New draft thread

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay... back to the draft- fhe "official" thread turned into argueing

Who else feels like trading down, Im not sure I like the idea but if we can stay close to the top maybe i will

I dont feel like we can get the same value with trading down this year heres why

1. Houston
2. New Orleans
3. Tennesee
4. New York
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit

Houston, New Orleans, Tennesee will most likely take the big three, Jets maybe that OT, if we trade down 6,7,8,9 all could use a D tackle, or stud LB... right?

I just hope we dont trade down, or if we do we make some deals

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
It's impossible to say if we should trade down or stay at #5 until we start hearing offers. It would be negligent though not to put the pick out there. If a team drafting behind us is in love with AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, or some other player, they might be willing to overpay for our pick.

Basically, moving down to the #9 spot in order to gain a 4th round pick isn't worth it. But moving down to #9 for a 3rd rounder this year and a 4th rounder next year probably is. We jsut have to listen to the offers.

If we stay put, my vote is for AJ Hawk.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the point of trading down one or two spots? You aren't going to get a first-(top ten like you say) and second-round, or a first- and third-round for that matter, for a 5th overall pick. This is a bad move, and I see no good coming out of this. :-?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
What is the point of trading down one or two spots? You aren't going to get a first-(top ten like you say) and second-round, or a first- and third-round for that matter, for a 5th overall pick. This is a bad move, and I see no good coming out of this. :-?

Trading down one or two spots > your life, btw

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JD4shizzle said:
JeezusJuice said:

:?: :wtf:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
JD4shizzle said:
JeezusJuice said:

:?: :wtf:

I beleive double j said 'sharper > your life btw'

This is probably just poking fun at that comment.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if they get a good offer, as mattresell (does he sell mattresses?) says, it might work out. But I would hate to see the Packers pass up a rare opportunity for a blue-chip stud draft pick. This team could use the kind of jolt that a really great player could bring, especially on defense.

That A.J. Hawk could be a really good one. I've been thinking about whether he would play in the middle or on the outside. I think he would be perfect at weak side linebacker because he could provide the stout run support that is needed behind KGB--which the increasingly injured Na'ill Diggs has not been able to provide.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams use what is called a "trade value chart" to evaluate possible trades on draft day. Each team's chart is usually different and each year's chart will change. Each team will base this on the strength of the draft that year, as evaluated by brain trust. The following are examples of trade value charts from two different years. From what teams I don't know.

PFW 2004 trade value chart

nfl.com 2005 trade value chart

As it says in the stories with the charts these are not hard and fast and wisdom has to be used. That shouldn't be used as a math formula in order to get exact totals for an equal trade. I do think however they will give us some idea of what the Packers could get by trading down 2-5 spots.

If you use the first chart and we traded down only 2 spots we could expect something like a 3rd, 4th, and 5th in addition to the 1st rounder for going down two spots.

Using the same chart and going down to the 9th or 10th spot we could get a 2nd and 4th in addition to the 1st rounder.

Using the second chart with the same scenarios, moving down two spots could get a 4th, 5th, and maybe a 6th in addition to the 1st rounder.

Using the second chart and moving down to the 9th spot would be worth about a 3rd, 4th, and 5th plus the 1st rounder.

Obviously this will all depend on how teams evaluate this year's draft and whether we could find someone to trade with but it gives us a general idea of what could be expected.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Greg C. said:
Well, if they get a good offer, as mattresell (does he sell mattresses?) says, it might work out.

That's good stuff, Greg. My name is actually Matt Resell, but now I can't believe it's taken me 24 years to notice that if you run it together it sounds like mattress sale. Thank you for making me self concious about saying my name to quickly for the next 50 years.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can trade down to 8-10 and end up with an extra 2nd, or at worst an extra 3rd and 4th...I like Haloti Ngata as you all know, he will be available till then, I think Kiwanuka will be on the board too--Mario Williams is said to be a very half-assed player, that never gives his all, amazing physical abilities, workout numbers, etc, but i think he's a risk if we take him at five

of course if AJ Hawk is on the board at #5, we take him

BUT even if we dont trade down from our first round spot, we have prime position in all rounds, with which we can trade down, a lot like Thompson did last year

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Matt Resell, I never suspected that was your real name. Am I now to believe that there are real people walking around out there with names like Arrow Gargantuan, Tro Madz, and Rabid Gopher?

The draft will be a little more fun to talk about this year, which is some consolation for the awful season. I still want that number 5 pick, unless someone gives us a deal like the Lions got a couple years ago when the Browns gave them an extra pick just so they could move up one spot and snag Kellen Winslow, Jr. The Lions still got Roy Williams, and I think they got Kevin Jones with that other pick.