Moves linked to Favre

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause said:
Two burning questions surround the Green Bay Packers this offseason:

1. Is Brett Favre coming back?

2. What is General Manager Ted Thompson doing to make the team better?

We are led to believe the answer to Question 1 depends on how Favre views Question 2.

When asked about his plans earlier this month, Favre told ESPN: “I love to play the game, but I want to compete at a high level. I’d like to know our team is going to compete at a high level.â€

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - those "invented reports" by Profootballtalk.com are pushing the envelope of good reporting - ala that four-letter network. It's simple spock logic that center and left guard are where Favre would be most vunerable. But I agree with the thought that Flanagan is on the way out of football. But, will we get lucky enough to find a starting Guard in the Draft? That's about all that's left as of today - I'm not seeing any other options. How about any of you?

I'll say this - I do like how Ted Thompson has every intention on NOT mortgaging the future of the Packers, like Minnesota has just done. We need to be prudent and stay focused financially, no matter HOW you view the immediate short-term. The Board of Directors, I would think, have every intention of leaving this fact at the top of their To-Do List. I know I would.

We have a new CBA, sure! But, it came very very close to not turning out that way. Which would have been incredibly uncomfortable for Green Bay's entire future. I commented before how NO ONE HERE would really like to see the lights turned out at Lambeau.... for good.... correct?

So, knowing that we could face very much the same situation in about half a decade, the Packers are NOT going to just go full-boat-banana on a spending spree to 'maybe' come up with one more Superbowl win, just as things end on such a note as described (above).

Some of the signings we've seen in the last week appear to be not-so-hot. But TT's been pretty good at defining good talent, especially on Defense. The Packers need, more than anything, a rebirth on Defense, and Thompson favors focusing on that side of the ball - we can let McCarthy & Jags worry about the O-side of the line.

A couple of things to note --

Awhile back, there was a report out about Ferguson possibly going to the Eagles. I haven't heard that this idea has died yet, ...you? That would/could mean another potential draft pick.

When Javon goes away - don't we have an option for yet another draft pick as part of that?

I'm figuring on the Packers actually getting very close to around 10 draft picks all told, by the end of April. It's just that, right now, we seem to be on the slow boat, as opposed to the fast train. Sorta like my days in the military (USAF), where you were always told to hurry up & wait....

Part of my math on draft picks is based on the extra pick we get for Rivera, along with the non-compensatory pick we seem to be slated to get, in the final round(s).... - with that knowledge we're already up to 7 draft picks.

The way they handle the Javon Walker nonsense could mean an extra pick very very early in the Draft, as well.

JMHO

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB..

Glad you gave the whole website...

i went to pft.com and it was nothing but a bunch of friggin' cats on that site...!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a long time I didn't think Brett would be coming back. I'm thinking that the longer he is away the more he realizes that he still has the competitive spirit. He also knows he can still play at a high level, even though he didn't always do that last year.

As for what Thompson is doing to help the team: what I like most is that he isn't spending foolishly and over paying players. That was a significant downfall for Mike Sherman. I also think he's going to try to rebuild this team through the draft and then fill in spots with free agents. My feelings are that this team isn't in position to win it all and so he's not going to buy that missing piece. He's trying to fill holes right now and so far I like what he's doing. Whether it works or not, we won't know until the season starts. It does look however as if they're not real confident in Rogers.

If Favre comes back I'd love for them to be able to get a commitment from him for more than one year so we can stop all this boring retirement talk and think football. I think Thompson's job would be much easier if he knew that he could count on Brett for another two or three years. If he could do that, it's easier to fill in the pieces around him.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? I have for some time been wondering what it must be like for Favre today. Looking at the Packer team and realizing there is only one member still around from the big dance. That has to be a bit depressing. All of the old buddies are gone; Winter, Flanny, the guards. Must make hime feel a bit naked walking back unto a field that has so few recognizable faces. perhaps that's part of his dilemma as well. Just some idle thought!