Matt Flynn, could he go to the Vikings?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just daydreaming about what the Vikings are going to do when Favre is finished playing. Then I just thought about how good Matt Flynn looked in preseason the last couple seasons. He has been the understudy mentored by MM in a West Coast System. Vikings have a small history of acquiring former Packer players run a West Coast offense...I have no idea how many years are left on Matt Flynn's contract, but as familiar as he is with the system, would the Packers resign him? Franchise Tag him? or draft another QB? Allow him to get signed by someone else? How much would that suck if Flynn got sent to the Vikings...a potential starter & former BCS Championship MVP...just thought it would be an interesting topic, trying to distract myself from Monday Night Loss

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slim to none, unless he just gets cut. However, there is no chance in hell we just release him. With a lot of teams needing a QB (Buffalo, Jacksonville, Carolina, San Francisco off the top of my head), I imagine we'd trade him somewhere outside the division, especially if he's as good as people say he is.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would have a better chance of happening if we had more than 2 on the active roster. Yet I still don't like the idea of trading him.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't like the thought of trading him either. Our back up is supposed to be good, even if he doesn't get to play too much. Plus Rodgers has been a decent teacher to him. I also doubt the Packers would let him play for the Vikings, and I would find it fricking hilarious if they did. It shows how good the Packers actually are, if our back up QB is good material and our 4th and 5th wide outs are as good as other teams 2nd and 3rd if not 1rst, we at least are prepared.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Why not trade him? Who says he doesn't ask for too much money? Then we just release him and get nothing for him. I say we offer him and maybe a late round pick to the Bills for Lynch and one of their backup QBs (Brohm back??).

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we traded him we'd still need another decent backup QB in case God forbid, Rogers gets injured. We don't want to be messin with a 3rd string QB late in the season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, we're not trading Flynn during the season. That would be ridiculous. Any trade would come when his contract is up, and not a moment before.

Next, we still have Graham Harrell on our practice squad, who I expect will take Flynn's place someday.

Finally, at some point we'll have to do something with Flynn. He deserves a chance to play in this league, not to sit as our backup, and his salary is going to go up the longer he's on the roster. Eventually it's going to cost us more to keep him than a backup is worth, and I expect someone will need him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not trade him? Who says he doesn't ask for too much money? Then we just release him and get nothing for him. I say we offer him and maybe a late round pick to the Bills for Lynch and one of their backup QBs (Brohm back??).

Is this for real?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland still needs a QB, .... just a thought, don't know if that would work for us.

I would NOT trade him to the Vikings, don't trade within the division!!! McNabb anyone????

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise him?!?!?!

Paying him $7 million dollars next season seems a little desperate, even more so than trading for lynch.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have Flynn until 2012, when he's due to be a free agent anyway. I imagine we'll entertain offers from any number of teams after this season at the earliest, though more than likely it would be after next season. Cleveland, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Oakland, Carolina, and Arizona are all places that have a high probability of a need. Possibility even Tennessee, depending on how VY does next season. I doubt we'll let him go to any of our division rivals though. That would be flat out stupid.

As for trading him for a running back this year, I see that as an awful big gamble to take. Lets not forget we still have Starks on the PUP list too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts