Marc Trestman---- fired??

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another example of pushing out a good coach hoping for great, and getting worse. The Vikings did that with Denny Green but were doomed with Mike Tice, Brad Childress, and then Leslie Frasier. The Bears shouldn't have gotten rid of Lovie Smith. They should have found ways to help him more.

Now they have no GM, coach, or franchise quarterback. They are a mess. Who would honestly want the job now, especially with Cutler's salary weighing down the cap?

D

Deleted member 6794

Another example of pushing out a good coach hoping for great, and getting worse. The Vikings did that with Denny Green but were doomed with Mike Tice, Brad Childress, and then Leslie Frasier. The Bears shouldn't have gotten rid of Lovie Smith. They should have found ways to help him more.

Now they have no GM, coach, or franchise quarterback. They are a mess. Who would honestly want the job now, especially with Cutler's salary weighing down the cap?

It seems like Mike Singletary wants to be the next Bears coach.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every time I ever ask a Bears fan why they suck, they always say the teams has been rebuilding ever since Ditka left. Well god it's been 22 years you'd think the have finally found the three that will help. Oh well lets see who they'll hire next.

Next victim up!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are what's great about the NFL and a great reminder of why as Packer fans we should be thankful at all times. The Bears came into this season with the look of a team that may be capable of making a run and yet all they ended up getting was a case of the runs. Look at the weapons on the offensive side of the ball and they couldn't even average 20 points per contest! That is just head scratching to me but certainly speaks to the infighting and all around unprofessional atmosphere that comes with a Smoking Jay Cutler lead unit. Defensively Mel Tucker is a train wreck and I hope he somehow keeps his job. Yeah, he deserves a few more seasons to right the ship, doesn't he?!?! ;) I understand that losing a rock like Peanut Tillman is hard to overcome but ending the season 31/32 in points allowed is just brutal. I just made a post in another link about how lucky we are to have had such a great run of continuity and good ball to root for and this Bears meltdown only highlights my happiness with being a Packer fan. Anytime you want to gripe about Ted or Mikes game management or whatever just step back and put on a Bears hat. Perspective is everything ladies and gents. It's everything.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

Speaking of Lovie Smith, I am very surprised Tampa Bay hasn't fired him....at least not yet.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It's just kind of funny that I heard Trestman got fired here before it ever made it to the Bears official board. Were they too shamed to announce they fired a loser?

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sad to see the Bears fumbling away their legacy as an organization- they are quickly turning into the NFL's version of the cubs. Sometimes competitive enough to tease, always missing something important to make them legitimate hopefuls to win it all (see: amazing defense AND Rex Grossman vs. Peyton).

I am disappointed for Trestman. He is a consensus excellent person, and his real strength in his time in the CFL was that he was able to create a consistent and self-perpetuating culture of excellence and community within his locker room. You won't find a player who played for him during that time that doesn't speak highly of the dynamic he was directly responsible for that was the key factor in the incredible run of success the Montreal Alouettes enjoyed under him.

I think two things played against him. If you haven't figured out that the first was Jay Cutler/Jeff George, let me put in on record. The guy is an absolutely frustrating beast. Except for the fact that post-Holmgren Favre actually helped us win enough to make it to two more NFC title games before destroying our hopes with mindbendingly stupid decisions, Cutler plays exactly like mindbendingly stupid decision making Favre game in and out, except that he's utterly unlikeable while he does it. AND, he doesn't want to learn how to play less stupidly. Coach killer...

The other thing is that Trestman isn't Mike Ditka. He's a softspoken guy who looks more like an accountant than a football coach in a city where people want their HC to be a Godzilla clone. People don't realize that Trestman not only had the full and complete backing of ownership during his tenure in Montreal, but he also had a tremendous working relationship with his GM, who was an excellent talent evaluator, scout and opportunist in terms of getting good return on long shots and cutting loose when they didn't turn out. Trestman didn't have either an ownership group willing to stick to a long term plan that would yield results (I think this has everything to do with recognizing the millstone that Cutler's deal is to the entire organization for the foreseeable future), or a GM with personnel acumen to speak of.

In any case, he's not likely to get any HC looks in the NFL again for a very long time, but I'll be interested to see if he gets a call to work as an OC. With a building block piece in place at QB who needs development and consistency, he'd be an unreal fit. People can snicker about the Canadian Football League, but Trestman had a huge role in helping Anthony Calvillo become one of the greatest passers in a pure passing league's history. Here's hoping he gets an earnest shot at a job where his talents and approach have an opportunity to show how valuable he is.

And I can't wait to see the retreads the Bears shuffle out as the architects of three more years of Cutler-lead misery.... Who knows- they might be on the hook for fired coach and GM salaries equal to Cutler's annual cap hit before they realize it might just be wise to eat his hit and rid themselves of the cancer killing their whole team. Here's hoping. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's all about the GM and the director of player personnel and the power they are given to build the team and coaching staff. Some franchises are well managed at the top, and others not. We've been very fortunate that our division rivals fall into the latter category.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think two things played against him. If you haven't figured out that the first was Jay Cutler/Jeff George, let me put in on record. The guy is an absolutely frustrating beast. … The other thing is that Trestman isn't Mike Ditka. He's a softspoken guy who looks more like an accountant than a football coach in a city where people want their HC to be a Godzilla clone.
I don’t there’s a serious NFL fan who doesn’t realize Cutler is a coach killer but how did Trestman get the coach killer to lead the Bears offense to their tie for the #2 ranking in scoring last season? And then how did they fall so far in the next season going from tied for 2nd in scoring last season to 23rd this season? The league catches up to new schemes and the Bears had some injuries but do those two things alone explain that deep drop? (All honest questions – I’m not trying to make a point with them.) Trestman got Cutler under control enough to get them near the top of the league in scoring – maybe Cutler’s a ‘time bomb coach killer’?

Lovie Smith wasn’t a Ditka-like Godzilla clone either, so I don’t think that played a part in their house-cleaning. If their offense would have stayed about the same and their D improved, my guess is both Emery and Trestman would still have their jobs. As for Trestman to the degree he was responsible for the Bears offensive plunge this season, that’s obviously on him. If he had the power to fire Mel Tucker and didn’t, that was a HUGE mistake. In the end both he and Emery probably fell victim to the organizational cluster schtoop that thankfully is in place in Chicago. May it never change…

H

HardRightEdge

The league catches up to new schemes and the Bears had some injuries but do those two things alone explain that deep drop? (All honest questions – I’m not trying to make a point with them.)
Cutler is mistake-prone under pressure, either from the pass rush, the scoreboard, having a crappy defense and maybe even the standings. The Bears pass blocking took a downturn this season. Their defense was bad. Those two together did not help on the scoreboard. The standings and associated heat from the fans and media could not have been any help.

In many ways this does not differentiate him from some other decent QBs who have underperformed in pressure situations and/or behind substandard lines, and taken heat for it, at some extended periods in their careers...Romo, Dalton, Rivers, now Stafford this season.

I think what differentiates Cutler is his personality. The guy is an introvert. That comes across at times as not caring and lacking love for the game. Maybe he doesn't care that much and is playing for the paycheck and lack of other alternatives; maybe he cares intensely but doesn't show it.

Regardless, winning or losing, there is an air of indifference about him, a lack of emotion, whether or not that's what's going on internally. When winning, it's easy for guys to say, "that's just Jay". When losing, it becomes lost command of the huddle and leadership in the clubhouse.

Like or not, right or wrong, the QB is the face of the team and it's leader. It doesn't matter how well a guy can throw the ball if he doesn't embrace the role; he's gotta try to be the leader even if he's not natural-born to it. It's an obligation that comes with the paycheck.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Cutler is mistake-prone under pressure, either from the pass rush, the scoreboard, having a crappy defense and maybe even the standings. The Bears pass blocking took a downturn this season. Their defense was bad. Those two together did not help on the scoreboard. The standings and associated heat from the fans and media could not have been any help.
You’re probably right about the rest of it, but not the defense. Their D actually improved this season. It went from surrendering 29.9 ppg to “just” 27.6 ppg and from allowing an average of about 395 yards per game to “just” 377! Just kidding about the improvement of course – but it was basically the same horrible performance.

This is what the guy who traded for Cutler, Jerry Angelo, had to say about Cutler after the 2013 season: "Has all the physical tools, but inconsistent in the clutch," Angelo wrote. "Mostly due to a lack of poise. He's not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target, that may or may not be the right choice. The less he's asked to see the better he is. A better half-field general, than a full-field one."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ars-gm-jerry-angelo-qb-jay-cutler-lacks-poise

I think Jerry’s onto something. I wonder how much time and effort Cutler puts into reading defenses? That would reveal a lot about whether or not he's just playing for a paycheck.

H

HardRightEdge

This is what the guy who traded for Cutler, Jerry Angelo, had to say about Cutler after the 2013 season: "Has all the physical tools, but inconsistent in the clutch," Angelo wrote. "Mostly due to a lack of poise. He's not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target, that may or may not be the right choice. The less he's asked to see the better he is. A better half-field general, than a full-field one."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ars-gm-jerry-angelo-qb-jay-cutler-lacks-poise

I think Jerry’s onto something. I wonder how much time and effort Cutler puts into reading defenses? That would reveal a lot about whether or not he's just playing for a paycheck.
Angelo's comments are hard for me judge without a lot of close study. He could be polishing his own t*rd, so to speak, when considering the pass blocking the Bears have provided over Cutler's tenure. It was better in 2013, and a better Cutler followed.

In a nutshell, if a QB does not expect to get his 2.5 seconds, he can't be expected to work the progression. The fact he targetted Forte 130 times might be an indicator of something.

Still, your questions are certainly valid and interesting ones. How much work does Cutler put into film study? Does he suffer a moment of brain freeze when he walks to the line and sees something unexpected? There's also something that can be neither taught no learned, though improved somewhat with practice under the right conditions...how fast is he able to process what he sees between the snap and the throw?

Truth be told, there aren't many QBs who can get to the third receiver in a progression in 2.5 seconds without begging off the #1 pre-snap based on the defense, and none of them can do it all the time.

Tangentially, I find it puzzling when even "expert" commentators critique QBs for not seeing an open receiver. The first look at the guy might not have appeared promising, so he passed on to the next guy in the progression. Then #1 breaks open. You'd think these guys who played the game would know that when the QB is focused on his next likely target, he's just that...focused. He's not going to be seeing the whole field, nor should he be.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have to agree with everything Paulska said. By no means am I saying Trestman was blameless in the Bears' awful season, when a team gets that bad and the players completely lose faith in the ability to win, that certainly does have to fall on the head coach. But he most certainly did not make the call to chain the wagon wheels to Cutler, that was on Emery / Philips / whoever and Trestman had little to no say in that. The Mel Tucker hire was not his choice either, I mean he agreed to it, but it was all Emery handpicking him, and as such, I don't believe he had the authority to fire him or Kromer. I think he's a good head coach who was just in the wrong place, his resume if you look at his wiki certainly speaks of what he can do, some of his most prolific offenses were when he was coaching up some of the best in the game like Steve Young and Rich Gannon, and some of the Raiders' best years were when he was their OC. This last gig will stick on him in not a good way, but I think if he were given another chance with another team, he might surprise.

H

HardRightEdge

My Buffalo friends and relatives rightly bemoan the Bills lack of a QB. That was a championship-caliber team with a merely decent passer at the helm. It still is, with Hughes and Spiller the only FAs of note, and only $117 mil in cap commitments for next season.

Some expressed enthusiasm at the prospect of bringing Cutler to Buffalo as a guy who could put the team over the top. One local rumor, apocryphal in my opinion, had the Bears giving up a 1st. round pick to whoever would take Cutler and his $16.5 mil cap/$19 mil dead cap off their hands.

My visceral reaction was, "no way". I had to step back and think about the basis for that quick response. It comes down to the leadership factor. When you get down to it, there's not a lot that separates Cutler and Rivers as passers over 3 of the last 4 seasons.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Bills should never do that, if they want to get a viable successor to Orton, just stick with Manuel, he will be something special

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts