NFC Championship - Los Angeles Rams vs. New Orleans Saints

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't agree with it. It may or may not be true, but there are a lot of factors at play. There were fewer teams then, but fewer opportunities. There are more layers of playoffs now, but easier to get in. If you built a strong team then, it could stay together for years. I can't say it was easy to win five championships in seven years, because no one else ever did it.

Generally speaking, I don't like to compare eras.

Of course a lot of that is that he gets rid of the ball so quickly.
You can’t compare era’s because every single one of of Lombardi’s championship teams would get destroyed by every single 2018 NFL team. I know old timers and Packer fans don’t like to hear it but it is simply the truth. The players are simply bigger, faster and stronger than they have ever been and those old teams would simply be beat down physically. Long time Packer fans that have actually seen those teams can deny it all they want by they are flat out wrong.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can’t compare era’s because every single one of of Lombardi’s championship teams would get destroyed by every single 2018 NFL team.
I agree you can't complare eras. But even if what you said were true, it's irrelevant. No 2018 team could have existed in 1962. Each person in their own time has what they have to work with, and has to play with the cards they are dealt. That doesn't diminish what Lombardi accomplished.

It's like saying George Patton was not a great general because the stealth technology and guided weapons we have today would demolish his army.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree you can't complare eras. But even if what you said were true, it's irrelevant. No 2018 team could have existed in 1962. Each person in their own time has what they have to work with, and has to play with the cards they are dealt. That doesn't diminish what Lombardi accomplished.

It's like saying George Patton was not a great general because the stealth technology and guided weapons we have today would demolish his army.
Oh absolutely, sorry I should have mentioned that it doesn’t diminish lombardi’s Accomplishments in any way. We are agreed.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm rooting for New England. I'm pro NFL teams that run the football.

Sorry. Can't stand the Patriots. I am so sick of them in the SB that I'm not going to watch. I was really hoping for the two young QB's fighting it out. I will give McDaniels one positive. He called a good game.

I hope the Rams can pull out a miracle, but Goff was so nervous in the Championship game, that I can't see him holding it together in the SB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling CaptWIMM :)

Bill's probably paid off the refs to win the toss.

I've rarely felt a deep rooted haterd for another thing as much as the OT format. Like you can give toss and declare them the winner. No need to play at all. Whoever wins the toss wins the match at least 90% of the time. What a lame rule in a good sport.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stinks to be a saints fan. I would be hyperventilating to have invested that much emotion into this season only to have your chance to go to the superbowl (brees' last chance as well) taken away with one call. WOW

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. Can't stand the Patriots. I am so sick of them in the SB that I'm not going to watch. I was really hoping for the two young QB's fighting it out. I will give McDaniels one positive. He called a good game.

I hope the Rams can pull out a miracle, but Goff was so nervous in the Championship game, that I can't see him holding it together in the SB.
Goff made two great passes under pressure to keep the last? drive going.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crazy how bad that was.
Totally agree but it was not a good pass and if the defender was playing the ball like he should have been doing it would have been a pic. Just like the KC safety should have had his head turned around on a long pass to Gronk. It would have been an easy knock down and probably a pic. All in all, refs are pretty bad these days. It is tough to be a ref for sure; but they make so many bad calls.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was kind of fun watching a team refuse to go away. I wonder if they do it one more time or if Brady era started and will end with Rams? Should be a good game, again

Everyone gave them up for dead but like you said they just wouldn't go away. Even though I don't like them I do kind of admire that and other than them winning all the time I don't hate them like I do the vikings or the cowboys.

Hate them all you want. Make every excuse for them you can think of for them winning. Try to explain why they wouldn't have beaten this team or that team. There is no denying you wish your team was doing exactly the same thing and you wish other fans hated them as much as you do the Patriots.

I am sorry to all the faithful and I am a huge Green Bay Packer fan and I mean no disrespect to Vince Lombardi and the Glory Years Packers but since Bill Belichick has taken over he has become the best coach in football and this has been the best team.

Belichick/Patriots stats since 2000

19 seasons
1 losing season (his first)
16 division crowns (10 straight. Finished lower than second only in his first year)
ecepty his first season never finished lower than second in the division
16 playoff appearances (10 straight) in 2000 the last year they didn't make the playoffs they were 115
17 seasons with double digit wins (16 straight and 12 of those with 12 or more)
1 perfect season
9 Super Bowl appearances
5 Super Bowl victories

Don't get me wrong, Lombardi's record stacks up very nicely with Belichicks even though it is half as long. I have a sneaking suspicion that had Lombardi stayed on and coached the Packers for 10 more years his record wouldn't look nearly as solid. I just think it was easier to build a dominant team in those days. Yes there were fewer teams so talent was more concentrated meaning teams teams overall may have been better but that means it was easier to get talent on your team and once you had them there was no FA so you pretty much had them until you wanted to let them go. With the advancements in the game today I think the worst teams today could compete easily with the best teams of that era. They may not beat them all the time but they would have competed well.

I know I'll get all kinds of crap for this post but hey, I'm not one of those fans that thinks you can't be a fan and still admit someone else is better.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots did it again, and it was supposed to be a down year for them.
I know records are made to be broken, I'm not sure if we'll ever see anybody match this.
Their longevity is ridiculous. I remember talking to a Patriots fan 10 years ago about how amazing it was that they were doing what they were doing, and they've just added to it since then. 10 years ago!

You're probably on to something, although I'm not sure he wouldn't rate Favre above Rodgers. Not sure he would, not sure he wouldn't. He might have cut it off at 8 so he wouldn't have to list Favre.

The worst part of all this would be listening to Skip Bayless crowing about the GOAT tomorrow.

You could be right about Favre but I didn't know how he feels about him. I think he likes Favre and would have no problem ranking him 9 out of 10 but since he thinks Rodgers is better he cut it off at 8

As far as listening to him crow about the GOAT that's why I won't be. Even though I agree with him on the GOAT thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can’t compare era’s because every single one of of Lombardi’s championship teams would get destroyed by every single 2018 NFL team. I know old timers and Packer fans don’t like to hear it but it is simply the truth. The players are simply bigger, faster and stronger than they have ever been and those old teams would simply be beat down physically. Long time Packer fans that have actually seen those teams can deny it all they want by they are flat out wrong.

Gave you a like rather than an agree because even though I think you are right I kinda disagree with the destroyed by every 2018 team. I think there may have been a few competitive games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone gave them up for dead but like you said they just wouldn't go away. Even though I don't like them I do kind of admire that and other than them winning all the time I don't hate them like I do the vikings or the cowboys.

Hate them all you want. Make every excuse for them you can think of for them winning. Try to explain why they wouldn't have beaten this team or that team. There is no denying you wish your team was doing exactly the same thing and you wish other fans hated them as much as you do the Patriots.

I am sorry to all the faithful and I am a huge Green Bay Packer fan and I mean no disrespect to Vince Lombardi and the Glory Years Packers but since Bill Belichick has taken over he has become the best coach in football and this has been the best team.

Belichick/Patriots stats since 2000

19 seasons
1 losing season (his first)
16 division crowns (10 straight. Finished lower than second only in his first year)
ecepty his first season never finished lower than second in the division
16 playoff appearances (10 straight) in 2000 the last year they didn't make the playoffs they were 115
17 seasons with double digit wins (16 straight and 12 of those with 12 or more)
1 perfect season
9 Super Bowl appearances
5 Super Bowl victories

Don't get me wrong, Lombardi's record stacks up very nicely with Belichicks even though it is half as long. I have a sneaking suspicion that had Lombardi stayed on and coached the Packers for 10 more years his record wouldn't look nearly as solid. I just think it was easier to build a dominant team in those days. Yes there were fewer teams so talent was more concentrated meaning teams teams overall may have been better but that means it was easier to get talent on your team and once you had them there was no FA so you pretty much had them until you wanted to let them go. With the advancements in the game today I think the worst teams today could compete easily with the best teams of that era. They may not beat them all the time but they would have competed well.

I know I'll get all kinds of crap for this post but hey, I'm not one of those fans that thinks you can't be a fan and still admit someone else is better.
There is the fact (I hope) that in 1958 The Pack won 1 game and then Lombardi came.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree but it was not a good pass and if the defender was playing the ball like he should have been doing it would have been a pic. Just like the KC safety should have had his head turned around on a long pass to Gronk. It would have been an easy knock down and probably a pic. All in all, refs are pretty bad these days. It is tough to be a ref for sure; but they make so many bad calls.

that is the funny thing about that play. IF the defender did his job and turning his head and looking for the ball it could have been an interception or just an incomplete and the outcome could have been the same and there would have been no controversy that the rams would be your definitive nfc champs. however, given the circumstances.....:roflmao:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is the funny thing about that play. IF the defender did his job and turning his head and looking for the ball it could have been an interception or just an incomplete and the outcome could have been the same and there would have been no controversy that the rams would be your definitive nfc champs. however, given the circumstances.....:roflmao:
People should watch that play again, the Rams were in disarray, they couldn’t figure out who was covering who and roby was coming my across the field as the ball was snapped. At that point Roby realized the only thing he could do was run full speed and blow up the man. If he had taken a moment to look at Brees as most defenders do, he would have lost speed, got smoked, Saint TD or 1st down.

The narrative that it was an easy pick is simply false as the only reason he was there at all is because of the confusion and roby running for dear life to blow up the man early which should have been the easiest pass interference call to make.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part of all this would be listening to Skip Bayless crowing about the GOAT tomorrow.

Why even listen to that trash?

Anyway, Brady might as well play til he's 50. Nobody in the AFC can beat him. He should set an unbreakable record by winning a 10th Super Bowl.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People should watch that play again, the Rams were in disarray, they couldn’t figure out who was covering who and roby was coming my across the field as the ball was snapped. At that point Roby realized the only thing he could do was run full speed and blow up the man. If he had taken a moment to look at Brees as most defenders do, he would have lost speed, got smoked, Saint TD or 1st down.

The narrative that it was an easy pick is simply false as the only reason he was there at all is because of the confusion and roby running for dear life to blow up the man early which should have been the easiest pass interference call to make.

I was just agreeing with gopkrs with a highly unlikely scenario "what if" the defender would have done. i'm with you 100% that the call should have been made. it was an obvious foul/PI and a sure one that refs(even a rookie) should have had no problem calling. it's about as obvious as tyson biting off the ear of holyfield.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill's probably paid off the refs to win the toss.

I've rarely felt a deep rooted hatred for another thing as much as the OT format. Like you can give toss and declare them the winner. No need to play at all. Whoever wins the toss wins the match at least 90% of the time. What a lame rule in a good sport.

Well, that didn't exactly hold true for the Saints who won the toss.

Now, I've never really been a fan of the sudden death format or ties. I also think there could be a better way to decide who gets the ball than the coin toss.

But I think one of the better ways to send a message that you don't like OT if you're a team wanting to not be on the wrong side of a coin toss is pull off certain tactics such as going for 2 more often during regulation, or instead of settling for a game-tie fg pull a fg fake and go for the TD. Bottom line, start going more unconventional and pulling more risks.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why even listen to that trash?

Anyway, Brady might as well play til he's 50. Nobody in the AFC can beat him. He should set an unbreakable record by winning a 10th Super Bowl.
No sheeeeettt the dude didn’t even get knocked over yesterday he is well protected and he ain’t going anywhere as long as they keep winning however they play the worst teams in all of football year in year out I’m still waiting for someone to point out who the toughest qbs he has played in his division the last 10-12 yrs...
The qbs In his division this yr Sam Darnold josh Allen and Brock Osweiler.... effffffinnnngggggg sweet!!!! Charity!!!!! The best qb he has faced In his division the last 10 yrs maybe chad Pennington!?!? Mark Sanchez and **** rexy beat him but who is the best qb he has faced!? EXACTLY effing slop!!! It’s disgusting the charity they effing get!!!!! Such a joke!!!!

Reaction score
Please ... other than Lombardi I doubt GB ever has had a coach better than Belichick ... This 2018 GB team would have been blown out by this Years Patriots team ... - Ppl always seem to underestimate Belichick and the Patriots ... 8 consecutive AFC C Games is not Luck, nor coincidence ... Those results speak for themselves ... Not to mention going to a 9th Super Bowl in 18 seasons ... with a very likely chance of a 6th ring ...
I agree with your statement, but who said anything about our 2018 squad? I didn’t. That’s the strangest way to respond by changing your arguement to fit your perogitive

Other than Lombardi? What’s that mean??
What coach had NE had other than BB that has been so great?

Last edited:

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No sheeeeettt the dude didn’t even get knocked over yesterday he is well protected and he ain’t going anywhere as long as they keep winning however they play the worst teams in all of football year in year out I’m still waiting for someone to point out who the toughest qbs he has played in his division the last 10-12 yrs...
The qbs In his division this yr Sam Darnold josh Allen and Brock Osweiler.... effffffinnnngggggg sweet!!!! Charity!!!!! The best qb he has faced In his division the last 10 yrs maybe chad Pennington!?!? Mark Sanchez and **** rexy beat him but who is the best qb he has faced!? EXACTLY effing slop!!! It’s disgusting the charity they effing get!!!!! Such a joke!!!!

When you are handcuffed like those teams are, it will affect your draft. I'd imagine you 2nd guess a lot of your picks. Do you draft defense? Or do you take a chance on a QB and hope to develop him and draft more offense to help him out and hope neither is a bust and have a shaky defense. I feel you have to draft defense to try and slow the Patriots down. The NFC North has done that. Who is the best QB that Rodgers has faced in his own division? It was probably an old Brett Favre. The Bears defense has been drafted over the years, Vikings defense is full of first round picks. Lions have drafted lot of defense. All to slow Rodgers down because he dominated the division. AFC East has done the same thing.

Members online

Latest posts