Mike Vandermause on TT !!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So TT should have done the same when Walker first approached him in quiet....before TT drove him to seek the media spotlight....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
So TT should have done the same when Walker first approached him in quiet....before TT drove him to seek the media spotlight....

Oops, thought you understood the difference.

Where was Walker at in his career?
Where was Driver at in his career?

After that, read the content I posted about the money Walker got before he donned a NFL uniform, etc.

Reaction score
net is a former sport writer who has a very solid football mind.

I do not mean to be rude, but the fact that he suggested franchising Green raises red flags about that statement.

If any of his conjecture was true, even the slightest bit, then you'd think any one of the other writers who regularly cover the Packers would have hinted as such.

However that is not the case.

Once again, I may have overreacted, but net I do disagree with your viewpoint on this one.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
True that, I wanna keep Green too, but I don't think he's worth the Franchise tender. I really don't see many teams knocking on the door to pick up a 30 yr old RB these days.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I do not mean to be rude, but the fact that he suggested franchising Green raises red flags about that statement.

If any of his conjecture was true, even the slightest bit, then you'd think any one of the other writers who regularly cover the Packers would have hinted as such.

Once again, I may have overreacted, but net I do disagree with your viewpoint on this one.

1. I don't cover the Packers now. In the 1980's I had locker room access. Forrest Gregg one time told me to take a step back before I shoved my microphone into his tonsils. That was more than 20 years ago.
2. I suggested franchising as a way to keep Green on board. It was a SUGGESTION MADE BY A FAN, just like the SUGGESTIONs YOU MAKE. It is designed for discussion, just like the ideas you have.
To me, it makes a good deal of sense. It pays Green in the upper echelon of players, but doesn't commit them to a long-term deal if it doesn't work out. Who would you like to franchise? Junius Coston?

3. I started the discussion on Ted Thompson from the viewpoint of a person who wonders about some of Ted's actions, rather than simply accepting everything done in the Packers front office as a new chapter of the Bible.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that, I wanna keep Green too, but I don't think he's worth the Franchise tender. I really don't see many teams knocking on the door to pick up a 30 yr old RB these days.

Really? How about Oakland? Cleveland? The Giants just lost Tiki Barber. Ahman would make a nice fill-in.

There's three off the top.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doesnt NYG have that monster in the backfield Jacobs? He's probably not an every down back, but I doubt they'd pick up green to mix it up with Jacobs.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

1. I don't cover the Packers now. In the 1980's I had locker room access. Forrest Gregg one time told me to take a step back before I shoved my microphone into his tonsils. That was more than 20 years ago.
2. I suggested franchising as a way to keep Green on board. It was a SUGGESTION MADE BY A FAN, just like the SUGGESTIONs YOU MAKE. It is designed for discussion, just like the ideas you have.
To me, it makes a good deal of sense. It pays Green in the upper echelon of players, but doesn't commit them to a long-term deal if it doesn't work out. Who would you like to franchise? Junius Coston?

3. I started the discussion on Ted Thompson from the viewpoint of a person who wonders about some of Ted's actions, rather than simply accepting everything done in the Packers front office as a new chapter of the Bible.

Ahman Green is a has-been who should be sent on his way. That is if Ted Thompson has the NFC Championship and maybe a Super Bowl in his ambitions.

If you were a sportswriter at one time it doesn't mean you know any more than anyone else.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah Ahman sucks, he can shove his 1,000 yards this year(limited playing time,injuries,committee) up his butt, right?

this forum is getting ridiculous.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey net, Ted dished out the money for Kampan, Pickett, Hawk (if he was cheap, he'd have traded down to save money), signed Wells to an extension, and dished out the big bucks to Manuel.

If he was cheap, he'd have done none of that. He also signed Bubba Franks to a 5 year contract. Signed Driver to an extension, dished out almost 3.5 million per year to Sherman..... not the signs of a cheap man!

You post conjecture, I'll retort with conjecture: rumours say he also made an offer to Vinitari to become the highest paid kicker in the history of the NFL...... the work of a cheap man?

As for Ted wanting Rodgers to be the man: Ted has 3 years left on his deal. McCarthy has 2 years left. Historically, coaches haven't done great their first year. So if Ted does bad, McCarthy will post bad records, and will be fired. Ted will have one season to prove his worth, or he will get the boot too.

Brett coming back buys Ted, at the very least, time. He has time to make this team better so Rodgers can have it easier when he takes over.

Faver can still do more with average talent than most QBs in the leauge. Having Favre back makes Ted look even more good than he is doing (hypothetically). He gets more time to build a contender post Favre, and it bodes well for Ted.

Rodgers would have done worse than Brett the past season, if he started. If Rodgers looses confidence, there is a good chance he struggles to get it back. Before we know it, we are looking for another QB. TT is back to square one, and there is a huge threat to his job that he find a QB to come on quickly so Ted can save his job. Either way, having Favre poses well for Ted, and what is well for Ted increases his chances of staying on as GM. Why would he rationally want to jepordize that?

You make some points...but the one you missed annoys me the most:
Loose is a term describing something that is not bonded to something.
Lose is the spelling of a word describing having something "lost".

That said, I was describing his ventures out in the 'free agent' market outside of the team. The term 'tightwad Ted' came out of Seattle, where he vigorously shunned free agents. Apparently Ted is changing his ways! Hooray! Part of his signings are the result of realizing(my conjecture) that you can't leave veterans go and replace them with crap, like he did his first season here.

I wondered why he would let Javon Walker go, when he could have negotiated a new deal, then wandered around looking for suitable help this year at wide out. Shame on me!

And, God forbid, that I would be granted the opportunity to specualte on a Packer message board. Shame on me!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah we definately should have gave javon the money...He wasnt askin for much...He just wanted to get paid what he was worth....He left because TT tried to give it to him up the %^&....

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

It is cool to disagree with him and his opinions, but to dismiss them without consideration is ignorant.

net and I have disagreed about many things through the years, but I feel quite confident in saying that we both respect the other enough to always carefully consider what the other has to say.

I think others would be wise to at least consider his opinions before writing them off as a "joke."

I disagree with his opinion on that post. When I read something that has no ground, I dismiss it. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. I'd rather be ignorant than someone who poses opinion off as fact. I'm glad to have read it, I just don't trust much more than 60% of the content. For instance, the Javon Walker comment is completely false and I'm a HUGE Javon Walker fan, but even I know he forced his way out of GB.

I like the different opinion he offered up there, I just don't put much stock into it. Again, if that makes me ignorant, so be it.

Seems like you are posing the above comment without fact. I want you to go back to my original post and show me where I described this as

FACT.

It was posed third-hand. I thought it would be interesting to hear something from someone who actually knew some of the indivduals involved rather than posturing as some kind of "Lord of the Board" as others are want to do.

Discussion is fine. But why must you make it personal?

One last point on Green: washed up and 1000 yards don't seem to match.
So it's smarter to sign him to a two year deal than one(tag)? If he is washed, you are in for only one year.

Reaction score
Obviously net I should have been more careful in choosing my words. It's been a long day.

But I do find some of what you have brought up very interesting.

net, you say that TT could have righted the ship with Walker. From reading articles, I got the perception that Walker wanted out regardless, because he was hurt most by Brett Favre going "off" on him the way he did.

If said scenario is true, then wasn't TT doomed from the start, and there was no happy ending in this situation?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Really? How about Oakland? Cleveland? The Giants just lost Tiki Barber. Ahman would make a nice fill-in.

There's three off the top.

Giants, Brandon Jacobs ... young
Browns, Reuben Droughns ... signed big contract
Raiders, LaMont Jordan ... signed big contract

Can't see any of them teams reaching out to outbid the Packers for Ahman Green.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

It is cool to disagree with him and his opinions, but to dismiss them without consideration is ignorant.

net and I have disagreed about many things through the years, but I feel quite confident in saying that we both respect the other enough to always carefully consider what the other has to say.

I think others would be wise to at least consider his opinions before writing them off as a "joke."

I disagree with his opinion on that post. When I read something that has no ground, I dismiss it. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. I'd rather be ignorant than someone who poses opinion off as fact. I'm glad to have read it, I just don't trust much more than 60% of the content. For instance, the Javon Walker comment is completely false and I'm a HUGE Javon Walker fan, but even I know he forced his way out of GB.

I like the different opinion he offered up there, I just don't put much stock into it. Again, if that makes me ignorant, so be it.

Seems like you are posing the above comment without fact. I want you to go back to my original post and show me where I described this as

FACT.

It was posed third-hand. I thought it would be interesting to hear something from someone who actually knew some of the indivduals involved rather than posturing as some kind of "Lord of the Board" as others are want to do.

Discussion is fine. But why must you make it personal?

One last point on Green: washed up and 1000 yards don't seem to match.
So it's smarter to sign him to a two year deal than one(tag)? If he is washed, you are in for only one year.

"former sport writer" ... can't imagine why ... ** ahem ^^^ ahem **

Anyhooters, you're wrong. Point blank WRONG. It's your responsibility to pay attention an understand the posts before considering to blast someone, you failed.

One last point on Green: I didn't say he was washed up, nor did I imply such a notion. I've said he has atleast another year or two in him. I think a two year incentive deal would be a good contract for Ahman Green.

Being a former writer yourself, I assume you are aware of the franchise tenders for 2007.

Position 2007 Franchise tender
QB $12.6M
RB $6.9M
WR $7.6M
TE $4.3M
OL $9.5M
DE $8.3M
DT $6.7M
LB $7.2M
CB $7.7M
S $4.4M
K/P $2M

I don't think Green is worth nearly $7 million for a year. I'd go with $3mil plus attainable incentives. (ie, 750,000 for hitting 1,000 yards, things of that nature)

I don't think thats saying Green is washed up, I think its saying he has value to the team, but I jus wouldn't pay him top 5 rb money.

NFL.com said:
one-year deal at the average salary of either the top five (for franchise) or top 10 (for transition) paid players at their position.

Peace out, can't wait to read some of your writings. They offer a different flavor and different is good! :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to the original post, I think it's fine that Thompson is a low-key type of guy. It's not bad for a GM to be like that, if that's his personality.

I don't trust net's inside knowledge of the Packer organization because it may be biased. I would expect employees to become divided after such a bitter split within the organization, and this is one of the reasons I think Harlan made a mistake by demoting Sherman, rather than firing him outright, when he brought in Thompson.

Vandermause and most other journalists who cover the Packers seem to have a positive view of Thompson, or at least a "wait-and-see" attitude. It seems to me that if Thompson was as awful as some people think he is, he would be getting a lot more flak in the press. I remain cautiously optimistic about Thompson.

As for Favre, from what I heard about last year, Thompson and McCarthy actively tried to influence him to come back. This year it was different. They seemed confident that the performance of the team spoke for itself. And judging by Favre's decision, apparently they were right.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

After that, read the content I posted about the money Walker got before he donned a NFL uniform, etc.

Walker didn't want to renogotiate until after year 3 of a what...5 year contract..?? That doesn't seem extreme to me, especially since he was coming off of a pro bowl year...

I believe Walker was pissed because Ferguson was making quite a bit more money than he was at the time, and as the story goes, he approached TTT (Tightwad Ted Thompson) about renogotiating his contract and was rebuffed....this is before he went to the press and hired Rosenhaus..etc...

It's well known, in certain circles, that TT could have avoided this whole scenario if he would have dealt with JW in an upright manner...but he didn't, and it got out of hand...

Driver was rewarded...but imo...after having to wait much too long...

If he would have gotten hurt, he would have been screwed...

These are the things that a good GM is supposed to take care of, (You keep your good players and playmakers happy and on the team), but I see no evidence of this in TT....

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting how my saying:

"net is a former sport writer who has a very solid football mind.

It is cool to disagree with him and his opinions, but to dismiss them without consideration is ignorant."

Was heard loud and clear, yet the following was ignored:

"net and I have disagreed about many things through the years, but I feel quite confident in saying that we both respect the other enough to always carefully consider what the other has to say.

I was not devaluing Zero or aadp's opinions, rather offering mine that net is someone who has been around a long time and knows football. As such he is someone whose words are worth considering.

We have adamently disgreed about plenty of things, but he has earned the right to be respected and considered. IMO

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
P@ck66 said:

Walker didn't want to renogotiate until after year 3 of a what...5 year contract..?? That doesn't seem extreme to me, especially since he was coming off of a pro bowl year...

I believe Walker was pissed because Ferguson was making quite a bit more money than he was at the time, and as the story goes, he approached TTT (Tightwad Ted Thompson) about renogotiating his contract and was rebuffed....this is before he went to the press and hired Rosenhaus..etc...

It's well known, in certain circles, that TT could have avoided this whole scenario if he would have dealt with JW in an upright manner...but he didn't, and it got out of hand...

Driver was rewarded...but imo...after having to wait much too long...

If he would have gotten hurt, he would have been screwed...

These are the things that a good GM is supposed to take care of, (You keep your good players and playmakers happy and on the team), but I see no evidence of this in TT....

It's not well known, its your opinion, not fact. Wait, I'll back off there. What circles and where's the link to prove such statement?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Of course, that's always your response...it was posted in an article on this very forum...Zero..

I suppose I'll have to dig it up now...

I'll get back to you on it...sigh...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Of course, that's always your response...it was posted in an article on this very forum...Zero..

I suppose I'll have to dig it up now...

I'll get back to you on it...sigh...

Don't waste your time, man. If you say it exists, I'll trust you. Call me whatever you may, but I had helluva interest in the Javon Walker squabble and I'm confident it was him that got himself out of GB. Why? As I've said countless times. He was given MILLIONS of dollars out of good faith he was a good player when drafted and should have put said faith into the organization would take care of him when the time was right.

I think you're looking at it AFTER the fact instead of remembering the occurances as they happened.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suggested franchising as a way to keep Green on board. It was a SUGGESTION MADE BY A FAN, just like the SUGGESTIONs YOU MAKE. It is designed for discussion, just like the ideas you have.

We don't have to franchise anyone nor do I think we should. Green Bay currently has around 30 million in cap. Paying him 7 to 8 mil would be a great deal of money. That's a great deal of money for any RB, let alone a 30 year old aging back who isn't what he was 2 or 3 years ago. Green is a good player but good players don't get the franchise tag. Great players do. Green is not amoung the upper echelon RB's in the NFL any longer. He also won’t get 8 millon in free agency. Teams will look at him but he’s not signing a contract worth as much say a Edgerin James.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you won't believe this, but Ted didn't care if Favre showed up or not. In fact, he wanted Rodgers to play so he could see what he had. He wanted an all-new, young team. But he basically was hoping(contrary to public reports and the media) Favre would retire. So his demeanor at the press conference the other day isn't surprising. McCarthy, to his credit, realized that Rodgers wasn't ready and thanked his lucky stars Favre came back. Rodgers may never be ready. Think Jay Cutler.

I respect you thoughts and your time to make this post but I have one question..

I know you have inside info where this is suppose to be true about Ted and Brett..

Well I recall you posting this not to long ago ( or something similar) so I went and asked someone I know that has shown me he has very good inside info as well..In fact I posted things that this person has told me b4 it hit the media..might recall me saying Rodgers broke his foot b4 it was public, or that rb from Bears practice squad b4 it was public..

Anyways I asked this guy about the whole Ted and Bates calling Brett thing you posted a while ago..And he basically laughed in my face...

Now here is the problem, you have inside info, as does my friend..Whom do we believe?

the way you or your insider presents Ted is something different then what I get from the guy I know.

Please dont think I am trying to bash you over this, just found it curious is all...

Members online

Latest posts