . .

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's big business, and the NFL KNOWS people will pay for it. I think this network is their little "test" to see if they can get away with it. You had better believe they are watching VERY carefully to see just how many people put up a stink because they can't get the NFL network. Then they have an idea just how far they can push us consumers to pay to see the game or games we want. Hopefully i will be dead before their evil plan can take affect.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Boycott the NFL Network and their advertisers.

Frankly, I dont care whether Charter gets the NFL Network or not. They are a farce. Simply said.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imagine what the bars in Wisconsin (or anywhere) would look like if all games were ppv! I live in a fairly neutral area in VA, and the bar I frequent to watch GB is often PACKED on sundays (often with steelers fans...ugh!)

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the NFL were to do something like Sunday Ticket and offer it to subscribers of any service, I would probably buy it. I live outside of the Packers home territory and would do nearly anything to see the games each week, especially when they are playing so well. In fact, I bought the digital sports tier from Comcast just to watch this game. It's only $7.95/month.

But I do have limits as to what I would pay. I wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars just to watch a bunch of other teams as well. I only want to see the Packers when they are not a part of the national broadcast.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the NFL thats trying to put the channel in a separate sports package that you have to pay for, it's those few cable companies. DirecTv has the NFL Network in it's basic package, so does Dish and so does a few small market cable carries around here. The cable companies know that if they put the channel in a sports package that they will make a lot more money than it would for offering it on the basic package.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you guys that dont get the nfl network have cable?

I have basic cable and the nfl network is on it and i pay no extra charge!

What is goin on?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What is goin on?

Same here except I have Dish Network.

1cesc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are wrong about some issues. The NFL is not trying to make you subscribe to their channel to see your home team. The NFL wants their network on basic cable, but some cable companies don't want to put it on (they have it on a higher tier). Also, even though these games are on NFL Network, they HAVE to be shown on basic cable in their home markets. It's an NFL rule; if you live in the greater Dallas or GB area, you WILL get this game. Finally, they are not trying to build a "monopoly" of games. It's a well known fact that the major networks lose a CRAP-LOAD of money buying the rights to NFL games, but they do it anyways because it guarantees them a large real time audience that acts as a lead-in to the rest of their shows. If the big networks didn't shell out ridiculous amounts of cash, it would be network suicide.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

What is goin on?

im not sure how many do this but some cable providers (obviously) have come to an agreement with the NFL

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You guys are wrong about some issues. The NFL is not trying to make you subscribe to their channel to see your home team. The NFL wants their network on basic cable, but some cable companies don't want to put it on (they have it on a higher tier). Also, even though these games are on NFL Network, they HAVE to be shown on basic cable in their home markets. It's an NFL rule; if you live in the greater Dallas or GB area, you WILL get this game. Finally, they are not trying to build a "monopoly" of games. It's a well known fact that the major networks lose a CRAP-LOAD of money buying the rights to NFL games, but they do it anyways because it guarantees them a large real time audience that acts as a lead-in to the rest of their shows. If the big networks didn't shell out ridiculous amounts of cash, it would be network suicide.

If NFL Network is added to basic cable packages it will increase the overall package. Cable providers don't think that its fair to make others pay for a channel they don't want. They are neglecting the stupid channels like shopping network and what not in that perception.

The NFL wants their product to be viewed by as many people as possible. Hence why they sided with DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket because DTV does nearly twice as much advertising as DISH Network does.

1cesc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1cesc said:

If NFL Network is added to basic cable packages it will increase the overall package. Cable providers don't think that its fair to make others pay for a channel they don't want. They are neglecting the stupid channels like shopping network and what not in that perception.

The NFL wants their product to be viewed by as many people as possible. Hence why they sided with DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket because DTV does nearly twice as much advertising as DISH Network does.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm not saying that the NFL isn't being unreasonable; I'm only saying that they aren't doing this to try to clean the pockets of the fans like some people above were suggesting. Whether the NFL is right or the cable providers are right is moot, because in the end, the fans lose.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the NFL just wants to spread their product out so they can make more money off it. In theory, fans would also benefit because they could watch more games. College football is on TV almost every night of the week now, and the NFL would like a piece of that action rather than being confined to Sunday afternoons, Sunday nights, and Monday nights.

I would rather have them contract with ESPN to show extra games, but by having their own network that is available in most homes, the NFL would have a lot more freedom in their scheduling and broadcasting.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
1cesc said:

Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm not saying that the NFL isn't being unreasonable; I'm only saying that they aren't doing this to try to clean the pockets of the fans like some people above were suggesting. Whether the NFL is right or the cable providers are right is moot, because in the end, the fans lose.
And in the end, i think the cable companies will lose.
Like Zero said, we pay for channels alot of us don't use. (I don't give a rodents ****** about shopping channels, yet there they are on my cable) but when it comes to the NFL channel, Time Warner won't just suck it up and GIVE it to us.
Yes, the NFL wants it's product viewed, but in a situation where THEY make the most money. They don't want ANYONE to share in the money pie, if they can help it. To think thats not the case is not thinking it through. At least thats how I feel.
Maybe I'm wrong. It would go a LONG way to make me think i was wrong, if the NFL network would come down on what they want for their channel, so that Time Warner would carry it. But i don't see that happening.

Members online

Latest posts