Masthay

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time we cut the presumed starting punter at the start of the season was Jon Ryan. It was a terrible decision.
Ryan at his worst at least had a decent leg. Masthay's punts since the middle of last year have been short with little to no hangtime. Simply not acceptable at the NFL level.

With that being said it puts the Packers in an even tougher position with a struggling special teams unit to have to adjust to a new punter and holder going into the regular season if someone is picked up after roster cuts.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised we do not seem to be bringing in other punters? I have wondered for some time if maybe Masthay just does not have the leg strength and so pushes himself too hard. Harder than he is capable of. I realize there may be some punters as the rosters get shorter but we could get lucky and then we would have someone with experience in the system.

I keep hoping he'll figure it out and return to form, but it doesn't appear to be happening. I'm waiting to see what punters become available after the first round of cuts, and if Ted is ready to move on......

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go with the theory that he is purposely punting short in pre season to get the coaches a look at the coverage unit. I think he got out of sync last year because for a while he never punted in games as it was score...score..score...score. There was at least 1 game he never punted in IIRC.

H

HardRightEdge

Know of any established two-step, quick get-off, high average and hang-time, inside-the-20 punters out there who are also skilled at holding for the kicker?
Those guys have jobs. The alternatives are unproven young guys or other guys like Masthay who might have been decent in the past but have recently lost their stroke. I suppose a decent punter with a relatively hefty salary will get cut as a cap casualty. Cap considerations are more in play now at this time of year than pre-2011, with cap carryover a consideration. A good punter will demand a decent paycheck, and will probably get one from one of the other 30 teams. Thompson is not going pay up for a punter.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am going to go with the theory that he is purposely punting short in pre season to get the coaches a look at the coverage unit. I think he got out of sync last year because for a while he never punted in games as it was score...score..score...score. There was at least 1 game he never punted in IIRC.

I wish this was the case, but seriously doubt coaches are asking him to intentionally punt short with no hang time, something he already perfected last season. I also don't buy the theory that he stunk last season because he didn't punt a lot. He still punted in practice to stay in rhythm. If anything, the fewer times he was called upon in games, he should have had a really fresh leg and boomed his punts.

I was hoping it was a technique/mental issue that would be straightened out in the off season and preseason, but it sure is starting to look like the Packers have a decision to make between a familiar holder with below average punting skills or giving someone else the job and see what happens.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep the pressure on the opposing defense and just don't punt ever. Accept the few times your defense has to defend a short field versus sustaining many more.

D

Deleted member 6794

Keep the pressure on the opposing defense and just don't punt ever. Accept the few times your defense has to defend a short field versus sustaining many more.

I think there's a high school or junior college team taking that approach and it works for them. Don't see that happening in the NFL though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a high school or junior college team taking that approach and it works for them. Don't see that happening in the NFL though.

I see Tampa bay let their punter go. Don't know if he's any good or not, but hopefully Ted knows.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think that makes any sense as it would mean, for example, going for a 4th and 10 or more at their own 15 yard line. What may make sense is going for it on fourth downs more often - for example when they're on the opponent's side of the field.

Masthay seems to have the 'yips' like Mason Crosby did in 2012 - and a few golfers and baseball players who just can't seem to 'get out of their own way'. McCarthy and staff's patience with Crosby paid off; they may be thinking along those same lines with Masthay. No matter, it's probably too late to address it this season but next off season I hope they do more than just bringing in another leg...

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Miami let Brandon Fields go today. They opted to save money and go with a rookie with a lot of potential.

I hope TT is watching the waiver wire, Fields is a Pro Bowl punter with great accuracy as well as career stats.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami let Brandon Fields go today. They opted to save money and go with a rookie with a lot of potential.

I hope TT is watching the waiver wire, Fields is a Pro Bowl punter with great accuracy as well as career stats.

Can he punt well in cold weather? This isn't Miami, so that might be important.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can he punt well in cold weather? This isn't Miami, so that might be important.

Fields had a mediocre season in 2014 after being a mostly great punter during his career. I have no idea about his ability to punt in cold weather but he's definitely worth a look.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fields grew up in Michigan and played at Michigan State, so I would think he knows what kicking in cold weather is all about. Even in his "down year" last year he was a top 12 Punter (depending on what stats you look at, was even lower). He averaged 46.3 yards per kick last year, net of 38.6. In comparison, Masthay was ranked around 30th and as we all know, very inconsistent.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As JBlood pointed out, the Packers punted fewer times than any other team last season, about 3 times per game. So I think the calculation for Thompson is to weigh the improvement another punter would offer vs. the possibility of ******** up Crosby who is (fingers crossed) kicking extremely well so far this off season. At least that's what I think the calculation should be. But Thompson may not be contemplating bringing in another punter at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fields grew up in Michigan and played at Michigan State, so I would think he knows what kicking in cold weather is all about. Even in his "down year" last year he was a top 12 Punter (depending on what stats you look at, was even lower). He averaged 46.3 yards per kick last year, net of 38.6. In comparison, Masthay was ranked around 30th and as we all know, very inconsistent.

PFF had Fields ranked as the 23rd punter last season while he was constantly in the top 10 during his time with the Dolphins. As I've said before he may be worth taking a look at.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as a fan, I'd like our punting game to be much better, but as always the question is at what potential cost? a few field goals? putting Crosby in a funk? I think Masthay has stunk up the joint, and I'd like someone else to get a shot, but i'm not sure that it's the best decision at this point. Or maybe those 10 yds average of field position are the difference betweeen a #20 defensive ranking or #10? another reason I'm glad i'm not the GM

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed on the decision of changing punters is tied to the fact that Masthay holds for kicks, but I sure hope the Packers have a contingency plan for another holder in the event Masthay gets hurt (yes slight risk) or Masthay stays in the tank and TT is forced into bringing in a new punter mid season. Fields btw was also the Dolphins holder.

D

Deleted member 6794

As JBlood pointed out, the Packers punted fewer times than any other team last season, about 3 times per game. So I think the calculation for Thompson is to weigh the improvement another punter would offer vs. the possibility of ******** up Crosby who is (fingers crossed) kicking extremely well so far this off season. At least that's what I think the calculation should be. But Thompson may not be contemplating bringing in another punter at all.

I think too much emphasis is being put on the punter holding the ball on field goals because Mandell was really bad at it. Most punters are capable of doing it quite well and Crosby should be able to get into rhythm with a new guy pretty fast.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think too much emphasis is being put on the punter holding the ball on field goals because Mandell was really bad at it. Most punters are capable of doing it quite well and Crosby should be able to get into rhythm with a new guy pretty fast.
I would hope that's the case but as Mondio posted, the risk is ******** up Crosby's confidence. Remember the Crosby of 2012? That season wasn't the result of a physical problem. I don't think Masthay's inconsistency (as a punter) are either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hate to get so hung up on a Punter, but we could use all the help we can get on special teams right now. A punter can make or break you on field position and from my recollection from last year and so far this preseason, Masthay isn't the punter he once was when it comes to helping us gain that edge. A few short no hang time punts in a game can cost you not only a lot of yards, but eventually a game.

Crosby is a seasoned veteran, he can figure out a new holder and it won't be the end of his world. Masthay was in his 3rd year as being the holder for Crosby in 2012, so not sure you can pin his struggles that year on a new holder.

Personally, I would much rather see Tolzien holding for potential longevity of the same holder as well as having the right guy in there for a fake. I know this won't happen due to status quo and practice reps being less when you use a back up QB as your holder.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd hope so too, but they have some reason for not bringing in another punter. I'm just hanging ideas out there. Maybe they just thinkg Masthay will work thru it too? I don't know, but I do know he hasn't been good for a while and we could use the upgrade.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would hope that's the case but as Mondio posted, the risk is ******** up Crosby's confidence. Remember the Crosby of 2012? That season wasn't the result of a physical problem. I don't think Masthay's inconsistency (as a punter) are either.

I agree that a lot of troubles in the kicking game are mental ones. Masthay has to get out of his slump pretty fast because IMO being a reliable holder on field goals doesn't warrant keeping him on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers haven't said much publicly about Masthay and this "slump". You have to think that it is mental, not physical, or he would be gone. Also, they must be seeing promising signs of him coming out of it (at practice) to wait him out this long.

Members online

Latest posts