Mike Daniels

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI game officials are not allowed to watch any other games live or recorded. I don't think Clete Blakeman's crew even knew there were stupid fights resulting in ejections and suspensions on Sunday. However, officials are trained to deal with division rivalry scuffles early in the game before they get out of control.

If the NFL did not have a rule to give all 17 officiating crews a MNF game, I would say some of them should only work on Sundays. This penalty is one reason for that. Ticky tack call and not called right.
Daniels very clearly and intentionally head butted the lion's lineman. that will get called every time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels very clearly and intentionally head butted the lion's lineman. that will get called every time.
The only confusion in that play was the horrible game that Gruden et al.. called. It was a very obvious head butt, but Gruden true to form saw nothing.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only confusion in that play was the horrible game that Gruden et al.. called. It was a very obvious head butt, but Gruden true to form saw nothing.
Keep in mind that this is the same John Gruden that saw nothing wrong with Warren Sapp's hit on Chad Clifton or Danny Tevathon's hit on Davante Adams.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasn't insignificant, it was very important. We had stopped them and forced a punt. It was stupid and it cost us and it set the tone. It was bad enough to not get points after a decent drive by the offense, but to then follow it up with that when had gotten exactly what you needed out of the defense after the missed FG? He needs to just shut his mouth and go to work. He's better than that.

I think it was a big letdown for the defense. Several time the defense makes impressive stops on first and second downs only to give up a big third down play.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW Jon Gruden said Mike Daniels did nothing to warrant a 15-yard penalty. Roughing the passer? What did Clete Blakeman see that we didn't? He never even touched Matt Stafford!
What game were you watching? The official called unnecessary roughness, NOT roughing the passer. Watch and listen to the game and not the talking heads.
FYI game officials are not allowed to watch any other games live or recorded.
You, of course, have a cite for this?

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obvious penalty..and a dumb one at that most definitely but I will say this about Mike Daniels,Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry..thank God this defense has them. As bad as the defense as a whole has been, the heart and soul of the D is these 3 guys. Effort personified and carrying out their assignments..although not getting to the QB as much as this team needs it they are giving maximum effort and I don’t know if you can say that for everyone on the Packers right now..just my opinion

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The difference is Aaron Rodgers did not have the ball. Why would it not be a penalty if the ball was already in the air or on the ground?
Newton gets hit all the time after throwing the ball outside the pocket. Only players like Brady get calls for those plays.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see Daniel's is All bark, no bite.
He's loud and talks a lot of game. looked like he was going to play solid after what we saw last year. Now he's just another body out there

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newton gets hit all the time after throwing the ball outside the pocket. Only players like Brady get calls for those plays.
i'm over the play, but I think it's the driving into the ground that is the problem and as far as I could tell, those rules are still supposed to extend beyond the pocket. but apparently they don't. but I think they will going foreward. If you happened to watch any Carolina and Atlanta you saw a how it should be done when Peppers chased Ryan out of the pocket. He threw the ball, Peppers continued his momentum. He didn't have to put the brakes on to avoid contact. he got his contact, but instead of wrapping him up and driving a guy into the ground because he knew he wasn't tackling a ball carrier, just as Barr did, he just made the contact he's allowed and put his arms out. Like most other people do in that same situation.

I have no problem with allowing contact out there. I'm not always a fan of the QB protections because they can take such advantage of it, like Flacco last week. IMO if you want to use the slide, you should have to initiate it at least 3-4 yards before any defender gets within that radius or the protection is gone. But I also think picking up a QB and driving him into the ground when you know he's not a ball carrier just taking a shot to take a shot. I can see the case for one not being able to avoid contact, but what Barr specifically did afterwards, was all a conscious decision to drive a non ball carrying player into the ground. I think plays like that are going to be looked at this offseason. But then I thought that was already written in the rules, so what do I know?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's getting a bit ridiculous in here.
Mike Daniels is a top player and has a lot of offer to the team. A single stupid mistake won't change the fact. Post game interviews indicate he realized his error and I trust in him to not repeat it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's getting a bit ridiculous in here.
Mike Daniels is a top player and has a lot of offer to the team. A single stupid mistake won't change the fact. Post game interviews indicate he realized his error and I trust in him to not repeat it.
i hope he doesn't. He's smarter than that, better than that, and I expect a lot more out of him than that. He needs to be a leader out of this mess we're in, not be a cause of the mess. But I remember him doing something like that last year didn't he? I can hardly remember last week anymore, so maybe I'm thinking too far back and it was Giuon or someone?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope he doesn't. He's smarter than that, better than that, and I expect a lot more out of him than that. He needs to be a leader out of this mess we're in, not be a cause of the mess. But I remember him doing something like that last year didn't he? I can hardly remember last week anymore, so maybe I'm thinking too far back and it was Giuon or someone?

The 2016 vs Titans game perhaps?

He's well respected and a leader in Defence. And one of the top players in that position. Injuries notwithstanding, he has been a solid player and one of the best interior pass rushers. Between him and Perry we have one of the best combo rushers in the league imo.

The lions just had an edge in time of possession and that meant Defence was on field longer than normal. Perhaps this is a crucial factor we'll see in coming games too.

Latest posts