New season to begin with such talents

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of you are stoked that we have such a roster that could take us to the SB? Im sure this topic has been beaten to no end but i'm so pumped for this year I have to get us pumped up. Most teams last year have been derailed by inconsistencies of execution because of their players under performing. We have been marred with injuries not inconsistencies. I really believe this year A-Rod will take us far hence less injuries or hiccups that would scar another season. I do not believe we will go without any injuries but with our in depth wides and beefed up D, and of course A-Rod, we are going to have an exciting year.

And I promise I won't swear in the shout box this year. Ok...maybe!

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year was about as confident as I'd ever been as a packer fan going into a season. One preseason game derailed that. As of right now, I'm just going to keep following the action, stay hopeful, and enjoy the games, but probably not think about superbowl til much later down the road.

OP
OP
mongoosev

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year was about as confident as I'd ever been as a packer fan going into a season. One preseason game derailed that. As of right now, I'm just going to keep following the action, stay hopeful, and enjoy the games, but probably not think about superbowl til much later down the road.

what happened in that one preseason game did have an affect on us more than we want to believe.

D

Deleted member 6794

Most teams last year have been derailed by inconsistencies of execution because of their players under performing. We have been marred with injuries not inconsistencies.

While the Packers suffered some injuries overall the team was pretty healthy last season. Green Bay finished with the ninth fewest adjusted games lost according to Football Outsiders. I'm not in favor of using injuries as a reason for the team underperforming in 2015.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy's injury uncovered the weaknesses in the passing game. Add to that Rogers' down year (very likely also due to injury) and it shows the fragility of a supposed top team in the league, especially given it was one of the least injured teams we've had in years. A good running game or run-stopping defense would be helpful, but we're not geared for that. You need dominant offensive and defensive lines for that style of football.

OP
OP
mongoosev

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers suffered some injuries overall the team was pretty healthy last season. Green Bay finished with the ninth fewest adjusted games lost according to Football Outsiders. I'm not in favor of using injuries as a reason for the team underperforming in 2015.

with humans, psyche and emotion plays a rather big part with performance. Injuries are no exceptions to the rule that make an impact. despite not having MANY injuries, we did have couple on O that caused an adjustment to our performance. ironically they were players that is a big part of Aaron's strengths. notwithstanding, with injuries you do what you have to. unfortunately it goes back to psyche and emotions and whether a team or player can overcome them.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One issues not mentioned was the health of the O-line. These guys are a proud group and don't talk about and still play with injuries, but they were really beat up all across the front and it showed, especially later in the season. They couldn't get off the snap and Rodgers was paying for it! A healthy line and some new fresh backups could go a long way next season!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, overall the team was healthy, but when a bunch of injuries come at one spot, it can hurt a lot.

Injuries at WR were a huge factor in losing in the playoffs. It's very hard to beat a good team on the road with very little receiving options. It was like NE playing without Gronk, Edelman, and Ademdola. Or Carolina losing Olsen and Ginn in addition to Benjamin. I'd favor Arizona over both those teams.

OP
OP
mongoosev

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GO PACK GO...! Please chime in if you believe we have a fighting chance this year. Give our boys confidence they deserve instead of the pathetic boos they received in some of our games last season(pathetic).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How would you suggest that Joe Sixpack express his displeasure at the lack of production, often lack of effort, that the millionaires he supports exhibit? Those guys aren't supposed to be competing for participation trophies.

Sky King

Reaction score
The ideal same-minded Packer fans wearing their green and gold glasses:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Their girlfriends are more interesting though:

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy's injury uncovered the weaknesses in the passing game. Add to that Rogers' down year (very likely also due to injury) and it shows the fragility of a supposed top team in the league, especially given it was one of the least injured teams we've had in years.

The Packers should have been able to find a way to overcome Nelson's injury. But a lack of talent and the coaching staff's reluctance to use more combination routes to beat man coverage resulted in the passing game struggling.

Injuries are no exceptions to the rule that make an impact. despite not having MANY injuries, we did have couple on O that caused an adjustment to our performance.

Once again, I'm not denying the Packers had some injuries to important players last season. I'm refusing to use them as an excuse though as most other teams suffered a higher number of man games lost.

One issues not mentioned was the health of the O-line. These guys are a proud group and don't talk about and still play with injuries, but they were really beat up all across the front and it showed, especially later in the season. They couldn't get off the snap and Rodgers was paying for it! A healthy line and some new fresh backups could go a long way next season!

The starting offensive linemen mostly did a nice job protecting Rodgers. The team's lack of depth when injuries hit was the main reason Rodgers was sacked too often.

Injuries at WR were a huge factor in losing in the playoffs. It's very hard to beat a good team on the road with very little receiving options. It was like NE playing without Gronk, Edelman, and Ademdola. Or Carolina losing Olsen and Ginn in addition to Benjamin. I'd favor Arizona over both those teams.

There's no doubt the Packers rely on the passing game to be successful. I put a lot of blame on the coaching staff for not adjusting the team's route concept once injuries hit at the position though and not use guys missing games or playing hurt as a lame excuse.

BTW I don't think the receivers playing at Arizona did a great job and were a non factor in losing that game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think the sheer non-existent running attack played a larger factor than Nelson going down (not down playing that one bit though).

Sky King

Reaction score
It's rarely ever one thing. To varying degrees there were several different reasons that the team struggled. And to varying degrees of success themselves, posters have effectively identified those points.

But here's the thought that keeps coming back to me: Despite their litany of often untimely woes last season the Packers were still relevant and in the hunt nearly to the very end. If they can have a bad year and still do better than the vast majority of teams in the league then I look forward to what they can do if it all comes together. There's really no reason at this point to think that can't happen this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

But here's the thought that keeps coming back to me: Despite their litany of often untimely woes last season the Packers were still relevant and in the hunt nearly to the very end. If they can have a bad year and still do better than the vast majority of teams in the league then I look forward to what they can do if it all comes together. There's really no reason at this point to think that can't happen this season.

In my opinion a lot of posters around here put way too much value in the Packers being able to take the Cardinals into overtime in the playoffs and completely ignore being dominated by the Broncos, Panthers and the same Arizona team in the regular season.

I completely agree the team has the talent to win the Super Bowl though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think they've had the talent to do it several times. The only time they did win it, I wasn't so sure. Certainly hope they don't extend their losing-on-the-last-play record in the playoffs this time.

Sky King

Reaction score
In my opinion a lot of posters around here put way too much value in the Packers being able to take the Cardinals into overtime in the playoffs and completely ignore being dominated by the Broncos, Panthers and the same Arizona team in the regular season.

I completely agree the team has the talent to win the Super Bowl though.
My Packers cup is 95% full with a minimum of hot air. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The beauty of what Ted The Toe has done as GM, is put us in position to be legitimate SB contenders each season. Could have more horses in the stable? Of course, but not many teams are in this position every season. What the players and coaches do each season has the biggest impact. We've overcome bad injuries such as 2010 and we've had relatively injury-free seasons that didn't amount to much (2011).

I'm excited as I am every year. I'll enjoy the journey of watching the season unfold.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline was hurt, and let Broncos hurt Rodgers. And the timing of our WR injuries!?!?!? unreal! From our best Wr going down in the preseason. To Our #2 going down to start the divisional game, leaving us with #5 and #6 on depth chart.................. Thats what ended our season IMO............... Losing Quarless was as big as losing Adams 3 times, and Montgomery basicly for the year.... Overall not many injuries and impacts on a 53 man/17 week scale...... But like I said, the timing of those OL(QB?) ,WR, injuries derailed the whole team, and cost us the divisional game.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you will about injuries having to do with the season and the final record. I'm sort of on the fence but do feel the Jordy injury hurt more than some admit. Either way, the playoff loss had a lot to do with injuries. When 3 of your top WRs are unable to play you're in trouble. The fact they had a chance to win that bad boy was impressive in itself.

Looking at the roster I am very confident this team has a legitimate shot of winning it all. Predictions are so hard to make as there are so many variables and unknowns involved. With that being said you have to be at least a touch excited about this teams chances in 2016. The offense should return to form and end up near the top in scoring per game. Lacy looks like he's gotten the message and his time is limited should he continue his current path. I think we see a motivated, in shape 27 which will do wonders for the team on a number of fronts. AR will have a major bounce back season and be in the MVP discussion once again. He's simply too talented to not bounce back and his track record justifies my belief. The line should be solid and it appears we will also have better depth/flexibility when an injury comes along. WR will once again prove to be a position of strength with the return of 87, a motivated 18, a hungry 88, an embarrassed (one would think) 17, a confident 83 plus Abby and the young speedster from UCLA. TE WILL be improved as Rodgers is another year in and Cook is going to really help open things up with his vertical ability. I can't say enough good things about that signing. I think it was flat out sneaky great but we'll see.

Defensively I am expecting a Top 10-12 (total points) type effort with a Top 5 TO margin. The line has beefed up a little and I have high hopes for the first rounder. The OLB position offers Dom many options in regards to scheme and I believe they will be a very difficult group for opposing units to handle. Very excited about this group! ILB is better off than many believe in my mind. Ryan will be improved and Sambo is a nice player that brings a little nasty to the table. I loved the Martinez pick and think this kid is going to force his way onto the field and end up being one of TT's best picks...ever. The kid just loves the game and has the skill set to be a really good one for a long while. The secondary should be the best unit other than ILB. Randall and Rollins will be improved from last year and that's saying something. Both of these young men could be pro bowlers before too long. Sam is Sam and Micah is Micah. The safety position will be strong once again and I'm expecting a pro bowl type season from 21 this season. It's his time and I think this is the year the proverbial light goes off for him. I'm a little concerned about depth in the secondary but think we'll be fine and Gunter should be improved this season as well. Special teams took a nice step forward last season and I have faith Zook will keep this unit trending upwards. We have a fantastic kicker in 2 and I'm really hoping this youngster from WI pushes Tim to either kick better or be seeking employment just seasons start.

There's a lot to be excited about and I have a feeling this team will be the last one standing. Have a great day and as always...
G P G!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree with your take although I´m concerned about the inside linebacker position. Crosby being a fantastic kicker is plain and simple wrong though.

man...you love the back and forth.

CW, how many kickers in the league are better than Crosby?

Members online

No members online now.