"NFC Nort' Matchups" Thread

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay guys - here's the deal.....

I listen to Steve Czaban every morning on the way into work.
You can visit his web site, too! http://www.czabe.com/ (read the daily)

Having said that - I learned before hand that Fred Smoot was leaving the Redskins from Czabe, 'cause the 'skins are his Team like the Pack is "our Team". In that rant, he mentioned that Smoot would probably go to the Vikings. Which I now see has happened rather quickly on the FA Tracker web page posted by SV...

Knowing this and the rumor... that Darren Sharper may also become a (gosh, can I say it...?) ...a VIKING..... it looks like the Vikings are actuallly gonnna make a play for the SuperBowl this next Season. Their Defense is now MUCH improved whether any of you see it yet or not.

Between everyone here that posts all the time... I think it'd help as the Draft, mini-camps, and Training Camp, then Pre-season get under way to follow how each Team (Packers, Lions, Bears & Vikings) all measure up against each other - on Defense as well as Offense.

I hope Jim Bates can pull together this rag tag Defense we have or else the Packers are gonna be glad to be playing someone outside our Division this year.

Have you guys been watching the Bears & the Lions quietly revving up as well?

What does Detroit need now - maybe a good streak from their current QB?
Or, do they just need to find that one better QB to take his place?

With da Bears - remember, their Franchise QB is coming off that injury this year - so we will have our hands full with one of the top Draft picks from last year.... I sometimes wonder how the Press would have behaved about Ben R had the Bears QB not gotten hurt.

In the NFL - at times - the Press can help or hurt a Team simply by what they print - even if it's just opinion-ated crap... You all know that...

So - jump in here guys -- let's do this...
I notice on Slickvision's link about the FA status that on the side it talks about Flutie being cut and "Is his Career over?" - Also, the Jets signed Fiedler.... On the Jets note - didn't they sign Ricky Ray from the CFL a year or two ago? Anyone know anything about where he is? Ricky Ray, I mean..... Ricky's the guy I wanted the Packers to grab last year instead of the Couch-trip. I'd still like to see what that guy could bring to Lambeau Field. In the CFL, they play 16 of 18 games outdoors. And, with Ricky - his Team, up there, won two Grey Cups in-a-row.

If Nall isn't gonna make it, and JT doesn't seem to have the moxie - I say we should try and bring this guy in... We could probably get him for very little cash out of pocket.

Are you guys seeing that Kenoy Kennedy signed with the Lions?
That kills that thread.....
And, who's supposed to take Navies place now?

We's got work to do!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check this little item...

Jacksonville Jaguars Updated:03/10/2005

Safety Donovin Darius has been given permission by his team to seek a trade on Thursday, according to the Jacksonville Times-Union. The Miami Herald and the Minneapolis Star Tribune report that Darius is interested in being traded to either the Dolphins or Vikings. He's considered one of the league's hardest hitters. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that the Dolphins would trade Patrick Surtain to the Jags in exchange for Darius if the Jags rework his contract to fit under the Dolphins' salary cap.

Now is anyone waking up here....?
Notice he doesn't mention wanting to be a Green Bay Packer!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Ricky Ray - (Jets Practice Squad)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Signed to the Jets practice squad on Septebmer 6, 2004 after being released on September 5, 2004.

Ricky Ray led the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League to a Grey Cup Championship while throwing for 4,640 yards and 35 TD in 2003. Ray broke into the NFL with San Francisco during the 2001 season before playing two years with Edmonton from 2002-2003. He signed with the Jets on 2/27/04 and completed 13-of-24 passes for 108 yards in 2004 preseason action.

===============================

These QB stats look familiar to anyone?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edmonton actually played in 2 straight Grey Cups. They lost the first of the two to Montreal, then beat them the next year. That said, I do like Ray as well, though none of us have seen what he can/cannot do against the world's best players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Check this little item...

Jacksonville Jaguars Updated:03/10/2005

Safety Donovin Darius has been given permission by his team to seek a trade on Thursday, according to the Jacksonville Times-Union. The Miami Herald and the Minneapolis Star Tribune report that Darius is interested in being traded to either the Dolphins or Vikings. He's considered one of the league's hardest hitters. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that the Dolphins would trade Patrick Surtain to the Jags in exchange for Darius if the Jags rework his contract to fit under the Dolphins' salary cap.

Now is anyone waking up here....?
Notice he doesn't mention wanting to be a Green Bay Packer!

I think he'd be a good addition, but I guess it would be a tad uncomfortable for he and some members of the team.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much the Jets would want to take Ricky Ray off their hands?
They're already lookin' for other backups in that position - Apparently, he doesn't fit in well to their schemes? I would say that if he played that well for complete seasons in the CFL - then as some others have done - then RR could be a diamond in the rough.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
prez...

Stop worrying about the bears! no need for panic there at all..

as far as the lions defensive pick-ups...everybody started worrying about them last year around this time too...nothing materialized. they still have joey at the helm who is basically setting everybody up for a let down. It's Tradition!!

The vikings are making some scary moves and everybody knew they would...they're 3 billion dollars under the cap for god's sake! regardless of what they're accomplishing this offseason it's still no reason to **** your pants yet. high profile players don't make high profile teams...Dan Snyder has been trying that for years without results.

last but not least, the pack hasn't really made any significant moves, which to me means that the best news is yet to come...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Take your Ritalin!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kool people - AG's still trying to work with water colors....

AG - I'm right up front in line with what's goin' on at Lambeau.
Of the two QB backups we have now - NONE of them have seen significant playing time like Ricky Ray.

On Defense, people - We are about to see a video unfold with how Jim Bates advises Mike Sherman to proceed and which players he feels need to be set in which position. I was hopin' they'd keep Hannibal Navies - but that's business, I guess. I really think they're about to move Barnett over and find someone just a bit bigger & faster to take his place there in the middle. After that, it's anyone's guess what Jimbo's got in mind and who to do it with.

On Offense - this time around(?) - I think Ted Thompson already has a few tricks up his sleeve in replacing Rivera.... We were pretty solid there last year and some depth still remains with those that are left behind. As Brett stated earlier - those men deserved their paydays... and good luck to them. Personally, I think Brett's already moved on... and remember - when we went to the SuperBowl - those two (Rivera & Wahle) weren't around for that ride. Neither were most of the Team we have now. So, there's no surprises with Brett's attitude as far as I'm concerned.

As we progress into the new season I'll be making up a chart of sorts to match up on each side of the ball - who plays against whom on the other three teams... I wanted to do that last year... So, now, it'll happen for sure this time around...

So - let's be real guys... I wasn't worried about whether Brett would come back or not - and I'm not needing any toiletries now, either! If it was THAT bad - I'd not be the guy leading this IndyPackerBackers Club, either!

I'm gonna enjoy this Season - especially with our plans to be at Lambeau for the Steeler's game. Hopefully I can land some good seats right behind the bench again. Susan & I are gonna have the time of our life up nort' ---- I cant wait for football season to begin!

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think the packers are planning for the future. If you think this year is bad wait until next year when we have several Key players who need contracts (ie J Walker). The packers have been in the playoff almost every year ( except for the Ray Rhodes year). So I believe it is time to reload and rebuild even if Brett won't be around for long. Every team during the Salary Cap era has had to do this ( look at dallas). It maybe the packers turn.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing's for sure -- the Pack needs to plant in the Players minds that they are expendable... Belicheck has made it abundantly clear to the Patriots Players they could be gone in one year.... period! The Packers need to do exactly that from now on! It's the only way to get & then stay "under the Salary Cap"... i.e - Minnesota Vikings (25mil under).

If you look at the College ranks right now, there are quite a few WR's getting ready to come out next year & the year after.... Keeping the Team 'younger' than it has been...will keep the schemes lightning quick.. and hungry! I'd like to be a fly on the wall in Thompson's Office right about now! :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts