Marc Trestman---- fired??

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are a !@#% Show from the ownership group down. I hope the McCaskey family keeps the team forever.

I guess what's crazy, and I figured it was odd that Trestman was not firing Mel Tucker, I had no idea where or if he knew the guy, I couldn't pick any time that he did, that he would've had any loyalty to a guy who was wrecking defenses. I was talking with my Canadian friends who knew Trestman from his coaching days at Montreal, and some of them were thinking Trestman didn't have any say in who he got to hire/let go. I thought that was a ridiculous notion that a head coach wouldn't get to pick his staff, yet here it is coming that Bruce Arians didn't want that job because the Bears owners/GMs were making him do that if he took it. Didn't think that was ever the case there before but if it is .... Just wow is all I can say.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiring Mel Tucker was odd. He has sucked his entire NFL coaching career. Bad Browns teams and Jags teams.... Why in the hell would you ever hire the Jags old DC?? They were awful.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't read the Chicago Tribune much, much less Rosenbloom's articles, but sure sounds like he's presenting this meddlesome GM/CEO/Owner thing as a fact, more so than a theory. I know it's in the blog section of the Tribune's website, but you would not think a nationally known news organization like that one would allow theory propagation in it's sports networks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve read and heard enough of the meddlesome GM/CEO/Owner stuff over the years that I think it has merit. I’ve also heard there are McCaskey allies in their organization that help to screw up the works – I’m not sure if that’s still the case. BTW, does the fix Rosenbloom is suggesting sound familiar? Hire a football man who hires a HC, etc. Because Bob Harlan figured that out in hiring Ron Wolf is why the Packers are where they are and the Bears are where they are. I also like them telling Arians he’d have to keep some of their assistant coaches (save $). I’ve read that Wolf was interested in the Green Bay job before he took it but turned it down because he wouldn’t have the power Harlan gave him. I hope the Bears never figure any of this out – I hope they keep Cutler and fire a couple of assistant coaches.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I’ve read and heard enough of the meddlesome GM/CEO/Owner stuff over the years that I think it has merit. I’ve also heard there are McCaskey allies in their organization that help to screw up the works – I’m not sure if that’s still the case. BTW, does the fix Rosenbloom is suggesting sound familiar? Hire a football man who hires a HC, etc. Because Bob Harlan figured that out in hiring Ron Wolf is why the Packers are where they are and the Bears are where they are. I also like them telling Arians he’d have to keep some of their assistant coaches (save $). I’ve read that Wolf was interested in the Green Bay job before he took it but turned it down because he wouldn’t have the power Harlan gave him. I hope the Bears never figure any of this out – I hope they keep Cutler and fire a couple of assistant coaches.

Do you think there is some kind of conspiracy going on here TJV :eek: ??

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you think there is some kind of conspiracy going on here TJV :eek: ??
Bill, I think you're supposed to be the fireman but I think you're spraying gasoline. (Deserving target though :roflmao:)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Mel Tucker's defense, that defense has very little talent. All their former good defensive players have gotten old and worse or have left the Bears. The Bears have not done a good job of drafting replacements.

I don't think any defensive coordinator could do well with that current talent level.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Mel Tucker's defense, that defense has very little talent. All their former good defensive players have gotten old and worse or have left the Bears. The Bears have not done a good job of drafting replacements.

I don't think any defensive coordinator could do well with that current talent level.

But when he's not had success anywhere he's been, that's not a good thing and it shortens the rope up a lot. While certainly most DCs would be in a bind in that situation, I'm sure the better ones could get the most out of even that unit.

But the main point of that article is that it seems Trestman is not the guy who chose Tucker, or if he did, it seems Emery or somebody was forcing the staff on him. That shouldn't be happening in pro football organizations.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of all of this Bears bashing. Their front office is doing a tremendous job, and Cutler is the savior of the franchise. Thank G for Jay Cutler.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of all of this Bears bashing. Their front office is doing a tremendous job, and Cutler is the savior of the franchise. Thank G for Jay Cutler.
As I said in an earlier post, I don't want to see any changes in Chicago. I think they're doing a grand job.

Now if Detroit could just use Chicago as the fine example it is when it comes to personnel management, we could all be proud of them as well. :cool:

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in an earlier post, I don't want to see any changes in Chicago. I think they're doing a grand job.

Now if Detroit could just use Chicago as the fine example it is when it comes to personnel management, we could all be proud of them as well. :cool:

The whole point is their stubborn owners are what's makin' this funny. To be fair, and I know people have brought it up about making fun of other teams' fans for stuff, I don't think of it as such, because I really don't blame them for wanting a house blown up kind of thing, because while they had a little run in the middle of the 2000's, they pulled some bad moves that mortgaged off the future of the franchise again. Plus as far as if changes did become made, all the Chicago media gurus I've heard talk about it have said it would take more than a firing of Tucker or Kromer to fix it, and most of them feel their problems would take years on end to fix. Sooo... I'm not sure I'd be worried even if their was a great purge at the end of this season. However, that should serve as a reminder to some who want to constantly complain about 1 loss every 6 weeks around here about how good we've had it under TT and MM, and why our organization is on top of the NFC north and not sitting at 5-8. Again, I'm not saying that the tables won't ever turn in this league, they always do at some point, but right now this is why we are on top.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The whole point is their stubborn owners are what's makin' this funny. To be fair, and I know people have brought it up about making fun of other teams' fans for stuff, I don't think of it as such, because I really don't blame them for wanting a house blown up kind of thing, because while they had a little run in the middle of the 2000's, they pulled some bad moves that mortgaged off the future of the franchise again. Plus as far as if changes did become made, all the Chicago media gurus I've heard talk about it have said it would take more than a firing of Tucker or Kromer to fix it, and most of them feel their problems would take years on end to fix. Sooo... I'm not sure I'd be worried even if their was a great purge at the end of this season. However, that should serve as a reminder to some who want to constantly complain about 1 loss every 6 weeks around here about how good we've had it under TT and MM, and why our organization is on top of the NFC north and not sitting at 5-8. Again, I'm not saying that the tables won't ever turn in this league, they always do at some point, but right now this is why we are on top.

We're spoiled and we expect a lot. That's all. I cannot apologize for that. Sorry.

We've had a high quality team for... around 20 or so years. Perennial playoff contenders.

Yea. We are spoiled. Chances are after Rodgers' tenure is over, we will have a very different experience.

So expect excellence from this team now as the coaching staff does, because you in all likelihood will not be able to reasonably expect it when Rodgers is gone.

Three HOF QBs in a row? Dream on.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Well, after 50 years, Detroit was bound to figure it out at some point. I think it might be a little early to proclaim the Lions mgmt as organizational wizards however. Let's see how they handle the cap and draft over the next couple of years.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Well, after 50 years, Detroit was bound to figure it out at some point. I think it might be a little early to proclaim the Lions mgmt as organizational wizards however. Let's see how they handle the cap and draft over the next couple of years.
I don't think anything of the Lions management.

frozengator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being Canadian, and a huge fan of the CFL, I was really hoping for Trestman to do amazing things in the NFL (just not as amazing as the Packers, since after all it's the Bears). He really is a great coach, and his offenses regularly led the league (already a high-scoring affair most of the time) in the important categories.

He did everything well. He held his players to a high standard but never threw anyone under the bus. He didn't have complete control over the personnel, but he worked closely with the GM to make sure they had the right players and none of the wrong ones.

Honestly, the fact that Jay Cutler has a starting QB job and Tim Tebow doesn't boggles my mind. I'm only sad for Trestman, because I respect him as a coach and a man.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and now this: http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/nfl-bears-likely-to-fire-marc-trestman-at-end-of/article_f73d3ded-8bda-5132-b34d-795f0a45b78c.html

I like seeing the Bears competitive. They would be my favorite team if the Packers didn't exist. Luckily that parallel dimension doesn't exist. If they fire Trestman I hope that they find a good coach if they do make the switch

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts