Masthay

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packers Notes has another good read, this one titled, “Masthay Could Get Booted”
If Tim Masthay has another poor game on Thursday and if the Giants release Steve Weatherford – two big ifs – it wouldn’t be a shock to see the 10-year vet take over as Green Bay’s punter.
According to the article Weatherford, who is in a battle with a younger, cheaper punter, played for special teams coordinator Ron Zook at Illinois in 2005. (That could be a plus or a minus!)
Considered a very good bad weather punter and an excellent holder, Weatherford averaged 45.5 yards (38.6 yards net) on 80 punts for the Giants last season. He has career averages of 44.5 and 37.8. Masthay, who signed with the Packers in 2010, averaged 44.1 yards (37.0 yards net) on 49 punts last season. He has career averages of 44.3 and 38.6.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/09/masthay-could-get-booted/

He's 32 but I don't think that's much of a concern. Obviously "good bad weather punter and an excellent holder" are just what the Packers need. The article goes onto to say if Masthay has another crappy game Thursday he may be gone even if Weatherford isn't available.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Giants cut punter Robert Malone yesterday, Weatherford's competition. So my excitement about Weatherford just took a cold shower. :eek:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to The Big Unit today and he was apparently at practice yesterday and freaking Masthay would take the snap...fake the punt and put it in the ***** machine to actually "kick it" I tried to defend him and be as optimistic as I could but enough is enough. Get the hell rid of him if his awful leg is too tired to punt in practice.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a high school or junior college team taking that approach and it works for them. Don't see that happening in the NFL though.
That would be coach Kelley from Pulaski Academy in Little Rock Arkansas. Along with not punting he also almost always kicks onside.

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/st...oach-punt-celebrates-innovative-mind-football
I don't think that makes any sense as it would mean, for example, going for a 4th and 10 or more at their own 15 yard line. What may make sense is going for it on fourth downs more often - for example when they're on the opponent's side of the field.

Masthay seems to have the 'yips' like Mason Crosby did in 2012 - and a few golfers and baseball players who just can't seem to 'get out of their own way'. McCarthy and staff's patience with Crosby paid off; they may be thinking along those same lines with Masthay. No matter, it's probably too late to address it this season but next off season I hope they do more than just bringing in another leg...
While I agree it wouldn't make sense to forgo punting in some situations, it is interesting to note several NFL head coaches have contacted Kelley along with Falcons asst. GM Scott Pioli to discuss his aggressive strategy and the success (multiple state championships) he's had with it. At the very least many in the NFL have taken note.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-brain-of-high-school-coach-who-never-punts/

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to The Big Unit today and he was apparently at practice yesterday and freaking Masthay would take the snap...fake the punt and put it in the ***** machine to actually "kick it" I tried to defend him and be as optimistic as I could but enough is enough. Get the hell rid of him if his awful leg is too tired to punt in practice.
and when they go inside do work on individual special teams with just the kick, punt and long snap, maybe they kick forever, or maybe they sip umbrella drinks in the hot tub. This team seems to be the type to really break things down, so I wouldn't be surprised that he's working on kicking mainly on his own because of whatever mechanics issues they said they tried to change and are changing back or something.

I still think they're crappy reasons, but I'm sure they have them. I doubt he's just not kicking

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised we do not seem to be bringing in other punters? I have wondered for some time if maybe Masthay just does not have the leg strength and so pushes himself too hard. Harder than he is capable of. I realize there may be some punters as the rosters get shorter but we could get lucky and then we would have someone with experience in the system.
it honestly blows my mind that he is still the punter and we haven't even seen another punter brought on to make it a competition. The punting he did vs the Eagles was some of the worst I have seen and I really think we need a new punter

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So did Masthay do enough last night to secure his job and squelch talk of needing to get rid of him? I'm "afraid" that he did for now and only hope that he stays out of his "no hang time/short punt funk". I guess there will be enough street punters out there mid season if needed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't foresee any changes there. I'd like a better punter, or maybe I should say, I'd like more out of the punting position. I don't care who it is. He can obviously be plenty good enough, he had a nice one last night and another downed at the 8? i think. but it's just the consistency, because he had some that were not so good. And of course at least 1 was almost blocked and i'm sure that affects him some.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid none of them would present a significant upgrade over Masthay, even if he struggles again.
yeah, they aren't going to dump Masthay unless someone that can completely blow the doors off is available. or unless Masthay can't get off a 30 yard punt anymore

D

Deleted member 6794

yeah, they aren't going to dump Masthay unless someone that can completely blow the doors off is available. or unless Masthay can't get off a 30 yard punt anymore

Masthay's performance was decent yesterday, the short punt was a result of bad blocking. He will be the Packers punter to start the season but has to be more consistent than last season to hold on to it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and when they go inside do work on individual special teams with just the kick, punt and long snap, maybe they kick forever, or maybe they sip umbrella drinks in the hot tub. This team seems to be the type to really break things down, so I wouldn't be surprised that he's working on kicking mainly on his own because of whatever mechanics issues they said they tried to change and are changing back or something.

I still think they're crappy reasons, but I'm sure they have them. I doubt he's just not kicking

You think maybe he was told to do that by the coaches. I kinda think maybe he was.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If everybody does their jobs properly, we shouldn`t have to worry about the Punter anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

Giants cut punter Robert Malone yesterday, Weatherford's competition. So my excitement about Weatherford just took a cold shower. :eek:

According to Rand Getlin (NFL Network) the Giants have released Steve Weatherford.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think maybe he was told to do that by the coaches. I kinda think maybe he was.
do what? I'm sure all of his practice stuff is a direct result of what the coaches have planned for him

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do what? I'm sure all of his practice stuff is a direct result of what the coaches have planned for him

Sorry, my mistake. I quoted the wrong post. I meant to respond to 7thfloorRA ,like you did, who was ripping him for using the jugs machine.

must read more carefully in the future.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, my mistake. I quoted the wrong post. I meant to respond to 7thfloorRA ,like you did, who was ripping him for using the jugs machine.

Naughty step now !!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dammit sschind, be more careful! :)