Mike Vandermause on TT !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted February 3, 2007

Mike Vandermause column: Steady Thompson remains focused

By Mike Vandermause

Make no mistake, Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson was overjoyed Friday by the news of Brett Favre's return for the 2007 season.

But you never would have guessed it from his demeanor.

Thompson won't get any better news the rest of the offseason. He may as well have won the lottery. Yet he remained as unflappable as ever.

With Favre in the lineup, the up-and-coming Packers have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Without the future Hall of Fame quarterback, Thompson's rebuilding program in Green Bay would have taken a major hit.

When Favre told him he was coming back for a 16th season in Green Bay, Thompson didn't shout with glee, or thank Favre profusely, or raise his fist in triumph.

Instead, Thompson matter-of-factly told Favre: "That's sounds good to me."

Good? Is that the best Thompson could offer?

This is great news for not only Packers fans, but for anyone who loves pro football. Favre remains one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL, so a chance to watch him play at least one more season is reason to celebrate.

"It's good to have Brett coming back," Thompson reiterated.

One gets the impression if Thompson were in the middle of a fire, he calmly would collect his important belongings and stroll out of the building.

Try as they might, media members couldn't get Thompson to show much excitement, even when he was given the chance to toot his own horn.

Surely, Favre's decision was a glowing endorsement of the regime of Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy.

"You'd have to ask him if that means anything," Thompson said. "There are less uncertainties this year going forward than there were last year."

Surely, Thompson was on the phone with Favre frequently over the past month trying to convince him to return.

"I purposely didn't call him or bother him during this time," Thompson said.

"I think Mike had a conversation or two with him over the last week, but this was his call."

OK, so Thompson comes off as a little low key. Now that Favre's services have been secured for another season and there is one less position to worry about, Thompson must feel a great sense of relief.

"At some point in the future, Brett Favre is not going to be the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, and we're not going to fold our tents," Thompson said. "We're still going to line up and play."

Well, at the very least, the presence of Favre surely will give Thompson a sense of urgency in filling some key holes on the roster.

"Not really," Thompson said. "We feel like if we're doing things to help the team get better, whoever the quarterback is, whether it's Brett or whomever it might be, we're going to try to get better."

In the topsy-turvy NFL, Thompson never will get too high or too low. Nothing will distract him from his goal of building a championship contender.

The Packers are a lot closer to that possibility with Favre still on the team. You would just never know it by listening to Thompson.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this article actually exist or am I still drunk?

TT can do nothing right. Poor bastard. I hate him.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this article actually exist or am I still drunk?

TT can do nothing right. Poor bastard. I hate him.

Don't worry trom,

you will love TT again in the morning lol and yes, the piece does exist !!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This makes it sound like TT's not going to let Favre interfere with his "master plan" at any cost...whatever that is...

It makey you wonder if this guy won't sign any offensive weapons for Favre out of sheer stubborness...?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am one of the charter posters at the "fire Ted Thompson" websites, so my feelings about ROTTT (Reign of Ted Thompson Terror)are fairly clear.

Ted has done some good things. But he also has been lucky, and by lucky I mean that Brett Favre ignored Ted's cold shoulder and came back to play.
Stop to think what last season would have been with Aaron Rodgers at QB.
2-14? Among the good things are rebuilding the defense. He still needs help in the scondary, and another pass rusher, but overall, they aren't in bad shape there. They need some offensive weapons(not Randy Moss or Koren Robinson) and a kick returner.

My problem with Ted comes to me from a person who does have some inside knowledge of things at 1265 Lombardi. I haven't emailed this person in months, but at the time of the Sherman/McCarthy switchover, I was in contact fairly often.

The pro-Sherman crowd on the team(and they included some of the highest management) felt Ted's attitude coming in stunk. He basically felt most of the team stunk and he wanted to rip it to the ground and build "his team". I guess you don't blame a GM for that, but he proceeded to insult some of the current players, and pulled the pursestrings as tight as can be.
We wouldn't be having this conversation about "playmakers" if Javon Walker had stayed around. That was a direct Ted Thompson casualty, as an example.

Some of you won't believe this, but Ted didn't care if Favre showed up or not. In fact, he wanted Rodgers to play so he could see what he had. He wanted an all-new, young team. But he basically was hoping(contrary to public reports and the media) Favre would retire. So his demeanor at the press conference the other day isn't surprising. McCarthy, to his credit, realized that Rodgers wasn't ready and thanked his lucky stars Favre came back. Rodgers may never be ready. Think Jay Cutler.

Ted wants to build through the draft, but his first draft is so-so. His second draft could be a good one if players aren't hurt. This year's draft will be key. If he stinks again, the forward progress will be halted.

Ted is first and foremost, I'm told, a tightwad and had to be cajoled to go out and spend free agent money. Keep in mind he stayed well under this year's cap and will likely do that again. He will keep signing cheap players in the hope they develop. But someone got to him to sign Woodson. He knew he needed help with Pickett and spent there, but was going to shop the junk pile for help at corner. Look where they would be if Woodson hadn't been signed.

He also is not the friendliest guy to have around. Not that you have to be, but to act like a semi-jerk when your Hall of Fame QB decides to return should give you an inkling this guy is no winner in the public relations department. Ron Wolf could be a *****, I'm told, but he was always personable when he had to be, and kept lines of communication open.
Ted sees it as his domain, and the rest of us can just shut up. Big difference.

So this off-season could be key in a number of areas:

1)A. Green. The smartest thing to do is franchise him. Ted will let him float in free agency to 'set his price'. If Green isn't signed by free agent day, he might be gone. Green as a franchisee gets paid, Ted gets him one year to see if he earns it.

2)Jenkins. Keep an eye on the tender Ted puts on this guy. He's proven his worth to two coaching staffs. Ted might try the low-ball crap again and it might backfire. There's lots of teams who could use him.

3)Extending McCarthy. He's only signed for three years, which puts him in the Sherman "last year of a contract" status in 2008. The smart thing is to offer him two years this year, but the tightwad might just hold out again.

Lots more...but later.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lmao ^^ this dude is hilarious!!

We wouldn't be having this conversation about "playmakers" if Javon Walker had stayed around. That was a direct Ted Thompson casualty, as an example.

that was one of the best jokes in the post

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know Zero...

I think net's pretty close to the mark...actually!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao ^^ this dude is hilarious!!

that was one of the best jokes in the post

At least I get my "jokes" from people who walk around 1265 Lombardi.
I could list an example or two of places I think you get your jokes.

Reaction score
1)A. Green. The smartest thing to do is franchise him. Ted will let him float in free agency to 'set his price'. If Green isn't signed by free agent day, he might be gone. Green as a franchisee gets paid, Ted gets him one year to see if he earns it.

2)Jenkins. Keep an eye on the tender Ted puts on this guy. He's proven his worth to two coaching staffs. Ted might try the low-ball crap again and it might backfire. There's lots of teams who could use him.

3)Extending McCarthy. He's only signed for three years, which puts him in the Sherman "last year of a contract" status in 2008. The smart thing is to offer him two years this year, but the tightwad might just hold out again.

This is the most riddiculous post I have seen here, and that is saying something!

1) Franchise Green? You can't be serious... :| Green is 30, had an OK season where he still missed games, and you want him to get paid about 8-10 million per year? Because that is what he will get if franchised. Green is not a franchise back any longer, and to pay him 8-10 million when we can use that money on someone like M. Turner of the Chargers who is younger, fresher, and has displayed more big play potential than Green.

2) Pure conjecture, I'd much rather trust stuff from Joe Arrigo who has at least called some things before they happened.

3) Lovie Smith was also working on the last year of his deal. His team sure stunk it up, didn't they?

Reaction score
Hey net, Ted dished out the money for Kampan, Pickett, Hawk (if he was cheap, he'd have traded down to save money), signed Wells to an extension, and dished out the big bucks to Manuel.

If he was cheap, he'd have done none of that. He also signed Bubba Franks to a 5 year contract. Signed Driver to an extension, dished out almost 3.5 million per year to Sherman..... not the signs of a cheap man!

You post conjecture, I'll retort with conjecture: rumours say he also made an offer to Vinitari to become the highest paid kicker in the history of the NFL...... the work of a cheap man?

As for Ted wanting Rodgers to be the man: Ted has 3 years left on his deal. McCarthy has 2 years left. Historically, coaches haven't done great their first year. So if Ted does bad, McCarthy will post bad records, and will be fired. Ted will have one season to prove his worth, or he will get the boot too.

Brett coming back buys Ted, at the very least, time. He has time to make this team better so Rodgers can have it easier when he takes over.

Faver can still do more with average talent than most QBs in the leauge. Having Favre back makes Ted look even more good than he is doing (hypothetically). He gets more time to build a contender post Favre, and it bodes well for Ted.

Rodgers would have done worse than Brett the past season, if he started. If Rodgers looses confidence, there is a good chance he struggles to get it back. Before we know it, we are looking for another QB. TT is back to square one, and there is a huge threat to his job that he find a QB to come on quickly so Ted can save his job. Either way, having Favre poses well for Ted, and what is well for Ted increases his chances of staying on as GM. Why would he rationally want to jepordize that?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net's post is within the margin of error on your interpretation of events. I would have added a couple items but he promised more and it was a long post. Dumping Wahle, Sharper, Diggs, Roman, Thomas, Thomas and getting nothing in return is a large flaw in his methodology. Morely was worth a 7th why not the others?

A couple of things I would disagree on is:

A) #1 and #2 pick was spent on Walker and the pick used on Kampmann was received. In 4 years this #1 pick only started 18 games(4.5/yr) and averaged less than 40 receptions a year and 611 yards a season (rookie Jennings 45 catches 632 yards 11 starts). If Walker was a playmaker he would have been starting for the Packers.

B) Ahman Green is the best Free Agent RB on the market this offseason. He is not worth a franchise tag. His best deal is with the Packers but it will not be that expensive.

C) With Bob Harlan on his way out and Jones having health problems a power vacuum existed that permitted Thompson to throw some weight around. To whom does he answer?

To be positive he is very good at spotting marginal roster guys and getting them on the cheap (Gado, Lee, R Martin, etc.).

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net is a former sport writer who has a very solid football mind.

It is cool to disagree with him and his opinions, but to dismiss them without consideration is ignorant.

net and I have disagreed about many things through the years, but I feel quite confident in saying that we both respect the other enough to always carefully consider what the other has to say.

I think others would be wise to at least consider his opinions before writing them off as a "joke."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green is not worth the franchise tag. I'm sorry but that's just the case. Yes he's coming off a 1,000 yard season but he's going to be 30 years old and the drop off in production of a RB when he turns 30 is really amazing. The Packers best bet is to sign him to a 2 year deal with incentives and maybe a million up front. Franchising him would cost us like previously stated around 8 million and that's just to much to give up.

Green wants to be back in Green Bay as well so getting a 2 year deal worth incentives might not be that hard. I would be very shock to see Green get a lot of money on the open market this season.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

It is cool to disagree with him and his opinions, but to dismiss them without consideration is ignorant.

net and I have disagreed about many things through the years, but I feel quite confident in saying that we both respect the other enough to always carefully consider what the other has to say.

I think others would be wise to at least consider his opinions before writing them off as a "joke."

I disagree with his opinion on that post. When I read something that has no ground, I dismiss it. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. I'd rather be ignorant than someone who poses opinion off as fact. I'm glad to have read it, I just don't trust much more than 60% of the content. For instance, the Javon Walker comment is completely false and I'm a HUGE Javon Walker fan, but even I know he forced his way out of GB.

I like the different opinion he offered up there, I just don't put much stock into it. Again, if that makes me ignorant, so be it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Since when does being a writer mean you can't be a complete moron?

2 words: Jay Mariotti

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a moron for having a different opinion. I just don't like how his opinion was passed off as fact. Atleast thats how I perceived some of his comments. I could be wrong.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bruce said:

I disagree with his opinion on that post. When I read something that has no ground, I dismiss it. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. I'd rather be ignorant than someone who poses opinion off as fact. I'm glad to have read it, I just don't trust much more than 60% of the content. For instance, the Javon Walker comment is completely false and I'm a HUGE Javon Walker fan, but even I know he forced his way out of GB.

I like the different opinion he offered up there, I just don't put much stock into it. Again, if that makes me ignorant, so be it.

Zero,

As far as you know, Net's statement has "no ground" as you put it....but how far do you know?

Most posters on here are way more ignorant than sport's writers because they don't have the same access to information or the same contacts...yet they like to pass themselves off like they do and criticize those said sport's writers.....

For instance, I've heard that TT met with JW before all of that business started and said that "he would not give him a penny more".....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah you also heard TT hates Brett and didn't contact him last offseason which was very much not true.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah you also heard TT hates Brett and didn't contact him last offseason which was very much not true.

That's a lie....

Please cease and desist from your vicious rumor mongering and slandering of my good name...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero,

As far as you know, Net's statement has "no ground" as you put it....but how far do you know?

Most posters on here are way more ignorant than sport's writers because they don't have the same access to information or the same contacts...yet they like to pass themselves off like they do and criticize those said sport's writers.....

For instance, I've heard that TT met with JW before all of that business started and said that "he would not give him a penny more".....

I am not behind closed doors, nor do I intend to make others believe as such. I use what I know from the facts presented to me.
Javon was still in his rookie contract. He had two years remaining.
He had ONE solid year and demanded a pay increase.
His newly aquired agent was known for having his players threaten to holdout.
Javon should have waited til one year left as that is the Packers 'way' of doing things and trusted the team to take care of him. After that same team gave him MILLIONS before he even donned a NFL jersey. They put faith in him with that contract, the least he could do was put some in the team.
Brett said Javon is the only receiver he never had to aim for, just throw it in his direction an you knew he'd come down with it.

Javon in person is a nice guy. I've seen him and he's great. Could be a 'public image' he's throwing out there, but I really believe Javon is a good guy but has not so positive influencing people around him.

As much of a fan of Javon as I am, the facts point to Javon being the direct reason he's not here in Green Bay anylonger. If Ted would have gave in to those demands (this is my opinion) it would have created a domino effect for players wanting to re-do their contract two or more years before its up.

But hell, look what good it got us, Al Harris anyone?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yet TT renogotiated Driver's contract without the walls caving in....

Members online

Latest posts