Montgomery "lower leg" injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While the Packer offense can be successful without a great running back, you have to wonder how much better they could be with an elite running back. I still have my doubts that one of those exist on the team, Monty and a hand full of rookies selected late 4th round and beyond. Maybe one of the rookies will be the next Jordan Howard, but I have a sinking feeling that 2017 is going to be another season of Air Rodgers and a so so run game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery won't last all year unfortunately

Montgomery is built like a running back and definitely capable of taking the punishment at the position. You're overreacting to hopefully a small setback.

While the Packer offense can be successful without a great running back, you have to wonder how much better they could be with an elite running back. I still have my doubts that one of those exist on the team, Monty and a hand full of rookies selected late 4th round and beyond. Maybe one of the rookies will be the next Jordan Howard, but I have a sinking feeling that 2017 is going to be another season of Air Rodgers and a so so run game.

There's no doubt it would be awesome for the Packers to have an elite running back but with Rodgers running the show I honestly believe the team will be fine with Montgomery and the rookies as long as only one of them steps up this season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every team's offense would be better with an elite RB. An elite one isn't needed to have a solid running game though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are more than 3-5 backs I would call elite in the entire league anymore. We need healthy and consistent. I like the versatility Montgomery brings to the position, and in my way too early to tell evaluation, I really liked the way Jamal Williams looked in limited action in his first game. He looks like a RB in how he moves, runs and finishes. I'm excited to see more from him and again, in my way too early to tell opinion, if he gets the playbook, he's going to see a lot of time back there when he does.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I probably should not have used the word "elite", rather "solid" RB(s). Does our offense need to rely on a running game? No. My point was that I can only imagine just how much better the offense could be with a solid run game. Much of the current running game is feast or famine and a lot of its success (IMO) is due to the defense having to respect AR and his arm. Put Brett Hundley in at QB and I am not so sure we have much of a running game.

I remain cautiously optimistic that Monty (if healthy) or 1 of the rookies can get the job done this year, but I am not really expecting much more than what we saw last year, which was an average run game.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was that I can only imagine just how much better the offense could be with a solid run game. Much of the current running game is feast or famine and a lot of its success (IMO) is due to the defense having to respect AR and his arm.

I fully expect Montgomery and the rookies being capable of providing a solid rushing attack this season.

At the very least something that opposing defenses respect to keep them from teeing off on Rodgers, and open the play action back up.

Agreed, it´s mind-boggling that the Packers ranked only 28th in play action percentage as well as yards gained per play in those situations last season while having the best quarterback in the league.

And when the run game is working not to strangely abandon it as MM has done in the past.

In my opinion that´s not a valid criticism of McCarthy.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts