McCarthy is a great coach

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people keep crediting him with all of the wins? He has one of the best QBs of all time. If you can't put together a winning team with Rodgers, you have no place in the NFL.

What about the 2013 season when he was out half of the year? They stunk. They won 25% of their games. That doesn't sound like a great coach to me.
Matt Flynn vs. NE 2010: 24-37 251 yards 3 td's 1 int.

Matt Flynn vs. Detroit 2012: 31-44 480 yards 6 td's 1 int.

Obviously anyone who watched GB the year you mentioned knew the backup QB situation was a mess with Harrell, Coleman & Young not producing and all out of the NFL shortly after and Wallace getting injured right away. Not sure you can put that on MM. Heck, before the third time Rodgers got injured people were calling him a system QB:rolleyes:

alan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, i do love me some McCarthy, however, i am not sure that he is a great coach. He has shown multiple instances of clock management problems and has had slight dissapointments in the playoffs so i wouldnt quite categorize him as great....just yet. He wins another Super Bowl and yeah, he's great, until then he is just really darn good.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, i do love me some McCarthy, however, i am not sure that he is a great coach. He has shown multiple instances of clock management problems and has had slight dissapointments in the playoffs so i wouldnt quite categorize him as great....just yet. He wins another Super Bowl and yeah, he's great, until then he is just really darn good.
you're correct: It's all about Championships. We've won 2 in the last 47 years.....not exactly Titletown standards.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more its hard to win games in the NFL and McCarthy has done an outstanding job here a lot of teams wish they had a HC like him look around the League there are not many out there !

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more its hard to win games in the NFL and McCarthy has done an outstanding job here a lot of teams wish they had a HC like him look around the League there are not many out there !

There also are very few quarterback like AR, think he probably has more to do with the recent success of the packers than MM IMO.

The sign of a good coach is getting more out of his roster than what truly exist. Can you say unequivocally that he makes this team better?

Not saying I disagree... Great is quite the jump in my mind, and should be reserved for a special group. But Ill go as far as above average.

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your take on McCarthy is dead wrong about picking coaches you have no clue how hard it is to win in the NFL year after year don't blame the coaching staff this staff has won a lot of games in this league more then you could sitting in your chair shooting off your mouth !:rolleyes:

They've also lost more games than I have sitting on my couch shooting off my mouth. What's your point?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a great question (that really can't be answered): do Rodgers, Thompson or McCarthy deserve the majority of the credit for this team winning so consistently? I tend to fall on the side of Rodgers (I always think of how long Peyton Manning kept a mediocre GM and coach employed in Indianapolis) being the impetus behind the team's success. I will point out however that Thompson is a very good GM and McCarthy is a pretty good coach, so I'm not trying to take that away. Just curious how many Super Bowls this team would have with Belichick as the coach or if the team dabbled a little more in free agency (and don't start the "free agents never work" garbage...they DO work if done correctly, see Pats last year, Pats this year, Dan Williams on the Raiders, etc).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, let's judge a whole coaching career off a game

1. The thread title includes "is". There's no indication that we're evaluating a career.

2. You just never make allowances for smileys, do you? I think MM has a lot of deficiencies, and, although he's done a lot right, in the past, asking why he's not a good coach in the middle of today's game was too big a softball not to take a swing at.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM and TED need to do something about the OLINE. Watching the AZ game MM went out there with the mentality that he was going to punch AZ in the mouth and found out how weak the online is compared to nfl elite standards. Denver and AZ made us look soft

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a great question (that really can't be answered): do Rodgers, Thompson or McCarthy deserve the majority of the credit for this team winning so consistently? I tend to fall on the side of Rodgers (I always think of how long Peyton Manning kept a mediocre GM and coach employed in Indianapolis) being the impetus behind the team's success. I will point out however that Thompson is a very good GM and McCarthy is a pretty good coach, so I'm not trying to take that away. Just curious how many Super Bowls this team would have with Belichick as the coach or if the team dabbled a little more in free agency (and don't start the "free agents never work" garbage...they DO work if done correctly, see Pats last year, Pats this year, Dan Williams on the Raiders, etc).

You wonder how we would do with a top 5 coach of all time? good question.

We do partake in free agency. Peppers and Woodson were some of the best free agent pick ups in the past 10 years

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM has lost the team and isnt on the same page as Rodgers. This team has talent and is under performing. I think they need to take a serious look at a replacement.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wonder how we would do with a top 5 coach of all time? good question.

We do partake in free agency. Peppers and Woodson were some of the best free agent pick ups in the past 10 years

How can you say the Packers "partake in free agency" when only three players on the opening day roster played for other teams? (and that includes John Kuhn who had a cup of coffee with Pittsburgh)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...f-youre-a-packers-lions-vikings-or-bears-fan/

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ith-familiar-faces-b99573584z1-326180561.html

Peppers was not technically a free agent, he was a cap casualty who the Packers signed.

Woodson signed with the Packers roughly twenty years ago.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a serious question for the "McCarthy is great" group:

Is anybody else concerned that the coaching staff has not found a way to make the offense work? The offense has been stale for the last ten weeks and it doesn't look like any adjustments have been made.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say the Packers "partake in free agency" when only three players on the opening day roster played for other teams? (and that includes John Kuhn who had a cup of coffee with Pittsburgh)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...f-youre-a-packers-lions-vikings-or-bears-fan/

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ith-familiar-faces-b99573584z1-326180561.html

Peppers was not technically a free agent, he was a cap casualty who the Packers signed.

Woodson signed with the Packers roughly twenty years ago.

LOL every season we get those posters (you know who you are) who suggest we should sign this guy this guy or this guy. And yet without fail it turns out to be a not so great move by the team that signs said player. We have had massive success with the few FAs we have signed, but we dont sign that many. Oddly enough GB is used for leverage more than its used as a legit option for alot of FAs (Hi steven Jackson)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a massive contract going towards Rodgers (and a couple other guys) it has turned us into a draft and develop kind of team. TT isnt the type to sacrifice tomorrows cap for today, I guess some want us to go all in and then hit the reset button. Could that work? Maybe.

Members online

Latest posts