most overpaid player on the packers?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It actually couldn't be spent in other areas. The TV contract revenues are what drive the salaries. I believe the CBA states that player salaries must be 49% of gross revenues.
You seriously didn't just write that that Aaron Rodgers is overpaid did you? :confused:

I get your point of all athletes are overpaid (in comparison to us non athletes), but that is a whole different discussion.
Well then feel free to include all movie stars also and pretty much everyone else in entertainment. The only way to create the utopia you wish for is to get every one of you buddies, go down to the ER and cheer your brains out and buy their autographs.

Either that or except the fact that entertainers in this world are the ones that the common people burn their cash on and thus line their wallets. It might not be right but it's how it is.... Your other option is very open to you

yes i did say AR is overpaid, but in the context of the OP, he is the best so deserves the best

didn't mean to open a can of worms as such, should have put a disclaimer on my own post. i know it's the TV revenues and sponsorship deals that dictates where money goes. i'll get off my high horse now :tup:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, if you're talking about pro athletes being overpaid as a whole, that's an entirely different discussion. But if we're talking solely value, if you were an NFL GM starting a team from scratch and had $143.28M to spend (the salary cap), which would be your best investment among top QBs?

Rodgers at $22M
Wilson at $21.9M
Roethelisberger at $21.85M
Eli Manning at $21M
Rivers at $20.8125M
Newton at $20.76M
Ryan at $20.75M
Flacco at $20.1M

Less than $2M difference in average annual salary between the top 8. No-brainer, Rodgers is worth every penny and the best investment price among the 8 despite being the most expensive.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Less than $2M difference in average annual salary between the top 8. No-brainer, Rodgers is worth every penny and the best investment price among the 8 despite being the most expensive.

With that extra $2 M can I hire Cutler to carry AR's jock?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment on Clay is reflecting paying him top dollar as an outside linebacker and now that he is moved to ILBer he is paid Luke Kuechley $.

D

Deleted member 6794

My comment on Clay is reflecting paying him top dollar as an outside linebacker and now that he is moved to ILBer he is paid Luke Kuechley $.

I get where you're coming from. But while Matthews isn't as dominant as Kuechly playing inside he's way more versatile. I expect him to line up outside more often against pass oriented offenses amd having a hige impact rushing the passer so I'm fine with his salary.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's team is the second youngest in the league.

It's probable the Packers won't be able to hold on to

The Saints are paying Byrd an average of $9 million a season. While he hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of money in New Orleans so far he got injured early last season to be fair. Clinton-Dix is still playing under his rookie contract so it would be better to compare Burnett's salary ($6.2 million annually) to Byrd's.
I agree with you. I was trying to draw a comparison of the choices TT had when we needed a safety. As always, he avoids overpaying and generally finds good talent in the draft. Even if Byrd hadn't been injured, Dix was the better choice, or one of the other safeties available in that draft.

I knew the Packers were young, but am astounded at how young. Age wise, you'd think they were rebuilding instead of being a SB favorite. Amazing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you. I was trying to draw a comparison of the choices TT had when we needed a safety. As always, he avoids overpaying and generally finds good talent in the draft. Even if Byrd hadn't been injured, Dix was the better choice, or one of the other safeties available in that draft.

I knew the Packers were young, but am astounded at how young. Age wise, you'd think they were rebuilding instead of being a SB favorite. Amazing.

Clinton-Dix was the player I wanted the Packers to draft in the first round of last year's draft and his rookie season was decent but Byrd is a special talent (at least he was in Buffalo).

It sure made sense financially to go with the rookie though.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from. But while Matthews isn't as dominant as Kuechly playing inside he's way more versatile. I expect him to line up outside more often against pass oriented offenses amd having a hige impact rushing the passer so I'm fine with his salary.
I mean its really our fault as we shouldnt have to use him there. Damn you Ted Thompson!

Sky King

Reaction score
i would have to say Aaron Rodgers

i say this not because i think AR is crap at his job. more that ALL sportsmen(and women) are grossly overpaid for what they do. the money now spent in this kind of industry is shocking when you consider the money could be spent on more deserving aspects of life such as emergency services/military verterans etc....
Are you now or have you ever been a contestant for the Miss America crown? :coffee:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would have to say Aaron Rodgers

i say this not because i think AR is crap at his job. more that ALL sportsmen(and women) are grossly overpaid for what they do. the money now spent in this kind of industry is shocking when you consider the money could be spent on more deserving aspects of life such as emergency services/military verterans etc....

When the players generate billions, it's only fair they get their share of it. When athletes and veterans, etc get their money from different sources, it's not a fair comparison.

If athletes were also paid by taxes, I'd agree with you. If we were to pay emergency services or veterans the same, we'd have to greatly increass taxes by an insane amount.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean its really our fault as we shouldnt have to use him there. Damn you Ted Thompson!

Ideally the Packers wouldn´t have to use Matthews inside but the talent level at the position isn´t anywhere near good enough to make that happen. Maybe next year.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix was the player I wanted the Packers to draft in the first round of last year's draft and his rookie season was decent but Byrd is a special talent (at least he was in Buffalo).

It sure made sense financially to go with the rookie though.
Yeah and then you have the chance to let a guy grow into the culture, something the Packers take seriously. I think it's another reason TT has such a low profile in free agency. First, you're mostly paying for past success, the player just isn't as motivated as a talented but raw rookie. Second is the matter of bringing a FA to a new culture. I liked Dix too and it was one of TT's better defensive picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah and then you have the chance to let a guy grow into the culture, something the Packers take seriously. I think it's another reason TT has such a low profile in free agency. First, you're mostly paying for past success, the player just isn't as motivated as a talented but raw rookie. Second is the matter of bringing a FA to a new culture. I liked Dix too and it was one of TT's better defensive picks.

Don't forget that Thompson signed Peppers to a similar contract the Saints handed out to Byrd last offseason. The Packers could have gone a different direction with their first-round pick during last year's draft.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that Thompson signed Peppers to a similar contract the Saints handed out to Byrd last offseason. The Packers could have gone a different direction with their first-round pick during last year's draft.
That's true and Peppers is being paid a lot this year. It's not that TT never participates in FA, but when he does he usually has a good reason. Peppers wanted to play for a SB contender and was/is very motivated by that. Peppers has been a huge lift to the D. Getting back to Dix, in addition to having a solid rookie campaign, I believe his presence helped elevate the performance of Burnett, who also had a good year in 2014.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then feel free to include all movie stars also and pretty much everyone else in entertainment. The only way to create the utopia you wish for is to get every one of you buddies, go down to the ER and cheer your brains out and buy their autographs.

Either that or except the fact that entertainers in this world are the ones that the common people burn their cash on and thus line their wallets. It might not be right but it's how it is.... Your other option is very open to you

And, that's his point.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson uses free agency to address positions of need, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, but as I've said repeatedly not enough IMO.
Well that was certainly true this year. When we needed safety help two years ago, he didn't look to fix it in FA but there was a fair amount of talent in the draft. I think Dix was the best of the lot and it's paying off.

But this offseason, I don't understand why he didn't try to address ILB in FA. The draft class was weak. I don't think any ILBs were drafted in the first round. And if the excuse was we have CMIII to rely on, well that's a lousy excuse. CMIII has done very well at ILB, but I thought that was a temporary fix last year. CMIII is one of the best OLBs I've seen. So to take him away from the position he plays best, for any number of snaps, isn't optimal. If there was ever a year we needed help in FA, it was this year at ILB. TT didn't deliver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well that was certainly true this year. When we needed safety help two years ago, he didn't look to fix it in FA but there was a fair amount of talent in the draft. I think Dix was the best of the lot and it's paying off.

While that is true it took Thompson more than two years to at least adequately replace Nick Collins after he was lost to a career-ending injury by drafting Clinton-Dix.

But this offseason, I don't understand why he didn't try to address ILB in FA. The draft class was weak. I don't think any ILBs were drafted in the first round. And if the excuse was we have CMIII to rely on, well that's a lousy excuse. CMIII has done very well at ILB, but I thought that was a temporary fix last year. CMIII is one of the best OLBs I've seen. So to take him away from the position he plays best, for any number of snaps, isn't optimal. If there was ever a year we needed help in FA, it was this year at ILB. TT didn't deliver.

There weren't any impact inside linebackers available in free agency this offseason though. That's why I would have preffered Thompson to address the position with the Packers first-round pick (Kendricks). Cornerback could have far easier been addressed with a second- or third-tier free agent.

BTW Stephone Anthony (Saints) was the only ILB selected in the first-round of this year's draft.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that is true it took Thompson more than two years to at least adequately replace Nick Collins after he was lost to a career-ending injury by drafting Clinton-Dix.

There weren't any impact inside linebackers available in free agency this offseason though. That's why I would have preffered Thompson to address the position with the Packers first-round pick (Kendricks). Cornerback could have far easier been addressed with a second- or third-tier free agent.

BTW Stephone Anthony (Saints) was the only ILB selected in the first-round of this year's draft.
Thanks for the updates. I think taking Kendricks in the first round would have been equivalent to overpaying. Back to the BPA philosophy, which of course isn't always followed, Randall was a much better value and also at a position of need, given the loss of Williams and House. But to your point, if TT had dome something about Collins two years ago, they wouldn't have needed to pick up two corners.

Unfortunately, by the time the Packers picked in Round 2, Kendricks and the other decent ILBs were gone. And it confirmed that the available ILB talent was second, not first round talent. It will be interesting to see how Kendricks will perform this year. I agree he was the best available ILB in the draft, but taking him in round 1 would have been a mistake.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Forgot to mention this, but why doesn't TT put together trades at position of need? If there were no worthy FAs this year at ILB, and the available draft talent was second round material, why not trade? The packers have (or had) a lot of depth at WR. Why not try to work out a trade? I'm sure it was looked at and maybe there weren't any willing partners, but it seems like a good option and another one that TT rarely uses (trading).

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this, but why doesn't TT put together trades at position of need? If there were no worthy FAs this year at ILB, and the available draft talent was second round material, why not trade? The packers have (or had) a lot of depth at WR. Why not try to work out a trade? I'm sure it was looked at and maybe there weren't any willing partners, but it seems like a good option and another one that TT rarely uses (trading).
Player for player trades are rare in the NFL and Ted simply won't Part with Draft picks.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Player for player trades are rare in the NFL and Ted simply won't Part with Draft picks.
That's true about trades. Very different than MLB. And I would never support trading draft picks. Trading FOR draft picks would be ok, but TT has kept this team 1) young and 2) in contention every year by writing the book on draft and develop. Captain pointed out that GB is the second youngest team in the NFL this year, which is mind boggling to me considering just how good they are.

Members online

Latest posts