Matt Flynn

The Pain Train

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seriously it was again a great job by the scouting section but it is kind of frustrating that we are not getting any reward cause his contract is running up next year and there is little chance that he stays in GB cause he can be the starter some where else . is there anyway we can get something for him?

Reaction score
I could see a possible trade early in the season for future draft picks, but other than that, we might sign him to a short term contract to stay as a backup or so we could get some compensation for him leaving.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seriously it was again a great job by the scouting section but it is kind of frustrating that we are not getting any reward cause his contract is running up next year and there is little chance that he stays in GB cause he can be the starter some where else . is there anyway we can get something for him?

Ahh, I love misconceptions.

We will, in fact, get something for Matt Flynn if he leaves via free agency. Look up "Compensatory pick."

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you have to pay him a minimum of average top 5 or 10 QB salaries from this year? Which would be 10+ million.. no way.
thats why you franchise then trade him. SOMEONE will want a guy who can start, and it would get the Packers something in return, and by tagging him, TT can work a deal to get something like the DL that he traded to Cleveland a couple years ago (completely brainfarting on his name)

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea, but that is quite a lot of money for someone who hasn't started but 1 game in his career. Matt Cassell started an entire season.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats why you franchise then trade him. SOMEONE will want a guy who can start, and it would get the Packers something in return, and by tagging him, TT can work a deal to get something like the DL that he traded to Cleveland a couple years ago (completely brainfarting on his name)

The guy you are referring to is Corey Williams. But, I do hope we get something good out of it, should we happen to not keep him around after this year. Maybe even a 2nd Round Pick or something like that. Too early to tell.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, but that is quite a lot of money for someone who hasn't started but 1 game in his career. Matt Cassell started an entire season.

If you franchise them and plan on trading him, the Packers won't be on the hook for the salary. And most tag-n-trades can also include a new contract.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesnt seem clear if they will indeed get a comp pick since he isnt a starter.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
On the other hand, they just cut Harrell, didn't they? We don't have too many options at QB if Aaron gets whacked.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's one more game than any rookie QB who gets taken first overall in the draft.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy you are referring to is Corey Williams. But, I do hope we get something good out of it, should we happen to not keep him around after this year. Maybe even a 2nd Round Pick or something like that. Too early to tell.

thanks, tells how much of an impact he's made since he was in GB LOL

I think we'll get something for him, QB play is going to be horrible outside the top 10-12 QB's this year, he's going to be in demand. I'd be happy to get a 2nd or 3rd&5th for him next offseason.