Marcus Davenport

H

HardRightEdge

Kiper and Walter Football have this guy penciled in at #14.

The guys in the following video do a good job of breaking down his game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Keep in mind the level of competition here. The lateral quickness is an issue. He's something of a developmental player in the lack of variety in his moves. He plays standing up which may be a transitional issue in Pettine's D.

He reminds me a lot of Perry.

I think at #14 the Packers should be able to do better.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Kiper and Walter Football have this guy penciled in at #14.

The guys in the following video do a good job of breaking down his game.

Keep in mind the level of competition here. The lateral quickness is an issue. He's something of a developmental player in the lack of variety in his moves. He plays standing up which may be a transitional issue in Pettine's D.

He reminds me a lot of Perry.

I think at #14 the Packers should be able to do better.

I would cringe if this who the Packers draft at no.14.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I would be okay with getting him in 2nd round. He appears raw and level of competition doesn't warrant top 15 pick IMO. Doesn't look all that great or instinctive in space if you watch his film which is concerning. There will be better players on board.

We don't need a "boom or bust" development player at pick 14.

I'd rather have Ridley :eek:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't watched him yet, but Jeremiah ranks him at his #10 prospect.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I haven't watched him yet, but Jeremiah ranks him at his #10 prospect.

It's because he is 6'7 and 255 and expected to have a good combine. His tape doesn't match measurables at level of competition.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be okay with getting him in 2nd round. He appears raw and level of competition doesn't warrant top 15 pick IMO. Doesn't look all that great or instinctive in space if you watch his film which is concerning. There will be better players on board.

We don't need a "boom or bust" development player at pick 14.

I'd rather have Ridley :eek:

Hmmm...big, athletic, raw, poor level of competition...you sure you're not talking about Sutton? ;)

Davenport won't be there in the 2nd. Edge players, unless they're a bonafide star, are typically raw. So there has to be some projection there. He's certainly not a for sure prospect, but I personally think he's a good enough prospect that I would take him at 14.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because he is 6'7 and 255 and expected to have a good combine. His tape doesn't match measurables at level of competition.

Have you seen his tape? He dominates his competition. You got a link for what you've watched so I can compare it to what I've seen?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Have you seen his tape? He dominates his competition. You got a link for what you've watched so I can compare it to what I've seen?

I've watched his Baylor tape "17" and his Texas A&M tape "16" with Baylor being the better performance. There both available on youtube. I'm not saying Davenport is a bad prospect but what I am saying is I believe he is at 14 with much better players most likely being available. He doesn't play to his measurables and basically has one pass rush move.

Courtland Sutton is the direction we should be going here.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and Sutton dominated. This guy didn't other then flash here and there. ;)

55 tackles, 17.5 TFL, and 8.5 sacks from the DE position is flashing here and there?! Boy, sign me up for those flashes then!

Sutton had 1085 yards, 12 TD's, 4 games in which he had 2 or less catches, 7 games where he didn't have a TD (6 games where he totaled 12 TD's, 4 of those in one game), and he dominated but Davenport flashed here and there?! Man, that's hilarious. For reference, Davenport had 3 games in which he did not register a TFL.

I'll ask again, what film of Davenport are you watching? Link me up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
55 tackles, 17.5 TFL, and 8.5 sacks from the DE position is flashing here and there?! Boy, sign me up for those flashes then!

Sutton had 1085 yards, 12 TD's, 4 games in which he had 2 or less catches, 7 games where he didn't have a TD (6 games where he totaled 12 TD's, 4 of those in one game), and he dominated but Davenport flashed here and there?! Man, that's hilarious. For reference, Davenport had 3 games in which he did not register a TFL.

I'll ask again, what film of Davenport are you watching? Link me up.

You are so missing the boat on Sutton. Tired of wasting 1st round picks on defense. Time to give Rodgers a weapon he deserves. There ya go.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are so missing the boat on Sutton. Tired of wasting 1st round picks on defense. Time to give Rodgers a weapon he deserves. There ya go.

Thanks for the tape. I'll watch and it and give my feedback later.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to say Davenport flashes here and there, then you have to say that Sutton flashes here and there. It's only logical. I'm fine if you prefer Sutton to Davenport, I don't expect us to have the same views. I just think calling one dominant and the other a player who flashes here and there is silly.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Thanks for the tape. I'll watch and it and give my feedback later.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to say Davenport flashes here and there, then you have to say that Sutton flashes here and there. It's only logical. I'm fine if you prefer Sutton to Davenport, I don't expect us to have the same views. I just think calling one dominant and the other a player who flashes here and there is silly.

Maybe you don't understand my vision. I'm trying to build a "Ferrari with Snow Tires". Im done trying to piece together a defense year after year. Let Pettine figure it out. He supposedly has the talent as some suggest. Get it to top 15.

I say bring in Jimmie Graham and draft a TE 3rd round and get Sutton and score 2011 style. We're running out of time to Mickey Mouse around with this defense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's nice. We're discussing the evaluation of players, not our teams vision of the future.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah but Aaron Rodgers will be at least back. But yeah it is team work that gets you there and the strength of the players and playing to the fullest.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There isn't any singular player at 14 that will get us to the Super Bowl.

Once again I layed it out in the "overall vision". It's simple and start playing to our strength and be the best at what were good at. Not sure why some have to overthink it.

#ferrariwithsnowtires

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So is every draft thread going to turn into a Courtland Sutton thread simply because one poster is fixated?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again I layed it out in the "overall vision". It's simple and start playing to our strength and be the best at what were good at. Not sure why some have to overthink it.

#ferrariwithsnowtires

Bruh. With Aaron Rodgers pre-injury we were averaging a touch over 27 ppg. That would've ranked 5th in the league. There are certainly some areas that need addressing, but our defense is CLEARLY the bigger issue.

In the mean time, can we please try to stay on thread topic? Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts