Most painful loss as a Packers fan?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did say what game in their lifetimes. ;)

All of the disappointments already mentioned were heartbreaking but I'm a little surprised no one yet has mentioned Fail Mary.

I think I was more furious than disappointed. The silver lining on that one is at least there was a game to play next week.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 26 because I broke my lamp and punched a hole in the wall. I spent a lot of money the next few seasons watching the games at bars because I wasn’t allowed to watch them at home.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have lost five playoff games in overtime since 2003. Seattle and New Orleans (both at two) are the only other teams with more than one during that time.
Reading through this thread, it reminds me of something I've thought several times in the past: That the Packers have had more than their share of heartbreaking games since their resurgence. A lot of that is due to the fact that they've been a regular feature in the playoffs in the past quarter century, but there have been a lot of them.

I'm a little surprised no one yet has mentioned Fail Mary.
I was less disappointed with that game as just plain angry. But as far as I'm concerned, we won that game and everybody knew it - except that minority who insist the NFL made the right call. :rolleyes: :poop:

Plus it was a regular season game so the stakes weren't quite as high. Although IIRC it might have had some effect on the seeding that season, we might have played the 49ers in GB had we won.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 26 because I broke my lamp and punched a hole in the wall. I spent a lot of money the next few seasons watching the games at bars because I wasn’t allowed to watch them at home.

so your mom got pissed off at you for destroying her house and forbade you from watching the games at home after your little "4th and 26" temper tantrum, dude? how old were you when that happened?

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so your mom got pissed off at you for destroying her house and forbade you from watching the games at home after your little "4th and 26" temper tantrum, dude? how old were you when that happened?

Ha ha I was 27 and it was my wife. She still loves to tell that story every time we are watching football with people.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh haha. Didn't realize u were married back when 4th and 26 happened. Is she a Packers/football fan too or not really?

H

HardRightEdge

Blowing the lead against Seattle in the Conference championship.

4&26
TO from Young after Rice no call fumble

Those are good runner up choices for me, along with the Super Bowl loss to Denver.

One more: the Kaepernick romp-a-thon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh haha. Didn't realize u were married back when 4th and 26 happened. Is she a Packers/football fan too or not really?

She cheers for all Wisconsin teams because she doesn’t want me in a bad mood but she doesn’t really care for sports.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
She cheers for all Wisconsin teams because she doesn’t want me in a bad mood but she doesn’t really care for sports.

lol I can dig it, Fat Dogs. Nobody likes it when you are in a bad mood, bc that is when you get abusive! :*(

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I can dig it, Fat Dogs. Nobody likes it when you are in a bad mood, bc that is when you get abusive! :*(

Ha ha my wife is ex military and more than capable of murder. I’m expecting someone on this board to call the authorities if a season goes by and you don’t hear from me.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of painful losses, I'm watching the 1996 NFFCG on Fox right now. We were getting closer, but the Cowboys were still too good. That stupid field (Texas Stadium) with the hump in the middle to allow the rain to run off.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of painful losses, I'm watching the 1996 NFFCG on Fox right now. We were getting closer, but the Cowboys were still too good. That stupid field (Texas Stadium) with the hump in the middle to allow the rain to run off.
It's weird how Favre has a losing record against Dallas, while Rodgers has a winning record against that team.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's weird how Favre has a losing record against Dallas, while Rodgers has a winning record against that team.
Dallas was a monster dominant team in Favre's day, for awhile there at least. What comes to my mind when I compare them is that Dallas was Favre's favorite team and he never beat them in the playoffs. While the 49ers were Rodgers' favorite team, and he's never beaten them in the playoffs.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Green Bay @ Arizona 2015 Divisional
  2. 2012 Divisional champ - Kaepernik ran over 180yrds + 2TDs
  3. 2004-Philadelphia, 4th & 26 game
  4. Green Bay @ Seattle 2014 NFC Championship
  5. 2011 15-1 Season

I wasn't that mad at the NFC Championship. It was a close game and though Bostick fumbled at a critical time. People were mad at Bostick, but we had opportunities that we did not capitalize, even after the fumble. Seahawks scored making it 22-19 with 1:30 left in regulation. Another chance, yet we failed to score, the team was to blame -- Bostick was the scapegoat.

The majority of the games that hurt were the ones that team made us look silly and we had no answer for.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Green Bay @ Arizona 2015 Divisional
  2. 2012 Divisional champ - Kaepernik ran over 180yrds + 2TDs
  3. 2004-Philadelphia, 4th & 26 game
  4. Green Bay @ Seattle 2014 NFC Championship
  5. 2011 15-1 Season
I wasn't that mad at the NFC Championship. It was a close game and though Bostick fumbled at a critical time. People were mad at Bostick, but we had opportunities that we did not capitalize, even after the fumble. Seahawks scored making it 22-19 with 1:30 left in regulation. Another chance, yet we failed to score, the team was to blame -- Bostick was the scapegoat.

The majority of the games that hurt were the ones that team made us look silly and we had no answer for.

For me it is the Seattle game but not just because of Bostick though that is a major factor; Bennett was offsides and the refs missed it resulting in a interception because Rodgers thought it was a free play and we allowed them to get a TD off of a fake field goal we should have been much better prepared for.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If that's the case the debacle against Atlanta in 2016 and 49ers this year should make the list those where some of the most painful games to watch I've ever seen us play.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was either the Championship game in Seattle it the Failed Mary!!!!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it is the Seattle game but not just because of Bostick though that is a major factor; Bennett was offsides and the refs missed it resulting in a interception because Rodgers thought it was a free play and we allowed them to get a TD off of a fake field goal we should have been much better prepared for.
Yeah, I don't blame Bostick, even though he messed up. The whole team worked together to do everything they could to lose that game. If Bostick would have caught it, we probably would have fumbled a snap.

If that's the case the debacle against Atlanta in 2016 and 49ers this year should make the list those where some of the most painful games to watch I've ever seen us play.
I remember the Atlanta game as being more painful, because I actually had some hope we'd show up for that one, if not win. The 49ers game was absolutely disgusting to sit through, but I can't say I was surprised.

Reaction score
This ones easy for me.

1. The 2011 Divisional against the Giants. This is a clear front runner because the expectations were very high.

How do you have a Super Potent Offense, blowing opponents out all year to the tune of a 15-1 record and then get a week off and play at Home? only to look worse than the 2019 Divisional (which was on the road). Never made sense to me.

2. Against the Cardinals.. our loss in OT after a shootout.

3. Our 2007 loss to the NY in OT in the NFC game

4. Our 2014 loss to Seattle in the NFC game. Up 16-0 at the half and just gave that game away. We also know we likely would’ve given the Patriots a run for their money the following game.

We must be the most losing team to make the playoffs repeatedly over a 2 decade span

Last edited:

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't blame Bostick, even though he messed up. The whole team worked together to do everything they could to lose that game. If Bostick would have caught it, we probably would have fumbled a snap.

I remember the Atlanta game as being more painful, because I actually had some hope we'd show up for that one, if not win. The 49ers game was absolutely disgusting to sit through, but I can't say I was surprised.

I to remember having hope against Atlanta though in hindsight thinking Gunter on Julio could end in anything less than disaster was more than a little optimistic.

I wasn't super surprised about the niners either but I was hoping it would end up like 2015 against the Cards were we played much better than when we played in the regular season......except without the heart wrenching OT loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts