Marcus Davenport

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I get around to finding any examples to the contrary, I will post them.

There's a few plays in the Miami game where he had excellent read and react plays coming out of his drops to break up passes.

Pass coverage is not a huge strength of his, but he has the tools to do so. We currently don't have an ILB who is good at pass defense, so it would be nice to get one. Edmunds, Smith, Vander Esch, those are good options.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

There's a few plays in the Miami game where he had excellent read and react plays coming out of his drops to break up passes.

Pass coverage is not a huge strength of his, but he has the tools to do so. We currently don't have an ILB who is good at pass defense, so it would be nice to get one. Edmunds, Smith, Vander Esch, those are good options.
Zone drops. That's nice. But if you're going to play off the line in the NFL, you have to run with backs and TEs.

I don't know why you guys are hung up on ILBs. That ship left port in the 2015 draft when we passed on Kendricks with Hawk in obvious decline and gone leading to a 2015 unmitigated mess at the position. Palmer? Really?

The position has been meaningfully upgraded. And when you talk about Smith it would seem you've thrown in the towel on Jones as the rotational speed element. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Zone drops. That's nice. But if you're going to play off the line in the NFL, you have to run with backs and TEs.

I don't know why you guys are hung up on ILBs. That ship left port in the 2015 draft when we passed on Kendricks with Hawk in obvious decline. Since then, the position has been upgraded. And when you talk about Smith it would seem you've thrown in the towel on Jones. I wouldn't do that.

I like Smith but after thinking about it for awhile your right about Jones. He just needs to continue to develop and he got thrown into a lot of different roles last year for a rookie. It will be interesting to see how Pettine uses him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't know why you guys are hung up on ILBs. That ship left port in the 2015 draft when we passed on Kendricks with Hawk in obvious decline and gone leading to a 2015 unmitigated mess at the position. Palmer? Really?

The position has been meaningfully upgraded. And when you talk about Smith it would seem you've thrown in the towel on Jones as the rotational speed element. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I’m hung up on really good prospects.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
A good 3-cone is always nice. But what happens if the guy runs a 4.8? He might look good against Richard Rodgers in practice.

If you haven't noticed I am not particularly high on Edmunds for some of the reasons you state at 14. He is a plugger that can bring wood and a coverage liability in the NFL

See Benardrick McKinney. Same deal. Pass.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see something where he actually runs with somebody, not just jumping a 5 yard slant with the QB staring down the receiver.

Very rarely do college teams use their LB's in man coverage these days.

What I've seen from him is the ability to flip his hips really well. He has good sideline speed. He has great length. With those skills/attributes, it's not hard to imagine him doing at the very least average in man coverage.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd like to see something where he actually runs with somebody, not just jumping a 5 yard slant with the QB staring down the receiver.

I didn't see him targeted in that situation in that game.

But are you purposefully trying to make less of that play? The QB starts his progression on the left and then comes around to #81. So he didn't stare anyone down. And that's a wide receiver that he's covering one-on-one in the slot. For a 250 lb linebacker to read and react like that fast enough to come up to break up the pass... that's not normal.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I didn't see him targeted in that situation in that game.

But are you purposefully trying to make less of that play? The QB starts his progression on the left and then comes around to #81. So he didn't stare anyone down. And that's a wide receiver that he's covering one-on-one in the slot. For a 250 lb linebacker to read and react like that fast enough to come up to break up the pass... that's not normal.
Dude. He jumped a 5 yard route. It tells me nothing about coverage ability in the NFL.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Very rarely do college teams use their LB's in man coverage these days.

What I've seen from him is the ability to flip his hips really well. He has good sideline speed. He has great length. With those skills/attributes, it's not hard to imagine him doing at the very least average in man coverage.
Well, we'll see what you say if runs a 4.8.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dude. He jumped a 5 yard route. It tells me nothing about coverage ability in the NFL.

So a linebacker lining up on a wide receiver in the slot and breaking up a slant tells you nothing about his coverage ability? That's really what you're telling me?

At :44 here he runs with the back on the wheel route. Unfortunately, it's broadcast tape. He's step for step while in frame. He does the same on the first snap of the Virginia game. And again at 8:03. He has single coverage against the TE at 9:08.

Man coverage was not something he was often asked to do, but he demonstrates the speed and agility for it when called upon. That's evident to me, watching him. However, we are not required to agree.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Back to Davenport, the jolt in his hands when he engages coupled with those long arms is very interesting. There's a lot that can be built on the foundation of power and length.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Davenport, the jolt in his hands when he engages coupled with those long arms is very interesting. There's a lot that can be built on the foundation of power and length.

He's got a surprising amount of power. Just needs to develop a counter move and increase his hand usage.

His motor, size and length are all really impressive to me. I have to look more in depth on him, but I think he looks good.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

So a linebacker lining up on a wide receiver in the slot and breaking up a slant tells you nothing about his coverage ability? That's really what you're telling me?

At :44 here he runs with the back on the wheel route. Unfortunately, it's broadcast tape. He's step for step while in frame. He does the same on the first snap of the Virginia game. And again at 8:03. He has single coverage against the TE at 9:08.

Man coverage was not something he was often asked to do, but he demonstrates the speed and agility for it when called upon. That's evident to me, watching him. However, we are not required to agree.
Jumping a 5 yd. route in a highlight tape does not tell you what's important. The first two of those clips suggest he might have the needed speed. We'll see at the Combine.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He's got a surprising amount of power. Just needs to develop a counter move and increase his hand usage.

His motor, size and length are all really impressive to me. I have to look more in depth on him, but I think he looks good.

Well I definitely like Davenport over Edmunds if it came down to it. There just appears more to work with at next level. My main issue with Davenport is I don't see enough burst with his first step and lack of second move. The second move can be developed but probably not the burst. He definitely isn't as explosive off the line as Arden Key and with the 14th pick I would prefer someone that can get off the line at an elite level.

Advantage: Arden Key

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jumping a 5 yd. route in a highlight tape does not tell you what's important. The first two of those clips suggest he might have the needed speed. We'll see at the Combine.

To be clear, that is not a highlight tape. That's every play of his from the Miami game, just cut up so you can watch it quickly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

From the Baylor game, you can see that pop, power and violence in his hands at :07, :28, :47, 2:03, 2:45, 3:02, 3:10, 5:23, 5:30, and 7:17.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I suppose this puts an end to this "Mel Kiper Fairy Tail"

https://www.fanragsports.com/who-stood-out-most-at-senior-bowl-day-2-south-practice/

It's goes

1.Arden Key

2. Courtland Sutton

3. Roquan Smith

4. Josh Jackson

5. ?

For no. 14 pick in that order.

Why would that put it to an end?

Has Davenport been disappointing? Yeah, he has. But it's been two days of practice. Two. Days. He has not been the best player, but he still is one of the top prospects there. He has the tools, it's just whether he and a coaching staff can put them together. Interesting point there though, for the most part, Davenport rushes from a 2 pt stance...at the SR Bowl they've been having him come out of a 3 pt stance most of the time. I think that makes an impact. But yeah, he's been disappointing. Still a lot of game left though, to quote Nagler.

As an aside, Arden Key will not be going at #14. He hardly tried in college, and has mega off field issues. I'm scared to give him money. Great talent, but scares me like crazy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts