Merged with poll: So if we go head coach shopping in the offseason........

What head coach would you like?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

do you not see the differences between the 2? I liked McKenzie, he's going to have success there, you can already see it, but come on. They've won nothing yet, let alone sustained anything. and most of what he's achieved so far was building thru the draft and getting rid of dead weight and gaining a favorable salary cap to work with.

It's true the Raiders haven't won anything yet but it seems they're headed in the right direction. McKenzie has used free agency considerably more often than Thompson to get it done.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you not see the differences between the 2? I liked McKenzie, he's going to have success there, you can already see it, but come on. They've won nothing yet, let alone sustained anything. and most of what he's achieved so far was building thru the draft and getting rid of dead weight and gaining a favorable salary cap to work with.
I know they haven't really won anything, but it looks like they are heading in the right direction. K.Mack, D.Carr, Cooper, Cribtree Mckenzie is making it happen in raiderNation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true the Raiders haven't won anything yet but it seems they're headed in the right direction. McKenzie has used free agency considerably more often than Thompson to get it done.
He has, he's had nobody of note to even think about keeping from his own roster either. They are headed in the right direction. he has benefited from their situation though. He could lose, as there was no expectation to win, he hasn't been paying a multi million dollar a game QB for years. He gutted the roster and started over with salary cap to spare. he's done a great job, but don't confuse the situation with what they are in now, with what Ted Thompson has been working with over here.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The good thing is that if we do let McCarthy go, we'll have coaches lined up for miles wanting to coach Rodgers.

We might even be able to lure Gruden from ESPN.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Pacino.
Gene Hackman.
The Fonz.
Hey, those guys were great in the movies. Why not real life? I'm sure they can get it done.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Both Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh have found their homes in the Big 10, I would highly doubt either of them would leave college coaching for the NFL.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too many guys to throw out there off the top of my head, but I'm not so enamored with McDaniels as some seem to be.
Matt Patricia is a guy I'd start out looking long and hard at.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The good news for the Packers is that Eliot Wolf is available and probably a good GM candidate. There are plenty of quality head coach prospects out there that he would have to chose from that would jump to not only be in GB, but to take over the roster that the Packers currently have. This isn't someone being asked to coach the Cleveland Browns, its the fricking Green Bay Packers.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Josh McDaniels is such a creative play caller. He would do wonders for this program. I think the biggest problem in Green Bay is injuries. The next biggest problem is that as a casual fan, I can call every play from the line of scrimmage. That means that any defensive coordinator in this league can do the same. I have been watching the Giants struggle from it with Macadoo as well. We need some more creative plays!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

But what the hell is causing all these injuries ? Is it the conditioning coaches ?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good thing is that if we do let McCarthy go, we'll have coaches lined up for miles wanting to coach Rodgers.

We might even be able to lure Gruden from ESPN.
I agree with that I personally would like gruden too but I don't think he is gonna leave his ESPN gig he makes a boat load

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting.

Last night at the Monday Night Football Herf & Beer Slamma-Rama the first name we came up with was Josh McDaniels.

Of course, by that point of the evening we were calling him Wahoo McDaniels but everybody knew what we meant. ;)

One thing for sure, this team is stale, and going nowhere.

Sometimes a change can be good, just for the sake of a change.

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers haven't had a losing record or missed the playoffs since 2008. Firing McCarthy at the first sign of struggle would be a massive mistake IMO.

I know things may seem like the sky is falling here in Packer land if you're used to always being a good team, but from the perspective of a recently converted Jets fan I can tell you first hand things can get much, much worse.

McCarthy is a proven winning coach and would be scooped up by another team in a New York minute if let go.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, first let me just say some posters, and frankly some media dummies need to whacked on the head by a big old 2 by 4 for even mentioning Josh McDaniels's name. I mean that is just stupid, stupid stupid.

The guy is a hack, he couldn't coach to save his life in Denver or St Louis, he churned up a team full of soft putz's who got *****-slapped on a regular. Anyone who hires that clown deserves the dumpster fire they're going to get. NO NO NO to any thought of him coming to Green Bay.

2nd, Gruden and Cowher are not coming back to the sidelines, I mean I swear I've heard every single fanbase in both college and nfl calling Gruden's name for years. Guess what? He's out, he's not available period, and neither is Cowher.

Now some of the better names I've heard are Sean Payton and John Harbaugh. Payton of course because if there was anyone who could likely get Rodgers back on track with a solid coaching staff, it certainly would be him. Harbaugh too certainly can't be ignored with how he really made Flacco into a serviceable and at times even great QB, such as 2011 and then 2012 when he was SB MVP. My concerns on Payton though have been his mistakes in hiring off-kilter defensive coordinators like Spagnuola, Rob Ryan, and now Dennis Allen. With our defense in the shape it is, we might be gambling heavy on him getting it right there. Harbaugh, well the Ravens are in first in the AFC North, no guarantee they'll hold that, but assuming they did make the playoffs, and possibly went on a bit of a run, he and Ozzie Newsome are going to buy some good will and likely stay a few more years. But if he was available I would certainly consider him considering a lot of the inroads and connections he's made in his tenure, and unlike his brother he's a lot more even-keeled and I think could actually do well in the Green Bay atmosphere.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a complete waste of time speculating on a new head coach for the Packers. McCarthy (and Thompson) won't be leaving Green Bay at the end of this season. Unless, at the end, they are in double-digits in losses and Mark Murphy and the Executive Committee conclude they are the problem. Which they won't and will consider the otherwise winning record TT & MM have compiled here to warrant another chance.

I think the top Packers' management will regard what's happened with the team this year a matter of personnel and injuries but will expect major changes to the team going forward.

The only coaching change I would expect and hope for is the defensive coordinator. Mostly because I hope MM and TT decide that 8 years of mediocrity and worse on defense; with only a couple of exceptions, trying to play a 3-4 is enough. The Packers need to scrap that and convert to 4-3 and bring in not only by the draft but also free agency the players and and a new dc to run it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Josh McDaniels is such a creative play caller. He would do wonders for this program. I think the biggest problem in Green Bay is injuries. The next biggest problem is that as a casual fan, I can call every play from the line of scrimmage. That means that any defensive coordinator in this league can do the same. I have been watching the Giants struggle from it with Macadoo as well. We need some more creative plays!

McDaniels is a great offensive coordinator but I don't consider him a decent head coach.

The Packers haven't had a losing record or missed the playoffs since 2008. Firing McCarthy at the first sign of struggle would be a massive mistake IMO.

McCarthy is a proven winning coach and would be scooped up by another team in a New York minute if let go.

The Packers are 9-12 over the last 21 games starting a future Hall of Fame quarterback. I don't have the feeling that McCarthy is capable of turning the team around and therefore should be fired if the team continues to struggle for the rest of the season.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
SO with all the talk around MM being gone next year. Who would you replace him with? Same for Dom Capers.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HC: McDaniels, Mike Shanahan, Matt Patricia, Cowher, Gruden,

DC: Monti Kiffin, Rex Ryan ( If fired..unlikely though), **** Lebeau, Lovie Smith.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels, Kyle Shanahan, Scott Linehan, Bill Cowher.

Don't know why we should consider DC since the head coach makes that decision.

Members online

Latest posts