Michael Fabiano's OL Projections

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story;js...0d5d8081c55d&template=with-video&confirm=true

Packers ranked the 2nd best offensive line in the NFL...Nice

"The Packers ranked 18th among offensive lines in 2006 based on our parameters, so their improvement last season should be evident. Green Bay led all NFC lines with 104.5 points, which was an important part of the success of Brett Favre and Ryan Grant. Favre had tremendous protection as he was sacked once for every 30.4 pass attempts in 2007, which is good news for new No. 1 Aaron Rodgers headed into this season."

Now with that draft we added a bunch of depth so ehm, bring it on Allen

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to see the Packer OL ranked so high, I guess, but this rating system doesn't make much sense to me. There is no real attempt to separate what the OL is doing from what the QB, RB's, and receivers are doing. With this system, a mediocre OL with outstanding skill position players behind it could be ranked just as high as an outstanding OL that plays with mediocre skill players.

I think we have one of the best OT tandems in the league, while the interior O-linemen are slightly above average.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that a couple days ago. That totally pumps me up. Someone giving the Pack credit. Unheard of.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree it does feel really good to get some love thrown at the Packers, something that we should all be grateful that we have had great drafts year after year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying this for how long now?

and people thought 'Growth from within' was a joke. Favre's awesome year and Grant's emergence wasn't JUST them being great, although it sure did help. Our offensive line and coaches are good.

1. It takes time
2. No offensive line plays perfectly on every play
3. I like turtles.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny that the Cheatriots are #1, even though their inability to slow down the Giants pass rush is clearly what cost them the Superbowl.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 things

1. Did anyone stop the Giants pass rush, Since69?
2. Why do a lot of us still have doubts about our O-line?
3. Was strength of competition factored into the rankings?

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 things

We pretty much held the Pass Rush in check? They got some pressure but nothing like they did to NE.

I don't have doubt about pass blocking just run blocking. They are getting better. They now have two full seasons under the ZBS. Should only improve.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe it was the revolving door (literally) at both guard spots with Colledge, Spitz, Moll, and Coston ,all of which were benched at one point or another last season because of poor play and injuries .

On many occasions the Packers lined up "4 Wide" on 3rd and short because of their complete inability to run the ball in short yardage situations. In those situations late in the game the 2nd best o-line in the NFL forces it's will upon the opposing defense, That never happened last year.

These o-line rankings seem to be based almost solely on offensive statistics which were due mostly to Favre, Jennings, Driver, Grant, Lee, Jones etc.)

Our o-line had it's moments last year but was no better than average for the season.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 things

1. Yes, several teams did. In fact, the NYG only had 1 sack against the Packers in their first meeting, and no sacks in their post season meeting. Although to be fair, there was pressure, but Fav-re has always been quick to throw the football to avoid the sack.

2. I think that Green Bay has a decent OL, but does need to solidify their guards. I also think that having Fav-re under center helped the OL considerably. Rodgers, from what little we have seen though, looks like he will be fine, but I think we will see him sacked much more than Fav-re. Take the Cowboys game last year. Fav-re got hit a LOT, but never got sacked (OK, once, but there was defensive offsides). Rodgers was sacked three times. Then again, Rodgers didn't throw any picks...

My point in my rambling is that you should expect to see more sacks this year with Rodgers under center, but that doesn't mean that the OL is any worse off. It just means that you QB will make different decisions under pressure. I expect sacks to go up, but INTs to go down. This is a good thing for Packer fans.

3. I don't think so. IN fact, I don't think that a LOT of factors were taken into consideration with these rankings. A good QB or RB will make an OL look good in thee rankings, and a bad QB or RB will make their stock drop. Not very well done IMHO.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although to be fair, there was pressure, but Fav-re has always been quick to throw the football to avoid the sack.

2. I think that Green Bay has a decent OL, but does need to solidify their guards. I also think that having Fav-re under center helped the OL considerably. "Fav-re got hit a LOT,"

No disrespect NodakPaul.

I am just wondering why you always hyphen his name in every post you make?

"Is this a "Something About Mary Tie-Back?"

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to me. Last years O-line was pretty damn good(see: Favre and Grant's numbers) and the O-line will only be BETTER this year.

Yet people *****.

It amuses me.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Although to be fair, there was pressure, but Fav-re has always been quick to throw the football to avoid the sack.

2. I think that Green Bay has a decent OL, but does need to solidify their guards. I also think that having Fav-re under center helped the OL considerably. "Fav-re got hit a LOT,"

No disrespect NodakPaul.

I am just wondering why you always hyphen his name in every post you make?

"Is this a "Something About Mary Tie-Back?"

R.P.

LOL. Yes it is. I have been doing that for so long that I don't even notice any more.

The French in me hates the fact the name has been americanized/ bastardized into such a bad pronunciation.
(And the American in me hates the fact that I have any French in me... ;))

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
All of this is cool and all. Good stuff.

However,

A- Rod is going to help the O-Line sack totals this year.

A-Rod can Gump! He can Gump real well.

Thats Not necessarily true. Favre always made quick decisions, had a quick release, had an uncanny sense of pressure sometimes, was very good at avoiding pressure despite his speed. Meanwhile Michael Vick would get sacked twice as much as Favre in a season statistically speaking..

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont understand how sacks will go up with a better O-Line and a more mobile QB. In fact the Packers will probably have the least sacks in th NFL next year, it may be for than last year but the way our offense is designed, our QB dosn't wait in the pocket. Not like a roll out and wait 3 seconds to almost get sacked, we are designed to get the ball to the playmakers and lets face it, Rodgers isn't one of them yet. I expect a lot of quick 5 yard passes relying on our YAC and I think our O-Line will have better stats and out preform last year.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont understand how sacks will go up with a better O-Line and a more mobile QB. In fact the Packers will probably have the least sacks in th NFL next year, it may be for than last year but the way our offense is designed, our QB dosn't wait in the pocket. Not like a roll out and wait 3 seconds to almost get sacked, we are designed to get the ball to the playmakers and lets face it, Rodgers isn't one of them yet. I expect a lot of quick 5 yard passes relying on our YAC and I think our O-Line will have better stats and out preform last year.

Your sacks will go up and your INTs will go down.

Fav-re was famous for throwing the ball away or forcing it when he was being pressured. He got a lot of great plays that way, but also had a lot of imcompletes and INTs. Rodgers is NOT that kind of QB - which is a good thing. Few people can get away with the stuff Fav-re pulled.

Look at the Dallas game. He was sacked three times to Fav-re's zero, yet had a much better game than Fav-re.

I agree that your OL will probably outperform lat year's performance, but I guarantee that the sack total will go up.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive line is still young on the inside so it could stay the same or get better. More than likely sacks will go up because Favre has a quicker release than Rodgers. He gets rid of the ball fast and that's why the offensive line seemed to play well.

Now the offensive line isn't going to be bad but it's not one of the top 5 units in the league in my opinion.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Nodak.

Favre just didn't go down. Someone will hit him, and he'd move his hips and the guy would go flying off, then Favre would complete the pass.

Favre also reads blitzes as well as anyone in the league, and yes, even better than Tom Brady.

Rodgers will be good at reading blitzes. He's very intelligent. He just doesn't have the experience Favre does. So our sack totals will go up this year, but then down with every year Rodgers plays (assuming the OL remains somewhat constant).

hosemeoff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to me. Last years O-line was pretty damn good(see: Favre and Grant's numbers) and the O-line will only be BETTER this year.

Yet people *****.

It amuses me.

It's funny to me. Last year Favre had blame heaped upon him (see: post-championship game threads and subtle "wish he would make better decisions" posts) but all credit for his pocket awareness, quick release, ball placement, ball velocity/catchability, defense recognition, audibles, play-fakes, and etc. (all hall of fame level) is heaped upon the o-line, running backs, and receivers.

Yet people still doubt.

It amuses me.

ps: Have enjoyed lurking for years and hope that this opposing view will not get me run off by the magnificent Tromadz and his band of merry minions.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not buying it at all.. we don't have the 2nd best line in the league.. like Greg said, we have one of the better tackle combinations in the league.. but overall the interior of the line is too inconsistent to warrant that type of ranking..

I think Fabiano needs to do a little more work..

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our line still has some work to do. Most of the season, the quick passing game helped cover up some of the flaws in the line, since the front five didn't have to hold protection for long. Look what happened in the early part of the Dallas game when we tried some deeper developing patterns. The Dallas pass rush destroyed Brett. Aaron came in, we went back to the quicker throws, and the line didn't look so horrible anymore.

Also, in games like Chicago and Dallas, Grant had a big run or two that made his statline look good, but play in and play out we're not able to run for 4 or 5 yards. Grant hits homeruns, but the running game just doesn't have consistency yet.

Hopefully the guard play improves this year, but right now our O-line is average.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge was the key last year. When he played well, the OL was pretty darned good. At other times though, he played so poorly that he had to be benched for Favre's protection. He'll have to pick it up this year or Barbre may replace him in the starting lineup. The Packers need to become more consistent in the running game. The playoffs last year were a microcosm of the season. They torched Seattle, and then couldn't get Grant any running room against the Giants. Until they become more consistent, they can't really be considered a top OL.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Nodak.

Favre just didn't go down. Someone will hit him, and he'd move his hips and the guy would go flying off, then Favre would complete the pass.

Favre also reads blitzes as well as anyone in the league, and yes, even better than Tom Brady.

Rodgers will be good at reading blitzes. He's very intelligent. He just doesn't have the experience Favre does. So our sack totals will go up this year, but then down with every year Rodgers plays (assuming the OL remains somewhat constant).

I disagree.

Rodgers is more mobile as discussed. He's intelligent, which was mentioned. But I think the biggest thing that will bring DOWN sack totals is the fact that Rodgers will know when to throw it AWAY. Favre looked at triple coverage and shrugged it off and would try the throw anyway(sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). Rodgers will likely throw the ball away, not hold it and look for a throw. Favre always had to make the throw. He was always looking for a receiver, even when he should have been looking for the sidelines.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts