Marcus Davenport

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Why would that put it to an end?

Has Davenport been disappointing? Yeah, he has. But it's been two days of practice. Two. Days. He has not been the best player, but he still is one of the top prospects there. He has the tools, it's just whether he and a coaching staff can put them together. Interesting point there though, for the most part, Davenport rushes from a 2 pt stance...at the SR Bowl they've been having him come out of a 3 pt stance most of the time. I think that makes an impact. But yeah, he's been disappointing. Still a lot of game left though, to quote Nagler.

As an aside, Arden Key will not be going at #14. He hardly tried in college, and has mega off field issues. I'm scared to give him money. Great talent, but scares me like crazy.

It's over in the sense that Davenport probably will be pushed out of the top of the first round by the end of weekend. He needed to show well coming out of UTSA. I actually like Davenport as a developmental project but just not at 14 and certainly not top 10.

Arden Key loves football from what I hear. That is most important. The other stuff can be worked out and helped with. I know he is a head case but I don't care. He can get to the QB and that's what we need. Let Pettine work with him.

Alshon Jeffery is a head case and he is getting ready to play in the Super Bowl. Heck, Geronimo Allison is a head case for that matter. We're not trying to win an election here.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off field stuff matters if you can't get on the field. Josh Gordon, Aldon Smith come to mind.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can't claim to know the guy, but I wouldn't expect someone who loves football to leave his team for four months.

Key's issues remind me of Aaron Lynch. Hard pass for me.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The problem is the drop off after Key is significant IMO. Key looks "plug and play" based on talent. None of the other guys appear to be such a sure thing of that. So now you get into taking the best player at 14 or possibly reaching for an edge rusher a little.

I'm sure the Packers will do there due diligence regarding Key and see what's real but there is gonna be a chance in everything. At least we know the guy can play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I noticed that Zierlein's report on Davenport is actually up, you just can't see it when you sort by position because he's listed as an "EDGE" and that isn't a position category that's sortable.

In any case, he gives him a 5.82. The pro's are essentially what have been discussed-- long limbed, powerful, bull rush, etc. His main critique is consistency. Says he's currently a "flash player." Seems fair.

Ironically after all the hand wringing regarding his Sr. Bowl work thus far, he reportedly had a great day today. Here's what Galko of Optimum Scouting had to say:

With his buzz building leading up to Senior Bowl week, UTSA’s Marcus Davenport put together what could be considered his best day in Mobile Thursday. He was used as a standup rusher on the edge for the most part, and he displayed serious first step quickness in team drills. He also has shown off his impressive upper body strength and threw a lineman to the ground in 1 on 1’s. In addition, he has shown the ability to generate push with his bull rush and had an impressive dip and rip move to generate pressure during the tempo period.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we would of traded up for Harris we wouldn't be in the situation at edge rusher were in now. ;)

Harris had an average rookie season totaling only two sacks. I'm not sure the Packers would be in significant better shape at outside linebacker if they had drafted him.

Davenport might be an intriguing prospect but would possibly be a reach at #14.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aside, Arden Key will not be going at #14. He hardly tried in college, and has mega off field issues. I'm scared to give him money. Great talent, but scares me like crazy.

Here's the thing about Key. He's essentially the pass rush equivalent of Randy Moss. Lazy at times... takes plays off. Sounds familiar, right? But how many people here were clamoring for Moss when he was leaving Minnesota? If Key can do on the defensive side what Moss did on the offensive side, despite his issues, then draft him. He's a bang-or-bust prospect. I personally think his bang factor outweighs his bust factor. I would be fine with picking him, but I would also be fine with passing on him as long as he didn't end up the NFL sack leader for someone else.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing about Key. He's essentially the pass rush equivalent of Randy Moss. Lazy at times... takes plays off. Sounds familiar, right? But how many people here were clamoring for Moss when he was leaving Minnesota? If Key can do on the defensive side what Moss did on the offensive side, despite his issues, then draft him. He's a bang-or-bust prospect. I personally think his bang factor outweighs his bust factor. I would be fine with picking him, but I would also be fine with passing on him as long as he didn't end up the NFL sack leader for someone else.
It sure is a gamble. The problem is different than Moss. Key left the team. When he was injured he put on a bunch of weight. You have to question his commitment level. Now you are handing him a check for a few million. Is his commitment going to suddenly increase or is he going to start enjoying things he has only dreamed of?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

In terms of skill and talent, I don't think Key is anywhere near Moss.

Personally, I see guys like Key bust far more often than they pay off. The draft is a difficult proposition as it is.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of mocks still have Davenport going to us. I would think if he was really good; he would have outclassed people in that division. But he really did not have that many sacks. They say he is a project. I am hoping we don't draft on potential and upside this year. Even in the later rounds we can get good ballplayers that would help on special teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of mocks still have Davenport going to us. I would think if he was really good; he would have outclassed people in that division. But he really did not have that many sacks. They say he is a project. I am hoping we don't draft on potential and upside this year. Even in the later rounds we can get good ballplayers that would help on special teams.

The Packers should definitely pass on Davenport in the first round. He might present an intriguing option in the second though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said. I am hoping we don't go for intriguing options this time around. Just draft football players. No potential, just kinetic.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said. I am hoping we don't go for intriguing options this time around. Just draft football players. No potential, just kinetic.

Davenport might present the best value if he's still on the board with the Packers picking in the second round.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport might present the best value if he's still on the board with the Packers picking in the second round.
You may be right. He certainly has size. I don't want to do so much reaching in later rounds though. Get players who have been productive.

D

Deleted member 6794

You may be right. He certainly has size. I don't want to do so much reaching in later rounds though. Get players who have been productive.

I don't consider selecting Davenport in the second round as a reach though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I forgot to revisit this!

4.54 at 253. If you have trouble remembering, just note that it's the same number that Sutton posted, ;).

Thats a win. But how do you fit him into scheme and where does he play? Who's spot does he take or what spot do you create for him?

You need to have a scheme specific plan to match his attributes.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats a win. But how do you fit him into scheme and where does he play? Who's spot does he take or what spot do you create for him?

He's an inside coverage LB with the ability to rush the passer on A and B gap blitzes, plus the size to stop the run. Or he's a SAM.

Pretty easy to find a position for him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He plays inside linebacker next to Martinez and is used as a situational pass rusher/blitzer. Pretty simple projection. If they wanted, they could see how his traits would play as an OLB in odd front packages. But the ILB fit is easy and would always be a fall back. However, I still don't buy that he's there at #14.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I forgot to revisit this!

4.54 at 253. If you have trouble remembering, just note that it's the same number that Sutton posted, ;).
That was the pre-Combine time shown at nfldraftscout.com at the time.

I've mentioned this before but it might be worth repeating. I watch maybe two college games per yer. It just doesn't interest me. I've looked at a lot of tape in past years but I've pretty much given up on it. I think the only players I looked at this year were some quick takes on Key, Sutton and Davenport and that was quite a while ago. The time expended is just not worth it for me, looking at dozens of players among whom the Packers may pick none.

I suppose if one were into fantasy football, knowlege of players not chosen by the Packers would have residual value. I don't do fantasy football.

I'll look at the tape of Packers selections after the draft and render opinions.

They need at least one corner, a WR, an edge rusher, a safety and an OG in roughly that priority. We'll see what happens.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That was the pre-Combine time shown at nfldraftscout.com at the time.

I've mentioned this before but it might be worth repeating. I watch maybe two college games per yer. It just doesn't interest me. I've looked at a lot of tape in past years but I've pretty much given up on it. I think the only players I looked at this year were some quick takes on Key, Sutton and Davenport and that was quite a while ago. The time expended is just not worth it for me, looking at dozens of players among whom the Packers may pick none.

I suppose if one were into fantasy football, knowlege of players not chosen by the Packers would have residual value. I don't do fantasy football.

I'll look at the tape of Packers selections after the draft and render opinions.

They need at least one corner, a WR, an edge rusher, a safety and an OG in roughly that priority. We'll see what happens.

:confused:?

You were sure talking like you had an authoritative, informed opinion on Edmunds.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

:confused:?

You were sure talking like you had an authoritative, informed opinion on Edmunds.
Like I said, if you bothered to read what's written, that's was my quick take on one of three players. Too raw for that pick. A reach.

I'll have other opinions after the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Like I said, if you bothered to read what's written, that's was my quick take on one of three players. Too raw for that pick. A reach.

I'll have other opinions after the draft.

Speaking of bothering to read, we’re talking about Edmunds, not Davenport.

Members online

Latest posts