1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marc Trestman---- fired??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Nov 11, 2014.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    same ole Jay

3. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Yep. How is it that a million fans around the world new the guy would never be the answer but the Bears thought they knew better and gave him a giant contract like that?

4. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,034
    My wife said he looked so sad last night, she wanted to give him a hug......lol

5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    How in the world do they not at the very, very least, fire DC Tucker after those two back-to-back games? One of the assistants probably wouldn't do much better but it would at least send an initial signal to the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I think maybe they're really worried about the message it'll send to potential future coaches. They are a mess ...and I love it. I'll predict it now. They'll knock off the Lions in one of those 2 games and it'll just bring on more questions and problems and confusion! :laugh: I hope they beat a couple decent teams now down the stretch just to prolong this all. Like Chinese drip torture! Like a really bad golfer that hits a couple great shots on the 18th after shooting 50 over the rest of the way! :roflmao::roflmao:

7. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +275
    Thing is I wonder, just how much rope is Trestman given to yank him? He's not the one who paid him that Romo-sized contract, it was his boss, and if he sits him would that end up getting the trigger pulled on him? Remember, Mike Shanahan did that to RG3 in Washington and he got fired for it. I don't know what the Bears big cigars would do, but somehow I don't think it would sit well with them if Trestman pulled him.

8. rondon57

rondon57 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    They should have drafted a QB 1st rd by now and the way it looks they will have a lousy win-loss record this season so this spring may be a good time for the Bears to pull the trigger on a QB in the draft,at the worst it may light a fire under Cutler but I think it's pretty clear he is not the guy.

9. rondon57

rondon57 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    Trestman may not be coaching the Bears next year,should have never let Lovie Smith go.Seems like the front office in Chicago lost all direction.It's looking like the Lions are now GB's biggest challenge in that division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I hope they win out. 10-6 doesn't make the playoffs and they draft around 20th to not get any studs. Too good to lose but not good enough to win. Several years of hope wasted. Sort of like our Forrest Gregg years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    Blind loyalty....hmmmm....Cutler IS Jeff George. The Bears are the John Daly of the NFL - sometimes drunk, sometimes erratic, sometimes poised, and sometimes Ugly. Highly Volatile!! lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +455
    Hit the nail on the head. Jeff George reincarnated. A 200 million dollar airport with a deer stand as a control tower.

13. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517
    Lovie isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in Tampa Bay this season. But beside lack of personnel the apparent rift between the offense and defense in Chicago may be due to some resentments from the defensive side of Smith's firing two years ago.

14. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    What is he supposed to say to the media? That they suck?

15. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +295
    These are wonderful times in Illinois, LOL! You can be rest assured that I'm loving it - all of it. Hey - no one had any sympathy for me in the 80's, so I sure as hell have none for them. The more misery those fans get, the better I like it. Serves them right. They can wipe their tears with their dumb Ditka v-neck sweaters and I'll use one for toilet paper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. AlabamaPackerCracker

AlabamaPackerCracker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    Have to agree with this, I thought for sure somebody would have to go after those performances against the Pats and Pack in back to back games. You assume Tucker and Trestman are not the answer long term, but it seems clear some of the players have quit on the coaching staff, and you should show the fans that somebody is being held accountable for the team's poor performance. Just speaks to the incompetence of that organization right now, I won't complain one bit

17. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
    Yeah and I was even reading an article today that Trestman says he's not going to change anything in the way they call plays or manage O or whatever either. I actually did follow this guy when he coached in the CFL and he did some good things there that gave him winning teams with great offense, thought he was as they say a smart coach who knows football well, but I don't get why he's so reluctant to pull any changes for a team in trouble. I've never seen a coach last fewer than 5 years in Chitown, but at this rate it does not look good for him at all.

18. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    A few of the callers on Bears radio after last week's bloodbath said Trestman is a great OC who is over his head as HC. What you say about him in the CFL contradicts that. BTW, do you know of any ties he has with Tucker? I wonder if he has the authority to fire him? Also, after being humiliated by the arch rivals on national TV, I thought it would have been appropriate for the GM to handle the main press conference, or at least sit at Trestman's side. It'll be interesting to see how much fight they have in 'em at home against the Vikings. If they lay down again, it could get ugly with the fans.

(AlabamaPackerCracker, that is one humorous self-deprecating? interesting name!:D)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ls1bob

ls1bob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +96
    Granted I am not a Brandon Marshall fan or any bear fan for that matter and I know Marshall has his demons, but he did not quit on his team the other night unlike Jeffrey and other bear players. Again, he had done some dumb things in the past but he still played hard being that far down until he hurt his ankle.

20. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +295
    I'm not sure that Jeffery quit - they're just simply terrible, lol. Look - when Cutler is your QB - your odds aren't great. I am absolutely loving it. I thought the Wannstedt years were great - no, these are better.

21. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
    Yes I heard that. As far as I know Tucker never coached in that league, however he did hire or allowed the hiring of a bad defensive coordinator there. His offenses were good enough to make up for that and outscore opponents a lot, but his defenses continually dropped off while he coached. It certainly seems to have carried over here. As far as what authority he has to fire coordinators, I've never known any Bears GMs or ownership to interfere in that matter, or at least Lovie was allowed to hire and fire his.

I don't think it's any stretch to say that Josh McCown is a much smarter QB than Cutler though, hence why his team overall looked better last year.

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    McCown had a stretch of eight great games last season with the Bears, otherwise he has been a mediocre QB at best.

23. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
  24. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    That's a pretty ridiculous statement, but to be fair, there's talent on paper. They've got some weapons with Forte, Jeffrey, Marshall, and Bennett. It's going to be nearly impossible for them to continue justifying Cutler as their franchise QB after this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275