Marc Trestman---- fired??

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and while I'm not letting Marc Trestman off the hook for this, he certainly does bear his responsibility for this as the HC, I think he did get stuck in a rocky situation when the Bears owners and GM foolishly broke the bank on Cutler. They can't really get rid of Cutler right now without paying dearly for it, so it only makes sense that Trestman's going to have to take the punishment for this. He has had not only good success in the CFL as a HC, but he was also largely responsible for Steve Young and Rich Gannon's successes of the mid 90s and early 2000s, so those who know his pedigree there I think certainly will make offers to him as OC. But it is too bad his HC career is probably over because of this bad ineptness on George and his minions' parts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
...and now this: http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/nfl-bears-likely-to-fire-marc-trestman-at-end-of/article_f73d3ded-8bda-5132-b34d-795f0a45b78c.html

I like seeing the Bears competitive. They would be my favorite team if the Packers didn't exist. Luckily that parallel dimension doesn't exist. If they fire Trestman I hope that they find a good coach if they do make the switch
Take Capers, please!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears have benched Jay Cutler and will start Jimmy Clausen for Sunday's game vs. the Lions. What a great vote of confidence in their franchise QB.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
The Bears have benched Jay Cutler and will start Jimmy Clausen for Sunday's game vs. the Lions. What a great vote of confidence in their franchise QB.

As a Lions fan, I was cautiously optimistic about the Bears game. I saw this news last night, and now I am simply optimistic.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interestingly, when Cutler was out vs the Packers last year McCown literally played better vs us than Cutler ever did. (Until week 17)

I don't think Clausen has that capability though, especially playing agaisnt a very good defense.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Interestingly, when Cutler was out vs the Packers last year McCown literally played better vs us than Cutler ever did. (Until week 17)

I don't think Clausen has that capability though, especially playing agaisnt a very good defense.

Probably not. He has only played 3 games since 2010.
In those 3 games he was 3/9 (33%), 42 yards, 49.3 QB rating

For his whole career, 16 games, 160/308 (51.9%), 1600 yards, 3 TDs, 9 INTs, 58.1 QB Rating

I kind of feel bad for the guy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions, or any team with a great defense, is a bad team to get your first start against - first start in a long while. It likely won't go well, but professional football is a game of opportunity. If Clausen wants to stop holding clip boards he'd better find a way to win. Cutler is a boat anchor weighing the team down.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

It's a miracle if the Bears beat Detroit even if at Soldier Field.

But, the NFL being the NFL, I would not rule out a Bear victory. It's just REAL long odds.
let this be detriot's trap game! Go Bears...YOU STILL SUCK...but Go Bears.

I have asked for and received "Special Dispensation" from the Pope in order to be classified as a temporary Bear fan.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Go Bears!

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clausen is nothing more than a slightly worse version of Matt Barkley. Thought he stunk pretty bad when he was with Carolina, and thought he had way too much praise sung of him when he was with Notre Dame as he never beat any good teams when he was there. But, with the Bears, the state their team is in is pretty much this.

Right now, the rumor coming out of Halas Hall is that Marc Trestman is going to be fired at the end of the season, and with him probably most if not all of the coaching staff. It won't only be the coaching staff though, Marshall has said that no player on this team should think his job is safe, and I'm guessing a lot of players will find themselves shipped out too.

Will the Bears try and find a way to eat Cutler's contract? I don't know, I think any way they try will end up burning their whole wallet up, but if by some reason they did decide to do that, guess their gonna have to roll with a cheap QB for a while. It's kind of preseason mode for them right now since there's no playoffs coming to Chitown, so guess they figure they gotta do the end of season evaluation now, and that's seeing if Clausen can offer them anything.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I read is that benching Cutler now keeps him healthy for an off-season trade and saves the Bears $10 million over what they would have paid him. They will eat a large chunk of salary, but in accounting terms it's a sunk cost.

One would think that with Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Marsellus Bennett you could cobble together a good offensive showing against almost any team. He's got to prove that he can throw, almost like Christian Ponder did in his first game against the Packers - throw deep for a TD. That'll keep the dogs on a leash

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What I read is that benching Cutler now keeps him healthy for an off-season trade and saves the Bears $10 million over what they would have paid him. They will eat a large chunk of salary, but in accounting terms it's a sunk cost.

One would think that with Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Marsellus Bennett you could cobble together a good offensive showing against almost any team. He's got to prove that he can throw, almost like Christian Ponder did in his first game against the Packers - throw deep for a TD. That'll keep the dogs on a leash
My thoughts exactly. Keep Jay healthy so s/he can be gotten rid of in the off-season somehow.

I thought Marshall was out for a while?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Let’s start a petition to save all the jobs at Halas Hall! C’mon, give ‘em another chance, I’m sure they’ll turn it around next season. Stability is what’s needed! Keep Pres. Ted Phillips, GM Phil Emery, Trestman, and Cutler all in place and a Super Bowl will be just around the corner (not that the Bears will be anywhere near it)! Fire the strength and conditioning guy or the STs coach if you have to, but keep what’s working going!

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think any team will trade for Cutler because of his current contract. His 2015 salary ($15.5 million) is already fully guaranteed and another $10 million will become fully guaranteed on March 12, 2015.

If the Bears somehow get rid of Cutler his dead money for 2015 will be higher than Rodgers´ cap hit toward the Packers cap for next season. :roflmao:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don´t think any team will trade for Cutler because of his current contract. His 2015 salary ($15.5 million) is already fully guaranteed and another $10 million will become fully guaranteed on March 12, 2015.

If the Bears somehow get rid of Cutler his dead money for 2015 will be higher than Rodgers´ cap hit toward the Packers cap for next season. :roflmao:

No team will trade for him with that contract..

What can happen is they find a team and Jay makes a new deal with that new team (if this allowed with the CBA)

Or Jay re-does the deal knowing he will be traded

D

Deleted member 6794

No team will trade for him with that contract..

What can happen is they find a team and Jay makes a new deal with that new team (if this allowed with the CBA)

Or Jay re-does the deal knowing he will be traded

If I understand it correctly Cutler could renegotiate his deal with either the Bears or a new team but I don´t think he´s willing to do that as he would be assured of getting $25.5 million if he´s on an NFL roster on the third league day of 2015 under the current contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bears are a complete train wreck. I expect to see everyone not named McCaskey fired in the next 12 months. I think they are in the beginning stages of a complete organizational overhaul.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Story in PFT about a likely Bears "house cleaning". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ears-house-cleaning-could-be-coming/#comments

The comments area has several Packers fans stating their respect for the Bears organization (same here - it sucks that they're soooo bad from a rivalry standpoint -- but, I still despise their fans...) and that was noted by one Bears fan who said:

"As bears fan I love the respect being given by gb fans, but I love even more how they absolutely trash Minnesota and ignore detroit altogether."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being Canadian, and a huge fan of the CFL, I was really hoping for Trestman to do amazing things in the NFL (just not as amazing as the Packers, since after all it's the Bears). He really is a great coach, and his offenses regularly led the league (already a high-scoring affair most of the time) in the important categories.

He did everything well. He held his players to a high standard but never threw anyone under the bus. He didn't have complete control over the personnel, but he worked closely with the GM to make sure they had the right players and none of the wrong ones.

Honestly, the fact that Jay Cutler has a starting QB job and Tim Tebow doesn't boggles my mind. I'm only sad for Trestman, because I respect him as a coach and a man.

I was understanding of everything you said up until Tebow lol.

But seriously, Trestman really appeared to be unable to manage his locker room and things spiraled out of control. A very talented offense that looked inept most of the season.

Members online

Latest posts