Mark Tauscher

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jumping the gun much, gents?

Tausch is done. He won't be coming back this season and with so long out at the age he is nobody will pick him up. As for Barbre, yeah, he had a poor performance. It was also his first start and he was up against a pretty good and experienced DE. More, he got his act together after the half was over.

Barbre played the worst out of the offense that night, sure. But the offense as a whole underperformed. It was the left side which missed the blitz which ended in a safety. Spitz and Sitton both had drive-ending penalties. Five passes were dropped, four for first downs and altogether about 100 yards worth of offense through the hands of our receivers, and an early TD throw was overthrown. The GB offense made all the critical errors at all the wrong times. Even the final few plays were error-ridden. Dropped ball by Nelson followed by Jennings lining up wrong followed by the entire line playing the wrong protection.

This doesn't mean we have to throw out the offense or any particular piece even. It means we have to not play sloppy. The offense needs to shake the early jitters and keep to the fundamentals. If any one piece of that problem played to expectation that game would not have been close. But that's a Bears game for you and everyone here should know that unless you've already forgotten 2007 or the final regular season game of 2006.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't go through the whole thread, but I think I agree with Hobbes09. There is a reason Tauscher isn't on a team now. I think the injury will keep him out all year. He MIGHT catch on with a team as a backup who hopes he gets better at the end of the season.
And after that, no way TT brings him back in. He was one of my favorite Packers, but his time with the team is done. I think our O-line can be solid this year, but it'll take some time to gel. Hopefully they do that in the next couple of weeks.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jumping the gun much, gents?

Tausch is done. He won't be coming back this season and with so long out at the age he is nobody will pick him up. As for Barbre, yeah, he had a poor performance. It was also his first start and he was up against a pretty good and experienced DE. More, he got his act together after the half was over.

Barbre played the worst out of the offense that night, sure. But the offense as a whole underperformed. It was the left side which missed the blitz which ended in a safety. Spitz and Sitton both had drive-ending penalties. Five passes were dropped, four for first downs and altogether about 100 yards worth of offense through the hands of our receivers, and an early TD throw was overthrown. The GB offense made all the critical errors at all the wrong times. Even the final few plays were error-ridden. Dropped ball by Nelson followed by Jennings lining up wrong followed by the entire line playing the wrong protection.

This doesn't mean we have to throw out the offense or any particular piece even. It means we have to not play sloppy. The offense needs to shake the early jitters and keep to the fundamentals. If any one piece of that problem played to expectation that game would not have been close. But that's a Bears game for you and everyone here should know that unless you've already forgotten 2007 or the final regular season game of 2006.

We'll see if you continue to hold this position IF Green Bay loses a playoff game or the NFCCG because it cannot run the ball/pass protect consistently well.

I really don't like subscribing to the philosophy that continues to permeate Packer Nation seemingly perennially which is that the players we have at any given point in time are the ONLY players capable of playing for Green Bay - regardless of wins or losses in any given season.

I'd like us all to demand a bit better product in terms of an offensive line that can play well, consistently. If you're honest with yerself, you'll see this is the one area that hampers our progress.

Furthermore, it's no fun in terms of being involved in the fight when I voice my concern about the offensive line (which I have done since preseason of 2005) and then be told like a scolded school boy that no, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with our offensive line. Many of the players we have on the O-line were drafted by Ted Thompson and as a result, were the best options available at that time AND the present time - regardless of statistics. Green Bay ran for 76 yards at a 3.5 YPC clip and this was at home against a defense that lost TWO starting LB's throughout the course of the game.

Why must we continue to be rebuked for stating such obvious facts? Why do we continue to be told our offensive line is fine and doesn't need tweaking, or worse, shouldn't be tweaked with quality starters because some genius decided a few years ago that dominating O-lineman are a dime a dozen and can be found often as undrafted FA's and late-round selections??? Again, TT's had FIVE years to assemble a consistent O-line and while he hasn't failed, he certainly doesn't deserve a grade better than a "C". Also, I find it troubling when other teams' 1st and 2nd round picks are expected to start day one, except when those picks are performed by TT - then the battle cry is much different - 3-5 years before we can expect a solid starter. It's truly remarkable the amount of kool-aid that is being ingested. It would be nice to get to a point where we're all comfortable and honest enough to be able to criticize Packers' brass in a reasonable way.

I'm telling you guys that since 2005 our O-line has sucked - it isn't to the level we've come to expect when Wolf and Holmgren ran the show. A dominant offensive line is the main ingredient to a Super Bowl winner. Why are we ignoring such an obvious fact? Why does it hurt people's feelings to find holes in TT's game? Is it a lack of security that's behind it all???

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree! The offencive line has not been consistent. MM has stated for the last 3 years that we don't have a problem. I'm afraid this might come back to bite him in the @ss! TT can ignore free agency all he wants, but if we had any veteran backups on the bench we would not be facing the problem we are now. If Barbre can't turn his game around,who do we have on the bench? Is Giocamini any better?

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see if you continue to hold this position IF Green Bay loses a playoff game or the NFCCG because it cannot run the ball/pass protect consistently well.

If we cannot pass protect then chances are we won't make it to any playoffs. And no kidding I won't hold my position. But that game there wasn't a problem with any one person in particular. Our offense as a whole blew it until two players managed to get it right on the last drive.

I really don't like subscribing to the philosophy that continues to permeate Packer Nation seemingly perennially which is that the players we have at any given point in time are the ONLY players capable of playing for Green Bay - regardless of wins or losses in any given season.

I'd like us all to demand a bit better product in terms of an offensive line that can play well, consistently. If you're honest with yerself, you'll see this is the one area that hampers our progress.
Alright, who do we get? Who is available right now that would better this line? Or if it's a trade, who do we give up? Then how long do you think it will take for that new member to grow accustomed to or schemes?

Right now there's no better options. That may not hold true for next offseason, but there's nobody necessarily better available, we'd have to give up a lot to get someone good and they'd be playing a ton of catch-up should someone come in this late.

Furthermore, it's no fun in terms of being involved in the fight when I voice my concern about the offensive line (which I have done since preseason of 2005) and then be told like a scolded school boy that no, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with our offensive line. Many of the players we have on the O-line were drafted by Ted Thompson and as a result, were the best options available at that time AND the present time - regardless of statistics. Green Bay ran for 76 yards at a 3.5 YPC clip and this was at home against a defense that lost TWO starting LB's throughout the course of the game.
When the LBs went out our running game took big advantage of it. But we still couldn't sustain drives with all the other problems.

Why must we continue to be rebuked for stating such obvious facts? Why do we continue to be told our offensive line is fine and doesn't need tweaking, or worse, shouldn't be tweaked with quality starters because some genius decided a few years ago that dominating O-lineman are a dime a dozen and can be found often as undrafted FA's and late-round selections???
Ok, how should we tweak it? Who should we get right now? Tauscher, the guy with the blown knee who wouldn't be able to come in until at least midway through the season?

Again, TT's had FIVE years to assemble a consistent O-line and while he hasn't failed, he certainly doesn't deserve a grade better than a "C".
Based on what? 2005 and to an extent 06 were throwaway seasons due to the salary mess Sherman left us with, 07 the line performed great, 08 the line was beaten to shreds before the season ever even started and 09 we've had all of one game to judge by in which even the best players on the line had miscues. Judge the game, fine, but it's way too early to call for an alarm.

Also, I find it troubling when other teams' 1st and 2nd round picks are expected to start day one, except when those picks are performed by TT - then the battle cry is much different - 3-5 years before we can expect a solid starter. It's truly remarkable the amount of kool-aid that is being ingested. It would be nice to get to a point where we're all comfortable and honest enough to be able to criticize Packers' brass in a reasonable way.
Ok, this was random. But alright, would you rather have a team that could slow the game down for it's players in needed spots or a team that just stuck them in as starters and hoped for the best?

I'm telling you guys that since 2005 our O-line has sucked - it isn't to the level we've come to expect when Wolf and Holmgren ran the show. A dominant offensive line is the main ingredient to a Super Bowl winner. Why are we ignoring such an obvious fact? Why does it hurt people's feelings to find holes in TT's game? Is it a lack of security that's behind it all???
More like there's nothing to do about it right now and we blew most of the offseason attempting to fix up the bigger cause for concern - the defense. And really, the line is too much of an unknown to judge right now. You can point out the bad game against the Bears and I can point out the fact that Bears games never represent the season as well as the fact that the line performed phenomenally in preseason and training camp. You can point out 2008 and I can point out the musical chairs the line was forced to perform. Getting all worked up about a week one divisional game which was played sloppily and yet was still won isn't going to help anyone.

Lastly, I'd like to point to you another sloppy week one game by the offense. 2007 vs. the Eagles. How indicative was that?

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bring back Tauscher.

Hobbes and Ted Thompson, be damned. The Packers need him.

Is it because of Ted Thompson's ego that he won't ask for help? Does signing someone that he hasn't drafted have some kind on negative effect on Thompson, or is it just the idea of free agency that makes him queasy?

I just don't get that guy.

(And the line in '07 was not that great either. Favre was getting 3 seconds or less to get rid of the ball. The running game was non-existent for 7 games. It was awful, yet Favre found a way to win. That's what I remember.)

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT wont bring Tauscher back ,, he didnt pick him ... TT olny wants the team he picks ,, hents Brett getting pushed out the door ... thats why i say this team is no longer the green bay packers ,, its become the green bay ted thompsons ... the packers big problem stem from TT ... the team your watching is mainly TTs guys ... they may be young ,, but i believe its due to the constant trading down for more picks .. we arent getting that 1 player that makes a difference ,, were getting all the slop in the middle ... and when TT does take a high pick ,, he picks guys like justin hairl ( BUST ) ... so as you can see our issue is TT ... I miss Ron Wolf ,, that guy cared about the fans ... TT doesnt care in the least what the fans or share holders think or want ... infact TT is that corprate swine .. he lives by the ideal that he has to answer to no one ... TT is the biggest turd on earth .. he is running this team in the dirt ... if we have 1 more loosing season void of playoffs TT needs to go ... im sorry i believe the fans have payed enough ,, just to get crapped on by TT ... now that i think of it the only players that seem to be wanting to make plays are the few guys left that TT didnt pick DD ,, WOODSON ,, AL harris just to name a few ... as i see it TT olny made one solid pick RODGERS and im sure he will have a leg broken by week 6 at this rate ... the future isnt brite for this team ... im not writing them off ,, but i assure you i dont see the pack in the playoffs or even with a better record than last year ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TT wont bring Tauscher back ,, he didnt pick him ... TT olny wants the team he picks ,, hents Brett getting pushed out the door ... thats why i say this team is no longer the green bay packers ,, its become the green bay ted thompsons ... the packers big problem stem from TT ... the team your watching is mainly TTs guys ... they may be young ,, but i believe its due to the constant trading down for more picks .. we arent getting that 1 player that makes a difference ,, were getting all the slop in the middle ... and when TT does take a high pick ,, he picks guys like justin hairl ( BUST ) ... so as you can see our issue is TT ... I miss Ron Wolf ,, that guy cared about the fans ... TT doesnt care in the least what the fans or share holders think or want ... infact TT is that corprate swine .. he lives by the ideal that he has to answer to no one ... TT is the biggest turd on earth .. he is running this team in the dirt ... if we have 1 more loosing season void of playoffs TT needs to go ... im sorry i believe the fans have payed enough ,, just to get crapped on by TT ... now that i think of it the only players that seem to be wanting to make plays are the few guys left that TT didnt pick DD ,, WOODSON ,, AL harris just to name a few ... as i see it TT olny made one solid pick RODGERS and im sure he will have a leg broken by week 6 at this rate ... the future isnt brite for this team ... im not writing them off ,, but i assure you i dont see the pack in the playoffs or even with a better record than last year ...

If your comment wasn't so far off base people might agree with you. I.E Ted has re-signed NUMEROUS players he did not draft or bring in.

Stop with the stupid a@@ nit picking on Ted when this is a thread about Mark

Here is a hint to help you along,...If you want to rant about Ted go for it in another thread, but stop cluttering up posts that have NOTHING to do with the original topic

Thanks

:rules2:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bring back Tauscher.

Hobbes and Ted Thompson, be damned. The Packers need him.

Is it because of Ted Thompson's ego that he won't ask for help? Does signing someone that he hasn't drafted have some kind on negative effect on Thompson, or is it just the idea of free agency that makes him queasy?

I just don't get that guy.

(And the line in '07 was not that great either. Favre was getting 3 seconds or less to get rid of the ball. The running game was non-existent for 7 games. It was awful, yet Favre found a way to win. That's what I remember.)

Mark is coming off surgery and he can't even pass a physical yet

His original time to return was something like middle of October

I am sure the thought has been on the minds of the coaches there..

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Mark Tauscher is the answer for the Pack. They just need to keep a TE and a RB in at all times to help block until the OL can hold their own.

Mark will be rusty and he is coming off an injury. I love Mark and all but he will not be the same guy from year's past.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark T. is not the answer. He is coming off surgery and has no time to get into shape. Look at Barnett, he was pull out of the game. Those kinds of injuries take time to overcome, and the Pack has no time.

This is a dead issue.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe getting Jackson back into the line up will help the O-line out more than trying to get Tausher back. We need the short yards to move the chains, Grant goes down when he gets a hand on him, Jackson has more of the ability to gain yards after contact. If we can get a short yardage running game going, alot of these O-line problems would be gone.

The answer maybe that simple. Whats that word that MM over uses, "FUNDAMENTALS". MM has advanced his play book faster than what his team is able to do at this time. Fundamentals was what teams were focussing on in the preseason while MM was using the big play book. Everyone else was sharpening their fundamentals and we were playing a real game.

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe getting Jackson back into the line up will help the O-line out more than trying to get Tausher back. We need the short yards to move the chains, Grant goes down when he gets a hand on him, Jackson has more of the ability to gain yards after contact. If we can get a short yardage running game going, alot of these O-line problems would be gone.
I don't get how you think Brandon Jackson gets more yards after contact when Grant is specifically built to truck, while Jackson is more of an elusive back. Elusive backs juke people, they don't run them over.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grant needs a hole to get through and has a big burst in the secondary. He's more of a cut back runner, and not a juker.

Sort of like Dorsey Levens but without the moves, hands, or talent.

He can rip one off though, if you give him a hole. Which this offensive line can't do.

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant needs a hole to get through and has a big burst in the secondary. He's more of a cut back runner, and not a juker.

Sort of like Dorsey Levens but without the moves, hands, or talent.

He can rip one off though, if you give him a hole. Which this offensive line can't do.
Well I feel like the only way Brandon Jackson could run differently than grant is to the outside. If grant could run up the middle with a decent sized hole he could be a very good back.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could be calling a lot more screens to ease the rush on the line too, but MM is too incompetent to realize that. And don't put the blame only on the runners. When was the last time we called a Wr screen? All I see are dumb shotgun draws from 2nd and long. We clearly have flaws with the OL. We need to win DESPITE of that. It's that simple. Great coaches are the ones who can overcome some lack of quality, and focus on the quality the team already have.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how you think Brandon Jackson gets more yards after contact when Grant is specifically built to truck, while Jackson is more of an elusive back. Elusive backs juke people, they don't run them over.

I didn't say Jackson is going to run them over. Contact being a hand or the hole closing up and bouncing off. Like you said Jackson is more elusive. If we had a dominating O-line then Grant makes sense, we don't so we need more of Jacksons style. Grants truck like style is after he has gotten 5 yards and head of steam, I am talking about the first 5 yards.

Thats where I believe Tyrell Sutton skill set fit this O-line better than any of the backs we kept. If you had a great O-line Sutton would not be best back to take advantage of the good O-lines blocking, but a O-line that is struggling Suttons elusiveness helps alot in the short yardage game.

The short yardage game I am talking about is not when it is 3rd and inches and we line up to run but 1st and 10 and we get 2 to 4 yards, seting up 2nd and 8 or 3rd and 4 . These kind of yards are not exciting, but takes some pressure off the the O-line. When the defense knows you can run or pass to make the 1st down, advantage goes to the offense. When the defense knows you have to pass, advantage to defense and your O-line pays the price.

MM has to play within himself. We don't have that great of a O-line to gamble on these big pass plays early, setting ourselves up to 3rd and long to many times.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your comment wasn't so far off base people might agree with you. I.E Ted has re-signed NUMEROUS players he did not draft or bring in.

Stop with the stupid a@@ nit picking on Ted when this is a thread about Mark

Here is a hint to help you along,...If you want to rant about Ted go for it in another thread, but stop cluttering up posts that have NOTHING to do with the original topic

Thanks

:rules2:

ohh my bad your right..:happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts