Mel Kiper mock 1.0

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OT need is more about depth.

Yep, no need to use a high pick on OT IMO. Find a guy in the 4th to develop (Ted has a ton of success in the 4th Rd picking O-Lineman). You're starting 5 is coming back next year with a really nice 6th in Tretter, and who knows maybe you let him and Linsley fight it out in TC for the center spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about anyone else but I am not big on DT pick in the 1st. But as said above mocks are mocks.

IMO it's way too early to talk about the Packers draft needs but with Raji and Guion set to become free agents it's possible DT will be one of the Packers primary needs in May.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm being quoted here more then Mel Kiper Jr. himself. Like I said, I think he does a good job at a very difficult task. Both of those articles point out what he has been good at and what he hasn't been so good at. But like I said, if you are expecting perfection on draft pick predictions, you might as well play the lottery.

Well, like everything else on the board, hyperbole and absolutes will kill a discussion. If we expect perfection from almost anyone in almost anything, we're going to be disappointed. The point with Kiper is that this is his full time job, and he ought to be better than the 'pretty good', 'B-', '22%' and other descriptions.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, no need to use a high pick on OT IMO. Find a guy in the 4th to develop (Ted has a ton of success in the 4th Rd picking O-Lineman). You're starting 5 is coming back next year with a really nice 6th in Tretter, and who knows maybe you let him and Linsley fight it out in TC for the center spot.

Absolutely agree, but it depends on who's available at our spot. Like others have said, it's too early to talk about absolutes. However, if there is a dominant LT prospect around our pick, I think it would be a great pick. Reason being, if he can come in right away we instantly have amazing depth at oline with Tretter and Bahk. Even if he can't, we groom him and still have amazing depth.

Realistically, I see us taking a DL or LB prospect with the first. I would not be opposed to TE though, especially if OJ Howard is around.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The OT need is more about depth. Other teams lose a lineman and don't miss too much. We lose one or two and it means about 14 sacks in two games. The bad grab prize in the TE position was that the one we drafted for the future was supposed to be Bostick not RRodgers. That one really cost us. Not only does he lose the championship game but when he was on the offense he had stone fingers and could not get out of the block. A real bust.
IMO the Packers' need for a backup LT "screams out" for a free agency solution. Of course I'd love the addition of a better LT than Bakhtiari but even adding one competent vet LT would make the situation on the OL much, much more stable. I'm not talking about a top tier vet so IMO it would be a small price to pay to help secure Rodgers' health.

I'm not exactly sure what the "bad grab prize" means but I disagree Bostick and not RRodgers was drafted to be the future TE. Bostick wasn't drafted, he was an UDFA who spent his first season on the PS. Rodgers OTOH was drafted at the end of the third round. Just because RRodgers doesn't fill the team's needs at TE doesn't mean he wasn't drafted to do so.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the Packers' need for a backup LT "screams out" for a free agency solution. Of course I'd love the addition of a better LT than Bakhtiari but even adding one competent vet LT would make the situation on the OL much, much more stable. I'm not talking about a top tier vet so IMO it would be a small price to pay to help secure Rodgers' health.

I'm not exactly sure what the "bad grab prize" means but I disagree Bostick and not RRodgers was drafted to be the future TE. Bostick wasn't drafted, he was an UDFA who spent his first season on the PS. Rodgers OTOH was drafted at the end of the third round. Just because RRodgers doesn't fill the team's needs at TE doesn't mean he wasn't drafted to do so.

I just don't see us paying for a veteran LT. I like the idea, but I don't see it happening. Most likely TT sticks to his draft more OL in the 4th philosophy.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it's way too early to talk about the Packers draft needs but with Raji and Guion set to become free agents it's possible DT will be one of the Packers primary needs in May.

Agreed, I guess i would just be surprised if TT does not get a deal done with at least one of those guys.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Georgia fan, I'm not sure about that. I mean I guess in the second it wouldn't be bad, but he's a tad overrated. Tall, lanky, underweight, and not as fast as he seems.

yea i just have a good feeling but i think hes got potential if he falls and we get him even better but i think he will be a good player for someone. The
As a Georgia fan, I'm not sure about that. I mean I guess in the second it wouldn't be bad, but he's a tad overrated. Tall, lanky, underweight, and not as fast as he seems.

that sounds like you described the other guy from georgia cant think of his name flloyd?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea i just have a good feeling but i think hes got potential if he falls and we get him even better but i think he will be a good player for someone. The

that sounds like you described the other guy from georgia cant think of his name flloyd?

You're absolutely right, I mixed up my Georgia boys. I think both will be alright, but more like Datone. Decent players, but they won't knock your socks off. Neither are incredible athletes and I think they both helped each other being on the same team. Only time will tell though.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right, I mixed up my Georgia boys. I think both will be alright, but more like Datone. Decent players, but they won't knock your socks off. Neither are incredible athletes and I think they both helped each other being on the same team. Only time will tell though.

flloyd to me is another dion jordan. if he falls to 2nd round i wouldnt mind him either because who knows what he can do hes got speed which is nice but still a project

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only position you listed that if you want an upgrade at that you'd want an upgrade at in the starting lineup is LT where if you want a very real chance of getting a better player than Bakhtiari is to grab one in the 1st round.
I don't see any upgrade at LT at #27 for us. No way we trade up for one either. The only way we go OT is as a development guy later on, maybe the guy from Harvard at RT. Tretter can handle LT as a backup.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal wishlist:

1: NT
2: TE
3: ILB/OLB
4: OT
5: RB
6: S
7: WR
I think we 'can be' set at NT by signing a FA. Namely our own FA, Raji. He definitely is not a weak link like at TE ot ILB.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any upgrade at LT at #27 for us. No way we trade up for one either. The only way we go OT is as a development guy later on, maybe the guy from Harvard at RT. Tretter can handle LT as a backup.

Jason Spriggs from indiana looks like nice developmental guy hes 6 foot 7 307 but not stocky so he needs to put on some muscle but im in love with andrew billings i hope we get him somehow NT from baylor check him out man let me know what you think

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot depends, not only on our won FA signings, but those of other teams as well. Ahhhhhh, draft season. The sport of Kings and prognosticators everywhere. Wonder who the Bear's fans are hoping for this year?

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we let Raji go, you can bet we will not get upgrades at TE and ILB. And if Peppers retires, that will throw OLB in the mix as position of need as well. (probably need to pick someone there anyway)

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at Mel-K's 1.0 I have a couple questions

Question 1: Can we get first round value at ILB with Ragland, Smith and Jack already off the board?
Question 2: Do we go with Hunter Henry @#27 and look at a 2nd tier ILB in round 2 (see question #1)
Question 3: With Starks in the free zone and Lacy's sad condition in 2015, could we really pass up on Ezekiel Elliot if he fell into our lap at #27?

Assuming RB is not an option in the real world, do we go for someone like Brothers in round 1 and Hooper in round 2 or go for Henry in round 1 and Beniquez Brown in round two?

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Spriggs from indiana looks like nice developmental guy hes 6 foot 7 307 but not stocky so he needs to put on some muscle but im in love with andrew billings i hope we get him somehow NT from baylor check him out man let me know what you think
But do we want to use #27 for a development guy?

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have a copy of Mel's big board they could post? I still can't bring myself to donate money to The Mothership.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I said a chance and it's not like Bakhtiari is a world beater. Draft is a long way off still. Gotta see who rises and falls

Members online

Latest posts