MMs 4th Quarter playcalling

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a thought about MMs playcalling, and while I am mostly happy I have a concern that might be going on in his head. When we get up to big leads or moderate ones in the 4th he seems to want to run run run the ball. example Minnesota. Its fine but sometimes the teams hang around a little longer and start to catch up on the scoreboard. I question why he doesnt let Arod finish these teams off. I know teams traditionally dont like passing because of turning the ball over but the guy we have behind center so rarely turns it over I dont think this applies like it did to the previous QB MM coached. Should MM let Arod sling it in the 4th with the lead? Or just go conservative like he has been?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pedal to the metal.

Exactly. Full throttle Pack Attack. I noticed the same thing last year. They'd get the lead and seemingly "take it easy" in the 4th or 2nd half and allow the team to hang around. It's nearly cost us a couple of games, most notable and most recently, the Vikings game. In this league, especially against a division rival, we cannot afford to take our foot off the gas. Why not keep running up the score if we have the offense to get it done? If the game is already pretty much over at the 3rd, and the other team is down and out, maybe rest some starters and put in Flynn or something, but have a care of what your opponent is doing. I'm more for the Full Pack Attack. If they played the Falcons for a full 4 quarters as they did the 2nd half, we would of roasted those birds. Our offense alone is capable of blowing out more than half the teams on the schedule, let alone the league. Why go into conservative mode when you can win and not have to worry about looking over your shoulder for the entire 4th quarter.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree with you all so far. If I was the Coach, and it's a darn good thing I'm not, I would mix in the run with "bread and butter" passes in the fourth quarter to run the clock out. DD over the middle, Finley quick slant, etc. These high percentage passes are just as a good as a run in my opinion.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean Rodgers doesnt throw many INTs. I feel like him throwing the ball is as safe as us running it really as far as turnovers go. Now why he would go conservative with Brett I understood that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He has to have a reason as to why....And I would like to know the reason, but I do trust that he knows what he is doing...

Just makes you scratch your head sometimes

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean Rodgers doesnt throw many INTs. I feel like him throwing the ball is as safe as us running it really as far as turnovers go. Now why he would go conservative with Brett I understood that.

Exactly. Different weapons. Favre was prone to misfiring and he'd malfunction more often than not. Rodgers is reliable, consistent, and dependable. Not to mention his O-line. Pick a target and fire, I would like to see the Packers play 4 quarters of football.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to have a reason as to why....And I would like to know the reason, but I do trust that he knows what he is doing...

Just makes you scratch your head sometimes

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is he's trying to rest or prevent injury to his QB/ receiving corps by running the ball more in the 4th. That makes sense but we just cannot allow teams to hang that close and risk losing games that are ours to win.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Running the ball = milking the clock.

So if they are trying to come back and make it close or give us a heart attack, he'll tick down some of the clock, making it tougher on them.

At least he don't go up 20 points in the 4th quarter and keep throwing the ball like Dallas did against Detroit, it sure did come back to bite them...

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Dropped passes stop the clock. You run the ball to eat the clock, you run the ball to minimize turnover, you run the ball to shorten the game, you run the ball to exert your will on your opponent. You run the ball now to train your team, because in late December and January you damn well better be able to run the ball.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Dropped passes stop the clock. You run the ball to eat the clock, you run the ball to minimize turnover, you run the ball to shorten the game, you run the ball to exert your will on your opponent. You run the ball now to train your team, because in late December and January you damn well better be able to run the ball.

This is true. Especially the last part.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least he don't go up 20 points in the 4th quarter and keep throwing the ball like Dallas did against Detroit, it sure did come back to bite them...

But rodgers isnt likely to throw 3 INTs in the 2nd half. And F*ck milking the clock, lets just work the scoreboard.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have to get at least 10 yards to milk the clock, otherwise its pointless. Rodgers was 24-30 on sunday including one that stopped the clock. Im not worried about dropped passes. Play aggressive on Sunday through all 4 quarters and we can stop letting teams give us scares. Aaron rodgers is by far the best player in the NFL right now (dont listen to bears fans who say Forte is), so lets treat the 4th quarter offense like it.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem is this: why do teams run at the end of the game? Because they want to run the clock out. Rodgers was 24/30 with a ball he threw away, one he spiked to stop the clock, and a pass in Cobb's hands that was a sure TD. That said, he missed 3/30 passes. Keep passing the damned ball and put more points on the board. Don't worry about him throwing an incompletion and the clock stopping. That's just stupid.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well................lately he is running when I would be throwing, and throwing when I would be running.

But he's wearing that Superbowl ring, I'm not.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Running the ball = milking the clock.

So if they are trying to come back and make it close or give us a heart attack, he'll tick down some of the clock, making it tougher on them.

Regardless of A-Rod's throwing accuracy, there are those occasional dropped passes. With a decent lead, the last thing we need is a turnover. That's the sort of thing that can really motivate the opponent & take the wind out of our sails. As much as I respect our passing game, I think being a little conservative in maintaining a lead may not be such a bad thing.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You have to get at least 10 yards to milk the clock, otherwise its pointless. Rodgers was 24-30 on sunday including one that stopped the clock. Im not worried about dropped passes. Play aggressive on Sunday through all 4 quarters and we can stop letting teams give us scares. Aaron rodgers is by far the best player in the NFL right now (dont listen to bears fans who say Forte is), so lets treat the 4th quarter offense like it.

I feel we did try to play aggressive Look At the play calling for the 4th quarter. We had 3 possessions in the 4th quarter. First drive is two incomplete's and one rush. second drive is 3 passes and one rush with an incomplete ending the drive. so where is the conservative play calling there? You can't go all pass against a pass rush like the Vikings.

But the final drive is what should make everyone stand up and take notice. It is going to make all the other teams in the leauge stand up and take notice. We are not just a pass team. We exerted our will one of the best defensive lines. The Vikings were expecting the run. They were loading up the box and we still rammed it down their throats. Be happy people. Our offense is freekishly unreal and we haven't even gotten all cylinders running yet

Ok so lets break down the 4th quarter

Vikes get FG
elapsed time 1:30

1st packer drive. 13:48 on the clock
Incomplete pass
rush no gain
incomplete pass
3 and out 1:05 elapsed time

Vikings score a TD in 4:41 min

Packers 2nd drive
Pass 15 yard 1st down
rush -2
passs 6
pass incomplete
2:11 elapsed time

Def holds Vikes
2:49 elapsed

Pack gets ball on the 20 with 2:30 to go. Min has all 3 timeouts
Rush +15
Rush + 4
Rush +20
Rush - 1
Rush +4
Rush +13
Victory Formation
Win
2:30 elapsed with 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Besides who wants boring. If it weren't exciting what would be the point. It was great to beat the crap out of Atlanta last year but what a boring second half. Now the Bears, Eagles, Bears, and Steelers games that ended with the interceptions those were great games. Those had me wound up like a spring and exploding with joy at the end. That's what watching football is all about. who wants to watch the Pack beat some hapless team by 55 points, what fun is that.

I'm old and Jaded, I can't ride those fast rides anymore, I don't go out and party till dawn. This and Scuba Diving are the only two adrenalin rushes left in my life. Give me the Close nail biter every time. A

As long as we win ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I

Vikes get FG

Incomplete pass
rush no gain
incomplete pass

Packers 2nd drive
Pass 15 yard 1st down
rush -2
passs 6
pass incomplete

Def holds Vikes

Rush +15
Rush + 4
Rush +20
Rush - 1
Rush +4
Rush +13
Victory Formation
Win

So 5 out of 7 times the Packers passed during their 1st two series..And people are complaining that they dont put the pedal down??

As far as the last series, that got a 1st down on 1st play...Stick with it and it worked

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Great post realcaliforniacheese. I always appreciate it when posters who provide facts instead of just impressions.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel we did try to play aggressive Look At the play calling for the 4th quarter. We had 3 possessions in the 4th quarter. First drive is two incomplete's and one rush. second drive is 3 passes and one rush with an incomplete ending the drive. so where is the conservative play calling there? You can't go all pass against a pass rush like the Vikings.

But the final drive is what should make everyone stand up and take notice. It is going to make all the other teams in the leauge stand up and take notice. We are not just a pass team. We exerted our will one of the best defensive lines. The Vikings were expecting the run. They were loading up the box and we still rammed it down their throats. Be happy people. Our offense is freekishly unreal and we haven't even gotten all cylinders running yet

Vikes get FG

Incomplete pass
rush no gain
incomplete pass

Packers 2nd drive
Pass 15 yard 1st down
rush -2
passs 6
pass incomplete

Def holds Vikes

Rush +15
Rush + 4
Rush +20
Rush - 1
Rush +4
Rush +13
Victory Formation
Win

You cant go all pass with the best QB in the league against a terrible secondary who was without about 4 of their secondary? I take it your not so much for picking on a teams weakness. Teams have been picking on ours.

From the first half to the second half our run total more than doubled (8 to 17 by my count) and our pass total was cut in half from 22 to 11. Yes we won, and we continue to win (havent trailed in the 4th quarter in 14 or so games now) butMM has made a habit of going more conservative late in the game with a lead and I wasnt just saying hey it was one game, no this has been an ongoing thing.

Last year vs MN Oct 24, 2010
4 minutes left in the 3rd Packers are up 28-24 and Packers go 5 runs 2 passes. end of quarter. Packers start 4th quarter with 3 runs and 2 passes and get stuffed on a 4th down and turn the ball over. MN fails to capitalize and the score never changes.

Last year vs Eagles Sept 12, 2010
4th quarter, Packers 27-20 take over with 5:43 remaining MM calls 4 runs and then calls a pass when we are 3rd and 7. incomplete. Vick takes over, Clay Matthews saves the day with a 4th and 1 stop.

You said "We are not just a pass team" but the truth is we pretty much are, as we rank 27th in the league for rushing yards per attempt. While as a passing team we are head and shoulders above even the 2nd best team in the league in passing yards per attempt.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides who wants boring. If it weren't exciting what would be the point. It was great to beat the crap out of Atlanta last year but what a boring second half. Now the Bears, Eagles, Bears, and Steelers games that ended with the interceptions those were great games. Those had me wound up like a spring and exploding with joy at the end. That's what watching football is all about. who wants to watch the Pack beat some hapless team by 55 points, what fun is that.

I'm old and Jaded, I can't ride those fast rides anymore, I don't go out and party till dawn. This and Scuba Diving are the only two adrenalin rushes left in my life. Give me the Close nail biter every time. A

As long as we win ;)

That Cardinals game in the playoffs was as exciting a game as I have ever seen. Still havent been able to watch it. I have watched the Atlanta game a few times now.

Members online