MM and AR Rift

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You see AR's postgame presser?
Even if it's minor, there's something there. He's not a happy camper. It's very obvious who his comments were directed towards.
Yesterday people were wondering how posters were unhappy when the team won 22-0? But it turns out it wasn't just posters who were unhappy, Rodgers was unhappy with the offense also.

The keyword I saw on the media describing the Packers offense today was "unimaginative". This contrasted with clips of Bears receivers wide open and talk of young coaches with cutting edge offenses.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have put up 40 if some of those bounce passes were in the air and area of the receiver, a couple of those behind the receiver passes were on the numbers, no overthrows and less drops. Rodgers should take note of Mayfield and accept his poor at times performance as being on him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have put up 40 if some of those bounce passes were in the air and area of the receiver, a couple of those behind the receiver passes were on the numbers, no overthrows and less drops. Rodgers should take note of Mayfield and accept his poor at times performance as being on him.

Or we could see more wide open throws against receivers who are running down the field being covered by a linebacker. I'm sure Rodgers knowing the entire offense is based on him threading the needle constantly can be a little frustrating and wear a guy down year-after-year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM may be partially to blame but AR didn't play very well either and it didn't sound like he took any of the blame personally in his presser. So i'm not trying to hear his gripes when it comes to everyone else.

This is why MM constantly skates. If Rodgers plays REALLY well, then the Packers offense puts up a ton of points and then we're not allowed to blame MM because the offense just scored a lot of points. Wouldn't a game where the QB isn't as good, against a terrible opponent, be a great way to see how effective the offensive gameplan really is?

Plus, it's not helping that MM refuses to give Jones more of the running back workload. It's glaringly obvious he's the best running back on the team (not even close) and yet somehow the guy gets only 38% of the offensive snaps.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he's bang on the money which is why I will back him in his statement of being a highly successful NFL head coach.

You're backing MM as a great head coach because he can't coach his offensive players to be consistent? What responsibilities do you think the head coach should have? People were calling for Capers' head when he was forced into covering Julio Jones with Ladarius Gunter; you know, a situation in which the coach can honestly say his players just aren't good enough. MM on the other hand, has great offensive players but he gets a pass because they're not playing to their potential?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cue up all the same **** from 3 years ago. Old news. Feelings are the same now as then. They need to play better. Period. End of story. Rodgers included. Quit missing receivers, quit with off passes, quit dropping it, and most of all don't turn it over. Problems solved.

The coaches job is to get his players to play to their potential and/or put them into positions to succeed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches job is to get his players to play to their potential and/or put them into positions to succeed.
Yes it is and we’re 1 month in. Think the season is done? I know you hope it is, you hope for it every week like so many others just so you can be “right”. Lol

Blowing loads all over the Bears after shredding one of the worst defenses in the league that has been getting by on sheer craziness. That same offense that couldn’t do **** against a mediocre Packer defense for more than a a quarter and a half lol.

It truely is a week to week league, especially when it comes to fans saying who we should be more like. Lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're backing MM as a great head coach because he can't coach his offensive players to be consistent? What responsibilities do you think the head coach should have? People were calling for Capers' head when he was forced into covering Julio Jones with Ladarius Gunter; you know, a situation in which the coach can honestly say his players just aren't good enough. MM on the other hand, has great offensive players but he gets a pass because they're not playing to their potential?
Are you obtuse? Watching but not paying attention? Just needing MM to fail so you can feel good?

We have an offense who’s QB doesn’t play in the preseason. We have an offensive line that hasn’t the same 5 starters from one week to the next yet. That same QB that doesn’t play in the preseason hasn’t practiced all season since the regular season started until last Thursday and he’s lost much of his mobility. But everyone should be firing on all cylinders right? Lol

They always have and always will coach with the end goal in mind. Sorry that creates frustrations for everyone that thinks football and success are something different then they are.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers described himself as "old and cranky" during camp, and that was on display. His mentality is still, "this is a downfield passing offense", wanting 600 yards and 45 points, shaking his head at not getting that play when they "dared" to play single high safety. Assuming some responsibility for not executing in ball control mode would have been welcome. Even on a couple of deep shots he put the ball over the wrong shoulder.

We also had the earlier comment, to paraphrase, "there's the game plan, and then there's the plan on the field". If he wanted to go deep to Adams against single-high, in the past that has been accomplished with a nod, a wink and a line call. What's different not now?

McCarthy said Rodgers did a good job of "managing". Is that what it was, a case of the QB being told to stick to the ball control plan and manage it, with instructions to keep the ad libs to a minimum. Somebody would need to tell us that, though.

Old and cranky. I trust those Scotches will help.

Brings me back to Farve and nfccg vs giants and something that was mentioned to me.

Half time MM screaming at Brett for not following the game plan.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you obtuse? Watching but not paying attention? Just needing MM to fail so you can feel good?

We have an offense who’s QB doesn’t play in the preseason. We have an offensive line that hasn’t the same 5 starters from one week to the next yet. That same QB that doesn’t play in the preseason hasn’t practiced all season since the regular season started until last Thursday and he’s lost much of his mobility. But everyone should be firing on all cylinders right? Lol

They always have and always will coach with the end goal in mind. Sorry that creates frustrations for everyone that thinks football and success are something different then they are.

I think you're a little confused as to what the responsibilities of a head coach are. He only has himself to blame for not playing his QB in the preseason. Plus the oline play has been fine for the most part, with Bell even stepping in and performing well against Buffalo. I don't think the injury excuse is really valid in this case.

And if the head coach can't come up with a game-plan because his QB's knee is hurt and he lacks some of his usual mobility (looked fine against Buff) then he's a pretty crappy coach. :laugh:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There were open receivers all over, Rodgers just missed. He holds onto the ball too long and refuses to take the easy passes.

That doesn’t mean MM is perfect. He’s not. I’d prefer a different offense, and I hate how he doesn’t use Aaron Jones more.

Tbh, Rodgers is acting like a little *****. He’ll get over it. He needs to play better.
Agree. He needs to shut up and play better.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Aaron Rodgers should just call the plays

Like would ANYONE be mad?

Aside from people being mad, I was wondering if QBs calling the plays is common? Has this been a successful approach in the past for other teams? Maybe Aaron Rodgers does get to call lots of plays already?

I am not sure if I should consider Rodgers' demeanor in the press conference to be ridiculous and a bit juvenile or if I should view it as a valiant "hail Mary" to get the attention of his team's management to pay attention to problems that could derail the season. The previous responses seem somewhat split.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from people being mad, I was wondering if QBs calling the plays is common? Has this been a successful approach in the past for other teams? Maybe Aaron Rodgers does get to call lots of plays already?

I am not sure if I should consider Rodgers' demeanor in the press conference to be ridiculous and a bit juvenile or if I should view it as a valiant "hail Mary" to get the attention of his team's management to pay attention to problems that could derail the season. The previous responses seem somewhat split.
I mean realistically he should.. lol I’m sure he will audible to whatever the hell he pleases too if he picks a play that McCarthy gets pissed at what are they honestly gonna do!? Bench him? Lol Rodgers can do whatever he damn well pleases and he should!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then, I guess that's that. It's a sad shame that he has been saddled with a team full of of non-performers.

Or maybe he's imploring them to do better like a "Come on guys!! Let's get this thing going" kind of thing because they're slacking off at the moment. I mean, is it really that hard for some people to figure out?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're a little confused as to what the responsibilities of a head coach are. He only has himself to blame for not playing his QB in the preseason. Plus the oline play has been fine for the most part, with Bell even stepping in and performing well against Buffalo. I don't think the injury excuse is really valid in this case.

And if the head coach can't come up with a game-plan because his QB's knee is hurt and he lacks some of his usual mobility (looked fine against Buff) then he's a pretty crappy coach. :laugh:

No, you're the one who doesn't understand that coaches don't operate players on video game controllers.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or we could see more wide open throws against receivers who are running down the field being covered by a linebacker. I'm sure Rodgers knowing the entire offense is based on him threading the needle constantly can be a little frustrating and wear a guy down year-after-year.
I don’t disagree, I just would have been happier hearing Rodgers take responsibility for his mistakes. He missed a lot of open plays and it seems he threw his offense ( fellow players ) under the bus. He had quite a few really poor passes. He didn’t need to be really good, just good on some of those passes.

My guess is between the injury and lack of practice he just doesn’t have the timing quite down. I also saw too many dropped passes yesterday. Plenty of blame to go around, but as the face of the franchise, when you “Tebow” a few passes and have overthrows and throws behind the receivers, no matter what else happens, you need to just admit your part first.

Speculation here, but if he is pissed because his coach called a lot of quick, shorter passes to protect his injured knee, cool, be pissed, but it worked when he made decent passes, not so much when he looked like A career backup on some passes.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense is not imaginative at all. They run the same sets, same routes, and same personnel pkgs. let’s just all pray that Rodgers can carry us....like he’s been doing the last 5 yrs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Aaron Rodgers should just call the plays

Like would ANYONE be mad?

There's no way an offense would be more successful with the quarterback calling the plays.

Adams, Graham,& Jones are our big playmakers on offense, like Rodgers said, those guys should be getting way more attempts and more involved in the offense. And that “3 headed monster” needs to go. Jones needs like 20+ rushes a game with Williams in there to spell jones and Monty shouldn’t be getting carries. If jones doesn’t rush around 20 times a game, we’re doin something wrong.

Adams and Graham had a combined 20 targets vs. the Bills with Jones getting another 12 touches. It's impossible to get all of them the ball more often, especially with Rodgers throwing Allison's way 11 times as well.

With Jones missing most of camp as well as not being allowed to practice for the first two weeks of the season while being suspended and the game vs. the Bills decided early I'm absolutely fine with McCarthy limiting his work.

I watched Mariota yesterday, and the highlights of Trubisky, and the difference in the amount of separation is startling. And it's not like those teams have great WR groups, just great play designs.

You're losing any credibility when suggesting the Packers offense should strive for being like the Titans or Bears one.

But we’re talking 1 game here, the offense has been living on Rodgers arm and stale for years now.

The Packers made Rodgers the highest paid player in the league, of course they're mostly relying on him to make plays.

The keyword I saw on the media describing the Packers offense today was "unimaginative". This contrasted with clips of Bears receivers wide open and talk of young coaches with cutting edge offenses.

It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest the Bears have a more innovative offense than the Packers after they played a Buccaneerd team on pace to allow the most points in NFL history.

Or we could see more wide open throws against receivers who are running down the field being covered by a linebacker.

Do you understand that no matter the offensive scheme a linebacker ending up covering a receiver was a result of a mistake on defense???

Wouldn't a game where the QB isn't as good, against a terrible opponent, be a great way to see how effective the offensive gameplan really is?

The Bills have a pretty solid defense. So you're blaming McCarthy for not coming up with a game plan making up for Rodgers missing throws and receivers dropping balls while the run blocking was average at best??? That's insane.

MM on the other hand, has great offensive players but he gets a pass because they're not playing to their potential?

Once again, aside of Rodgers and Bakhtiari the Packers don't have any great players on offense.

I think you're a little confused as to what the responsibilities of a head coach are. He only has himself to blame for not playing his QB in the preseason.

I'm absolutely fine with McCarthy not playing Rodgers during the preseason. While that might result in him being rusty early during the season there's no reason to risk him getting injured in meaningless games.

It's lidicrous to suggest that it's pretty easy to game plan around Rodgers being injured.

The offense is not imaginative at all. They run the same sets, same routes, and same personnel pkgs.

The Rams (81.4%) used more 11 personnel than any other team in the league (59.3% average) last season yet featured the highest scoring offense in the NFL. It's all about execution.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were open receivers all over, Rodgers just missed. He holds onto the ball too long and refuses to take the easy passes.

That doesn’t mean MM is perfect. He’s not. I’d prefer a different offense, and I hate how he doesn’t use Aaron Jones more.

Tbh, Rodgers is acting like a little *****. He’ll get over it. He needs to play better.

Careful Rodgers is the Godhead of a religious cult, he cannot be faulted for anything.

If left completely to his own devices he'd run this offense like he was playing 500. No running plays and nothing but deep routes, he'd also get sacked on half of his dropbacks. He's a brilliantly talented quarterback but he doesn't lack for hubris and he has a habit of checking out of run plays even when the run game is the only part of the offense that's working. See the first half of the game against Washington. He's competitive, he wants the ball and he's rarely willing to just lean on the run game even when its working and his passing is off.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a little bit of everything here as to why the offense isn't quite where we all expected it. Players are definitely under performing, making mistakes and not executing properly. But, I also think the play calling is a little bit boring, considering I'm watching a lot of other WRs in the league run wild in wide open prairies, and I'm seeing teams use 2 QBs.. utilize 2 RBs at the same time, etc, etc. Also, why is Aaron Jones not seeing so many more carries?

In the end I think we are not very far from this offense clicking, hopefully players execute their jobs, and MM maybe adapts a little.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean realistically he should.. lol I’m sure he will audible to whatever the hell he pleases too if he picks a play that McCarthy gets pissed at what are they honestly gonna do!? Bench him? Lol Rodgers can do whatever he damn well pleases and he should!
To be honest, I am not clear on what an audible consists of. They can't call two plays in the huddle because one play almost takes too long to call. So when he audibles; it is not completely changing the play. From run to pass or vice versa; even then most players (especially linemen) probably still have the same responsibilities as b4 the audible. You can't expect everyone to hear the new call. So even when he audibles; the basic play structure is probably the same. But I would be interested if someone knew exactly what does happen.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Execution isn't perfect. It hardly ever is. To remedy this, you design high percentage plays which take advantage of a defense and schemes guys open. We are hardly seeing this, have hardly ever seen it. He's getting older,I'm sure that he's tired of things being so difficult for this offense and takes note of the superior offense design around the league. it's hilarious that everyone is pointing fingers at one of the most consistently great QBs of all time as the reason as to why it is not working, not the head coach whose offense is complete garbage without him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you understand that no matter the offensive scheme a linebacker ending up covering a receiver was a result of a mistake on defense???
I don't think this is necessarily true. That is the point of play calling. To get the mismatches. And the beneficiary is often the primary target.

Members online

Latest posts