My thoughts on tonights game

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was bad early but got better.

The Defense has a ways to go. Allen and Pickett were both one series and done. Woodson didn't play much and neither did Harris. Seemed like Carroll and Horton were on the field most of the time. Can't really judge the defense as a whole.

AJ Hawk looked solid. He's around the ball. Looks like he has a knack for big plays.

Abdul Hodge is all over the place as well. I think he has a great future in this league.

Tyrone Culver played decent as well.

Outside of that, I didn't see much to get excited about. Hopefully we're healthy for next week.

The offense took sometime to gel but on Favre's last series put together a nice drive which would of lead to a field goal and made the game 7-3 but McCarthy opted to go for it on 4th and 2. Greg Jennings dropped a sure 1st down and an easy pass. Outside of that Jennings was a monster all night. He played very well and will be our potential #2 option this year.

Ferguson and Gardner made a couple of nice catches but I'd like to see them get open more.

Favre played pretty good. He made better decisions. I don't believe I saw him throw into double coverage at all. I like too see that.

Aaron Rodgers was fantastic. He made one mistake and that was throwing a jump ball up to Boerighter and Cromartie just wanted it more. Outside of that, his throws were crisp and accurate. He played great and I'm starting too warm up to him.

The offensive line sucks. I don't know how else too put it. Chargers do have a nasty front 7 but if they can knock Favre on his but all day, I'd hate too see what Chicago will do Week 1. It improved a little as the game went on. Hopefully they bust they're buts this week and they continue to improve. Spitz and Colledge are young and that was they're first NFL action. On a side note Junius Coston is soft as cheese. He got bull rushed by someone at least 60 pounds lighter. First he gets beat just off the edge. Then just gets knocked on his but.

Running game needs to be alive. Davenport looked ok for playing behind a line that didn't get anything going. Gado didn't play well. That could be why Davenport started. Gado hurt a hamstring and never returned. I'd like too see more of him. Noah Herron didn't play much but when he was on the field he did get yardage.

Passing Defense D+

Running Defense C

Overall Defense C

Passing Offense B

Rushing Offense F

Overall Offense C

Team Overall C

I think I'm being generous as well.

After this I'm downgrading the Pack to 7-9 in my predictions. Hopefully next week is an improvement.

Reaction score
Spitz played better than College, IMO.

College needs more strength, and we need to learn how to cut block better. Spitz tried, and it was half decent, not bad for a rookie.

Above all else, the Packers were TERRIBLE at picking up blitzes, which says something because the Chargers were showing blitz early into the snap count. REALLY BAD lack of foucs/desire by our RB.

Brett getting killed made me mad, this is NOT what we need in his last year.

I'm REALLY worried about our o-line now.... :(

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I'm afraid I wouldn't look for TOO much improvement. Atlanta could rip us a new one.

Yeah I agree. Hopefully a weeks of practice and playing at home will help them.

This will be a test. I want to see how many guys on the offensive line miss practices this week. Including Clifton. In my opinion if your healthy enough to play then your healthy enough to practice in most cases.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 3 interior linemen were pure garbage. I'm seriously scared that Rod Coleman is going to end Favre's season next week.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MY thoughts on the preseason game (week 1):

I'd like to start off with the first 2 TDs we allowed. One was Carroll getting owned(shocker) and the other was cuz our backup backup safety Tra Boger was in and couldnt get the HB. Odds are, the 2nd td would have not happened (at least delayed, or forced a FG). You HAVE to keep those things in mind when points are scored,etc.

Also, GB was in the red zone early in the game and went for it on 4th down and didnt get it. You know why we went for it? Because its preseason. keep that in mind before you freak out. Get a hold of yourselves.

- Run defense looks good, Pass defense not so good

- Offensive pass blocking isnt very good(especially left side with Colledge).

- Najeh(who is returning from injury) didnt convert some 3rd and shorts that he normally would, and totally whiffed on a pass block that resulted in favre getting hit. That wont normally happen.

-Ahmad Carroll..........yeah.

-Hawk did get owned by Antonio gates. Shocker. Arguably the best TE in the game vs a rookie LB in preseason game 1. Cmon now...relax with that nonsense, boys.

-Gado returning kicks interests me. Id like to see more of that.
- Cory Rodgers doesnt impress me with returning. Good thing we got options (jennings,ferguson,woodson,gado,najeh). thats right. options. If Rodgers doesnt work out, do not get crazy, that would be silly on your part.

-Jon Ryan took the lead in the punting battle. On two of his sky high punts, it seemed to force the chargers to hold the packers and draw penalties, to try and make up for the air time. I liked it.

-mcCarthy made GREAT use of the challenge flags. I like a coach who knows how\when to use those bad boys.

-I liked our pass rush (from starters). KGB was getting to Rivers a lot, and eventually sacked him.

- I liked our moving pocket.

- Jennings got hit in the face with a Favre pass. he needs to get used to those rockets! lol. and oh yeah, 4 receptions-68 yards

overall thoughts: I liked what we did. Yeah. Thats right. Our run defense looks nice. Our pass defense should improve as woodson\harris stay on the field an entire game in regular season. If Jon Ryan was our starting punter, I would not mind one bit.

The only real problem I seen was the pass blocking, especially by Colledge. Spitz and Wells did fine. Coston sucked when he was in. He is still adapting to LT though, so give him a break.

With that said, it was preseason week 1. Dont sell your packers season tickets yet.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really loved the way Aaron Rodgers played tonite.

Also...it is TOO early to tell! lol

[Middle English to, from Old English t, to, furthermore. See de- in Indo-European Roots.]

Usage Note: Some language critics have objected to the use of not too as an equivalent of not very, as in She was not too pleased with the results. In many contexts this construction is entirely idiomatic and should pass without notice: It wasn't too long ago that deregulation was being hailed as the savior of the savings and loan industry. It was not too bright of them to build in an area where rock slides occur. In these cases not too adds a note of ironic understatement. ·Negation of too by can't may sometimes lead to ambiguities, as in You can't check your child's temperature too often, which may mean either that the temperature should be checked only occasionally or that it should be checked as frequently as possible. ·Too meaning “in additionâ€

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers looked good, even behind a pathetic offensive line.
He was 9-11 for 124 yards 1 int and had 21 of Green Bays 44 rushing yards.
Jennings looked good for a rookie.
Hawk and Hodge looked ok, they are always around the ball.
We had no pass rush, Rivers had all day to throw and threw for 169 yards.
Of course it didn't hurt that his recievers were so open. The DB's looked a step slow.
Mcarthy has stated that he is committed to running the football.
18 rushes, 3 of which were by Rogers, does not show me a commitment to a power running game.

I was at Lambeau last year for the 1st game of the pre-season against the Chargers. We won that game. IMHO we took a giant step backwards from that game.
I guess that should have been expected considering a new coaching staff, so many young players and a new blocking scheme.
I'm looking for a vast improvement by the last exhibition game.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
It was bad early but got better.
I take little comfort in a team that looks better as a preseason game progresses. Simply because as the game goes on the opponent is substituting and putting in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings. I don't want a team whose 3rd string can beat the cr@p out of another 3rd string. Who cares if our 1st string can't dominate the opposing starters as well?
All in all it makes for another long season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are way too generous with your grades, porky, but I agree with most of your points. One big difference is that I didn't see Hodge do much in this game, but you did. Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best player on the field for the Packers last night was clearly Rogers. He looked poised, made good passes, and for the most part made the right choices.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offensive line sucked big time!!! Arent there some good veterans still out there that we could get, or even semi good? Favre looks like hes going to get killed just like last year. When he had the ball, seemed like he had no time to throw, no protection whatsoever..

I thought Hawk did a good job and Rodgers...other then noone else stood out IMO...

If we want to compete, we surely have to get better then this...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
preseason game 1

Thats the classic thing to say when your team stinks it up in a preseason game, unless of course, they win or actually show a bit of life, then you brag about how good they will be.

I agree that some of Porky's grades were generous. Porky has a thing for Hodge and Jennings so I understand. In all honesty though, last night Hodge wasn't at all impressive and Jennings dropped a few passes. It's hard to find anyone who played great last night. A-rod is the only one I saw that did ANYTHING.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for your guys summaries and Gradings I didn't watch it I'm as sick as a dog and was puking my lungs out all night

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
preseason game 1

Thats the classic thing to say when your team stinks it up in a preseason game.

1. It is common sense. The bears lost this weekend. their defense didnt look good. Most of that was because they went out there with the most basic bland defense they had. Why? Because its preseason week 1. For YOU that might spell the end of the world, for people with common sense, it's preseason week 1. Why did McCarthy go for it on 4th down early in the game? Oh yeah, its preseason week 1.

2. "when your team stinks it up?" are you saying this isn't your team or something. Are you finally admitting you're not a packers fan. It's been evident for quite a while now.

but yeah, the sky is falling.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
preseason game 1

1. It is common sense. The bears lost this weekend. their defense didnt look good. Most of that was because they went out there with the most basic bland defense they had. Why? Because its preseason week 1. For YOU that might spell the end of the world, for people with common sense, it's preseason week 1. Why did McCarthy go for it on 4th down early in the game? Oh yeah, its preseason week 1.

2. "when your team stinks it up?" are you saying this isn't your team or something. Are you finally admitting you're not a packers fan. It's been evident for quite a while now.

Yeah thats it Trom, just because I don't paint a rosey picture of everything I must not be a Packer fan. Give me a break.

You know what the point is. If the Packers would have won and looked good you would state how this team was so much improved, blah, blah, blah. Instead they lost and looked terrible so you revert to the classic "it's just preseason" stuff.

Winning/Losing means nothing in pre-season, I agree, but, when your first unit Offense and Defense get whipped up and down consistently it's not a good sign.

Your assessment of the Bears is something completely different. Defensively you can be bland but when you are trying to protect the QB who gives you your only chance to be competetive you better do what it takes to protect him. No doubt they tried but they were just NOT able to do it. Thats what happens when you ignore the O-Line and try to fill spots with Rookies and Inexperienced players.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with pyle, that winning or losing isn't important, it's the terrible showing by our 1st string units (specifically O-Line) that are so worring. IMO, like arrow said before and now I can see where he was coming from, and pyle said it too, the season is riding on the O-line.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
preseason game 1

Yeah thats it Trom, just because I don't paint a rosey picture of everything I must not be a Packer fan. Give me a break.

No, because you called it "Your" team(referring to me). didnt realize that was confusing.

the rookie olinemen were facing real\different defensive linemen and blitz packages for the first time. why ur surprised\disgusted\shocked\sad\upset they struggled is beyond me. i would like to have some of the drugs you have.

Reaction score
Guys lets not resort to personal attacks, rather discuss and debate the main issue and the points one raises, WITHOUT resorting to attacking them, no matter how much they differ from your point.

PLEASE. I asked nicely. :)

Reaction score
tromadz said:
nobody is resorting to personal attacks, calm yourself.

Not now, but it can get pretty heated later on when more people come online. Just a reminder. :)

Oh and I am calm, I"M ****ING CALM DAMN IT, YOU DON'T KNOW ME AND HOW CALM I ****ING AM! :p