OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
I agree with Nodak.

Favre just didn't go down. Someone will hit him, and he'd move his hips and the guy would go flying off, then Favre would complete the pass.

Favre also reads blitzes as well as anyone in the league, and yes, even better than Tom Brady.

Rodgers will be good at reading blitzes. He's very intelligent. He just doesn't have the experience Favre does. So our sack totals will go up this year, but then down with every year Rodgers plays (assuming the OL remains somewhat constant).

I disagree.

Rodgers is more mobile as discussed. He's intelligent, which was mentioned. But I think the biggest thing that will bring DOWN sack totals is the fact that Rodgers will know when to throw it AWAY. Favre looked at triple coverage and shrugged it off and would try the throw anyway(sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). Rodgers will likely throw the ball away, not hold it and look for a throw. Favre always had to make the throw. He was always looking for a receiver, even when he should have been looking for the sidelines.
Yes, totally true but the reason Rodgers may get sacked more is because he may run out of the pocket more. If Rodgers stays in the pocket and MM sticks to Favre-like playbook, I agree with trom.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point, except ONE thing.

In everything we've seen from Rodgers(yes, its limited), he has a favre-like knack for knowing when trouble is there, but instead of firing the ball, he runs for a gain.

I don't see why that trend won't continue.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I think the biggest thing that will bring DOWN sack totals is the fact that Rodgers will know when to throw it AWAY. Favre looked at triple coverage and shrugged it off and would try the throw anyway(sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). Rodgers will likely throw the ball away, not hold it and look for a throw. Favre always had to make the throw. He was always looking for a receiver, even when he should have been looking for the sidelines.
You lost me on this one. How does throwing the ball away instead of throwing it into triple coverage = less sacks? Yes Favre threw into triple coverage too much. But he rarely if ever, got sacked because he held onto the ball too long.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
But I think the biggest thing that will bring DOWN sack totals is the fact that Rodgers will know when to throw it AWAY. Favre looked at triple coverage and shrugged it off and would try the throw anyway(sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). Rodgers will likely throw the ball away, not hold it and look for a throw. Favre always had to make the throw. He was always looking for a receiver, even when he should have been looking for the sidelines.
You lost me on this one. How does throwing the ball away instead of throwing it into triple coverage = less sacks?

Favre holds on to the ball to make plays, holds on too long. sacked.

Rodgers throws ball away or runs. no sack.

I could have said it better I guess.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
tromadz said:
You lost me on this one. How does throwing the ball away instead of throwing it into triple coverage = less sacks?

The question here is how well will Rodge throw on the run? Favre was magic on the run early in his career. So was Majik. Rodgers reminds me a bit of Majkowski. I think Rodgers plays like him, with this team, we should be looking at a very successful season for Rodge.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the OL will benefit in total sacks from Rodgers' feet and ability to escape on about an equal scale to how smart BF was in the pocket at avoiding sacks by moving around like he did.

BF had a great feel for the pocket and the people around him and how to move up or over to buy time. He was just good at it. Rodgers looks like he has the ability to take off and still make a play.

I will say though that while the OL is blessed with pretty talented guys they do a good job of protecting. Your not going to get more than a few seconds back there but most of time the OL gives them that.

I think sacks are overrated and hurries are underrated. I think our OL does well at both and that probably has something to do with why we are #2.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
IronMan said:
tromadz said:

The question here is how well will Rodge throw on the run? Favre was magic on the run early in his career. So was Majik. Rodgers reminds me a bit of Majkowski. I think Rodgers plays like him, with this team, we should be looking at a very successful season for Rodge.

1:10 mark looks pretty promising(yes, one play)

I wish the season would start. I'm tired of saying how Rodgers and the O-line will be fine. I would rather they show you what they can do. 4 months...

Members online

Latest posts