McCarthy is a great coach

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just a reminder; https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-member/s.29585

"If anyone here every has an issue with how someone types, spells, or using the wrong word---for instance

Receiving core and not receiving corp (we had to lay this out perfectly because some posters were confused)

Please do not point out the mistakes in the forum. Send that person a pm please. Your going to open up a whole mess that no one wants to deal with. Be respectful of the person and not embarrass them in front of their fellow Packer and NFL fans."

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I was thrilled with Rick's post. I'd always wondered about my mental skills, and now I know I don't even have to try and use them. I assume that, since we're clueless, he'll be glad to show us the light.

Second, almost looks like we can actually talk about the way a post is composed when deciding whether or not the writer has what's necessary to be taken seriously. Basic grammar and punctuation are good starting points, but I'd sure love to see some attention paid to it's/its, they're/there/their, and other homonyms.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
First, I was thrilled with Rick's post. I'd always wondered about my mental skills, and now I know I don't even have to try and use them. I assume that, since we're clueless, he'll be glad to show us the light.

Second, almost looks like we can actually talk about the way a post is composed when deciding whether or not the writer has what's necessary to be taken seriously. Basic grammar and punctuation are good starting points, but I'd sure love to see some attention paid to it's/its, they're/there/their, and other homonyms.

We don't make an issue of those things according to Robdog's forum rules.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I know. That's why I was happy to get a chance while it looked like you forgot to lock the door for a while. :)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That is a dumb statement this team would not have won as many games over the years if that were true do you people know how hard it is to get to a SB let alone win one wow you people are clueless !

And welcome to the forum. We like to play nice around here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a reminder; https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-member/s.29585

"If anyone here every has an issue with how someone types, spells, or using the wrong word---for instance

Receiving core and not receiving corp (we had to lay this out perfectly because some posters were confused)

Please do not point out the mistakes in the forum. Send that person a pm please. Your going to open up a whole mess that no one wants to deal with. Be respectful of the person and not embarrass them in front of their fellow Packer and NFL fans."
Core is acceptable in certain contexts, so is corps, and even recently corpse might be acceptable in describing the receiving unit

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I get not nit picking grammar and spelling, but if someone is using the "wrong" word how can a discussion continue without clearing that up? Anyway, to return to the subject of the thread:
In 2015 he gave up that focus to be a "big picture" coach. What really happened in my view is he gave up the offensive duties to focus 60 to 70% of his time on defense… Mike McCarthy is a great coach, but a terrible hiring manager. His offensive and defensive staffs do not perform when he isn't directly over seeing / supervising them. Look at the few coaches who have gone else where. Joe philbin, flop. Ben McAdoo, mixed results
Do you have any evidence at all to support your 60-70% time spent on D theory? Obviously McCarthy has given up some of his duties on O to spend more time on D and STs but I have no idea what the breakdown of his time is. Perhaps I missed a quote from him?

Also, I think if you want to gauge the quality of an assistant coach/coordinator by how he performs with another team he has to be in the same position. I’ve mentioned the Peter Principle before, which is the idea that an employee will get promoted to his level of incompetence. For all I know Joe Philbin’s level of competence ends as an OC and that he's not suited to be a HC. (Or perhaps it had something to do with the situation in Miami? After all, Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland.) We’ve seen a lot of DCs and OCs get HCing jobs only to find out they don’t have what it takes to do that job. I haven’t – and won’t – attempt to evaluate all the variables involved with the NYG’s O, but since McAdoo joined them they’ve increased their ppg production from 28th in the league the year before he became their OC to 13th to 7th so far this season.
The example about Edgar would be another hypothesis I would like to test, I think he is a good coach as well, but it seems without McCarthy there looking over his shoulder the units EB is responsible for have floundered (since he is the offensive coordinator the receivers and offensive line fall under him). I would say he gets a pass this year to grow into the role.
The problem I see with evaluating EB is while his title is OC, he does not have the duties we associate with that title. Tom Clements, as associate head coach/offense, is the de facto OC, so what exactly are EB’s duties? How much input does he have on the overall game plan? What part does he play, if any, in play calling? Since I don’t know what his duties are, there’s no way I can evaluate his performance.

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get not nit picking grammar and spelling, but if someone is using the "wrong" word how can a discussion continue without clearing that up? Anyway, to return to the subject of the thread: Do you have any evidence at all to support your 60-70% time spent on D theory? Obviously McCarthy has given up some of his duties on O to spend more time on D and STs but I have no idea what the breakdown of his time is. Perhaps I missed a quote from him?

Also, I think if you want to gauge the quality of an assistant coach/coordinator by how he performs with another team he has to be in the same position. I’ve mentioned the Peter Principle before, which is the idea that an employee will get promoted to his level of incompetence. For all I know Joe Philbin’s level of competence ends as an OC and that he's not suited to be a HC. (Or perhaps it had something to do with the situation in Miami? After all, Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland.) We’ve seen a lot of DCs and OCs get HCing jobs only to find out they don’t have what it takes to do that job. I haven’t – and won’t – attempt to evaluate all the variables involved with the NYG’s O, but since McAdoo joined them they’ve increased their ppg production from 28th in the league the year before he became their OC to 13th to 7th so far this season. The problem I see with evaluating EB is while his title is OC, he does not have the duties we associate with that title. Tom Clements, as associate head coach/offense, is the de facto OC, so what exactly are EB’s duties? How much input does he have on the overall game plan? What part does he play, if any, in play calling? Since I don’t know what his duties are, there’s no way I can evaluate his performance.

I have no basis for my percentages. You win.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no basis for my percentages. You win.
:rolleyes: It's not about winning - I was just asking what you based part of your post upon. As I posted, perhaps I missed a quote of McCarthy which was the source of those percentages. I answered most of your post with substance; do you have a problem with that too? Do you have any comments about mine regarding your post?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

:rolleyes: It's not about winning - I was just asking what you based part of your post upon. As I posted, perhaps I missed a quote of McCarthy which was the source of those percentages. I answered most of your post with substance; do you have a problem with that too? Do you have any comments about mine regarding your post?

TJ where is the problem ? he conceded your point.

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rest of your post was about how we shouldn't judge Edgar Bennett because we don't know his exact role. I agree. Lets be hypothetical. McCarthy up until this year spent 90-95 percent of his time with the offense and 5 to 10% with the defense. Up until 2015 aside from maybe 2006 the offense has been potent. 2015 comes around and McCarthy changes his role, he now spends 30 to 40% of his time with the offense and 60 to 70 percent of his time with the defense. Now, the defense is much improved over 2014 and the offense regresses significantly. My assertion is, McCarthy is a great teacher and coach and needs to be intimately involved with both sides of the ball and all units because his other coaches aren't nearly as talented as he is. Now in the real world you and I will never know what percentage of time McCarthy spends with all units, but let's assume his reason for giving up play calling duties was to spend more time with the defense because McCarthy didn't feel the talent was living up to its potential.
Tl:dr McCarthy is a great football coach and a less than average evaluator of coaching talent which limits the success of the Packers.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What?! Trying to prevent pointless criticism that adds nothing to a discussion? You're ruining the Internets!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rest of your post was about how we shouldn't judge Edgar Bennett because we don't know his exact role. I agree. Lets be hypothetical. McCarthy up until this year spent 90-95 percent of his time with the offense and 5 to 10% with the defense. Up until 2015 aside from maybe 2006 the offense has been potent. 2015 comes around and McCarthy changes his role, he now spends 30 to 40% of his time with the offense and 60 to 70 percent of his time with the defense. Now, the defense is much improved over 2014 and the offense regresses significantly. My assertion is, McCarthy is a great teacher and coach and needs to be intimately involved with both sides of the ball and all units because his other coaches aren't nearly as talented as he is. Now in the real world you and I will never know what percentage of time McCarthy spends with all units, but let's assume his reason for giving up play calling duties was to spend more time with the defense because McCarthy didn't feel the talent was living up to its potential.
Tl:dr McCarthy is a great football coach and a less than average evaluator of coaching talent which limits the success of the Packers.

There are some holes in this logic. The only time fans know that McCarthy took a highly active role in defensive gameplanning was prior to last season when the team unveiled a defensive scheme so terrible that they stopped using it after four weeks. So I'm not sure why McCarthy is getting credit for a "defensive turnaround" that doesn't even really exist (last year's defense wasn't that bad, people forget that the defense was the only reason the Packers were winning the championship game); adjusted for opponent last year's defense was 16th by DVOA and this year's defense is 11th (through 13 weeks).

McCarthy stepping away from calling plays was more based, I thought, on the offense having no idea that Sherman and Thomas were injured for the second half of the championship game (still one of the more embarrassing and epic screw-ups I've ever heard of) as well as the special teams breakdowns and him having no idea why Matthews wasn't on the field at the end of the championship game.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your take on McCarthy is dead wrong about picking coaches you have no clue how hard it is to win in the NFL year after year don't blame the coaching staff this staff has won a lot of games in this league more then you could sitting in your chair shooting off your mouth !:rolleyes:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your take on McCarthy is dead wrong about picking coaches you have no clue how hard it is to win in the NFL year after year don't blame the coaching staff this staff has won a lot of games in this league more then you could sitting in your chair shooting off your mouth !:rolleyes:
Why do people keep crediting him with all of the wins? He has one of the best QBs of all time. If you can't put together a winning team with Rodgers, you have no place in the NFL.

What about the 2013 season when he was out half of the year? They stunk. They won 25% of their games. That doesn't sound like a great coach to me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do people keep crediting him with all of the wins? He has one of the best QBs of all time. If you can't put together a winning team with Rodgers, you have no place in the NFL.

What about the 2013 season when he was out half of the year? They stunk. They won 25% of their games. That doesn't sound like a great coach to me.
Tough for anyone to win playing a QB signed after training camp because your #2 and #1 QB's are out injured. How's that working for Dallas this year? or St, Louis?

Latest posts