McCarthy playing it way too safe on playcalling

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense made plays in the first half Rodgers would have capitilized they are efffffed with hundley

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't just playing it safe, he's trying to pound square pegs into round holes. He expects Hundley to run the Rodgers offense and is squandering opportunities doing that.

I'll say this about Hundley, he has some escapability and when in the right position can make some KaeperVick type plays. My only knock on him is his deep ball, but we can work around that.

MM though refuses to call more zone read option plays for him and those are what fit his strength.

Also, MM needs to permanently get Montgomery out of that backfield. He is a receiver not a RB.

Also think after this season Capers and Zook should go.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For MM to be the offensive and QB guru everyone say he is and the successful football coach he claims to be, I was disappointed. He said the best week of practice they have had all year and yet Hundley has less than 100 yards passing. And he needs to FIRE capers

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter the play calling, not going to win against Drew Brees when our QB only completes 12 of 15 passes. Hundley didn't play well.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The season is a waste. Unfortunately AR's injury will be the excuse to bring back that loser GM.
I disagree. AR's injury is the perfect reason to get rid of that overrated turd. 3-8-1 without Rodgers and only going to get worse proves Teddy can't build a playoff caliber team around him, let alone a championship caliber team. Teddy owes his overrated career to Rodgers falling into his lap at the draft.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you can expect McCarthy to call an aggressive game with a backup making his first start in the NFL, who looks like nothing more than a game manager.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you can expect McCarthy to call an aggressive game with a backup making his first start in the NFL, who looks like nothing more than a game manager.

It's not about aggressive vs conservative, it's about being willing to go to more of a zone-read based offense vs maintaining more of the pocket-based spread west coast offense. You can disagree with this if you want, but in this day's league you don't force a player who's been reared in one style of offense to change his game to another QBs offense, you change your playbook and way of thinking to match theirs. I mean, how silly would it be if Matthew Stafford was playing for the Seahawks and Darrell Bevell was still making him run the Russell Wilson bootleg read option offense? Would be pretty stupid if you ask me.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can disagree with this if you want, but in this day's league you don't force a player who's been reared in one style of offense to change his game to another QBs offense, you change your playbook and way of thinking to match theirs.

Which is why we would have been better suited to draft a QB who plays our system of offense, vs drafting in hopes of selling at a higher price later on, in case... You know... Your actual Qb goes down.

If we aren't willing to play to Hundley strength, and he isn't a good enough player to adapt to ours, then what exactly should we expect?

I've said it about TT and MM for a decade:

Square pegs, round holes.

Basketball players as fb players. Safeties to play corner. Wrs to play rb. 4-3 players to be in 3-4 defense. Blockers being asked to catch. Over and over, etc etc etc. Need a lineman? Draft a wide receiver. Need a cornerback? Draft another wr.

Remove AR from this puzzle, and both these guys are fired in 2010.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why we would have been better suited to draft a QB who plays our system of offense, vs drafting in hopes of selling at a higher price later on, in case... You know... Your actual Qb goes down.

If we aren't willing to play to Hundley strength, and he isn't a good enough player to adapt to ours, then what exactly should we expect?

I've said it about TT and MM for a decade:

Square pegs, round holes.

Basketball players as fb players. Safeties to play corner. Wrs to play rb. 4-3 players to be in 3-4 defense. Blockers being asked to catch. Over and over, etc etc etc. Need a lineman? Draft a wide receiver. Need a cornerback? Draft another wr.

Remove AR from this puzzle, and both these guys are fired in 2010.

Yeah, seeing what Hundley ran at UCLA had me kinda scratching my head over the draft pick just because his offense there was not what we run. I woulda thought he'd have gone more with a Bridgewater type guy because he comes at least from a pro-style offense which transitioning from that to ours would be much less of a learning curve or at the least, not be pounding the square pegs into the round holes.

On the corners thing .... well, obviously we never seem to have enough depth there. But I truly believe Capers's scheme is getting outdated. That Micah Hyde who I constantly berated while he was here is out there succeeding in McDermot's scheme is pretty telling about what the problem is there. You should be fired IMO if your D can't get off the field on 3rd down because they can't stop screen passes.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley had very few good pass plays and saved himself with his legs few times. This team is lucky to win 2 or more games the rest of the season. The defense is not that good and we must score 35 points a game to even have a chance at winning.(That's when we had Rodgers) Major changes needed!

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley had very few good pass plays and saved himself with his legs few times. This team is lucky to win 2 or more games the rest of the season. The defense is not that good and we must score 35 points a game to even have a chance at winning.(That's when we had Rodgers) Major changes needed!

There has been exactly one game of 7 this year when 35 points was needed for a win when Atlanta put up 34...

Pretty sure 27 would have been enough Sunday also unless there's some obscure rule saying the Packers need 35 or automatically lose.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley simply wasn't very good. Maybe MM could have helped him out more. I don't know considering I'm not an NFL play caller so I won't pretend like I can accurately judge that.

When the QB is playing terribly, it's extremely difficult to scheme for.

We had a running game, the defense slowed Brees until our offense did nothing and gave it right back The biggest difference was Hundley couldn't get it done. An average performance could have won us the game.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Good coaches build their team around their best players. This is an Aaron Rodgers offense. The only person that can manage this offense is Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the NFL. If he goes to New England, they become a better football team. If he goes to Atlanta, they become a better football team. We lose Aaron Rodgers, we lose football games. This loss was not the defenses fault. They held a high powered Saints offense to 26 points. Aaron Rodgers would have put up 36 points and we would not have anything bad to say about the coaching and the defense. Everyone is deflecting Brett Hundley's poor play on to anyone else they can blame.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good coaches build their team around their best players. This is an Aaron Rodgers offense. The only person that can manage this offense is Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the NFL. If he goes to New England, they become a better football team. If he goes to Atlanta, they become a better football team. We lose Aaron Rodgers, we lose football games. This loss was not the defenses fault. They held a high powered Saints offense to 26 points. Aaron Rodgers would have put up 36 points and we would not have anything bad to say about the coaching and the defense. Everyone is deflecting Brett Hundley's poor play on to anyone else they can blame.

26 points is no small amount and yes it is the defense's fault if they don't get off the field on 3rd down and play the archaic zone prevent in those situations. They look like they don't even practice against screen passes.

Sorry but this whole Aaron Rodgers is the only one who can run this offense is baloney. The New England Patriots have had Cassel and Garropolo running things just fine in Brady's absence, and when Flynn was here he was winning us some games.

As to Hundley, TT has me still scratching my head as to why he would draft a QB from a totally different offense than what we run. But MM says he's our QB, and I'm OK with this. But if that's the case, you change the playbook to match his toolset.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
26 points is no small amount and yes it is the defense's fault if they don't get off the field on 3rd down and play the archaic zone prevent in those situations. They look like they don't even practice against screen passes.

I blame players when zone defense can't stop a screen.

Everyone is looking forward. The entire backend should read and react to screen.

There's (typically) no extra rushers in a zone defense. The back 7 should be able to blow up a couple of blocks and make that tackle.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, this is also why Kaepernick coming here would not make a difference. He and Hundley both are cut from the same cloth and thrived in practically the same offense with Kaep having a little more speed and arm strength. But point is if MM won't adjust the playbook for Hundley, there's no reason to believe he would for Kaep either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry but this whole Aaron Rodgers is the only one who can run this offense is baloney. The New England Patriots have had Cassel and Garropolo running things just fine in Brady's absence, and when Flynn was here he was winning us some games.

As to Hundley, TT has me still scratching my head as to why he would draft a QB from a totally different offense than what we run. But MM says he's our QB, and I'm OK with this. But if that's the case, you change the playbook to match his toolset.
I'm not sure he has a tool set capable of winning in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts