Many have said we are looking out 1 year. Why? Where are we so weak?

Reaction score
There is an interesting dynamic that I haven’t seen since MM became HC. We have oodles of potential, possibly top 3 type potency in the league in 2019, but that often equates to requiring additional time to gain momentum.
I absolutely think we can be dangerously good by early-mid 2020. The type that brings a 13-3 or 12-4 type potency and home field through much of the playoffs. But 2019 is an absolute mystery. We could go 11-5 and we could go 8-8. There’s just so many mysteries at so many positions, that goes for coaching too.

I still think we missed at solidifying the Offensive skill positions. I like the bargain shopping there at TE and RB, but we are gambling at WR and this was a deep WR class with lots of solid WR options between round 2 and about 5. Gone are Jordy, Cobb and Monty and right now the best we have comparable is MVS, GMO and Kumerow. Anyone who thinks that’s an even trade at this juncture is kidding themselves. Can #12 carry the team on his shoulders? Absolutely.
Should #12 have to carry the team? Absolutely not.

I do believe we see more TE usage and leverage the experience we have paid so dearly for in FA, but MM all but ignored in 2018.

As it is, this is an educated gamble of throwing enough resources at Defense that we can hold opponents back 7 pts behind what #12 can muster with limited resources. I still believe in the short term strategy, we are playing the odds in an effort to stay relevant and that certainly is one method. But another would be to get more aggressive at O in 2020. Go after a stellar Offensivd player in FA and then hit O with 2 of the first 3 pics or the like. By the close of 2019, I feel it’s time to analyze our Offensive concerns and get aggressive by plugging the 3 weakest O position groups with some upper echelon Offensive talent (I believe that is aligning with our short term 1-2 year plan)

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Old School, we are better off with what we have imho than Jordy (he is not the same player), Cobb (I think you have him over-rated) and Monty (had some good games but over-rated). Obviously our guys have to take the field first. It was a necessary gamble.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still think we missed at solidifying the Offensive skill positions. I like the bargain shopping there at TE and RB, but we are gambling at WR and this was a deep WR class with lots of solid WR options between round 2 and about 5. Gone are Jordy, Cobb and Monty and right now the best we have comparable is MVS, GMO and Kumerow. Anyone who thinks that’s an even trade at this juncture is kidding themselves.

I would have liked the Packers to sign a veteran receiver, preferably one lining up in the slot on the majority of snaps, as well but the this year's draft class wasn't deep at the position by any means.

That changes in 2020 with several intriguing prospects available at the position.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. Gone are Jordy, Cobb and Monty and right now the best we have comparable is MVS, GMO and Kumerow. Anyone who thinks that’s an even trade at this juncture is kidding themselves.

The problem with this comment is you are comparing our #1,2,3 WRs from a while ago to our #2,3,4 WRs today. You are forgetting about Adams. If you are thinking that we would be better off with Jordy, Cobb, Monty right now in addition to Adams I beg to differ. At this juncture I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Certainly in their prime Jordy and Cobb were better than what GMO and MVS have shown so far (not sure about Monty and Kummerow) but I don't think either of them are anywhere close to their prime any more and IMO GMO and MVS have plenty of ceiling left. I don't know if they will reach it but at least I don't think they are on the decline.

The biggest question is who will play the slot and will they be as effective as Cobb? Obviously MLF has a plan there and to be honest from what we got from Cobb recently I am not too worried.

I first started to reply to this line of thought with the comment below in response to what gopkrs said but after reading your post a little more closely I changed it. I am leaving that comment included here so you can see what I was initially thinking right or wrong.

Well Old School, we are better off with what we have imho than Jordy (he is not the same player), Cobb (I think you have him over-rated) and Monty (had some good games but over-rated). Obviously our guys have to take the field first. It was a necessary gamble.

I agree that at this point in time I'd take our current group over Jordy, Cobb and Monty but I'm not sure Old School was saying he'd rather have them than our current group . I think he was saying that when we had them at least we had some known quantities besides just Adams.

Reaction score
I agree that at this point in time I'd take our current group over Jordy, Cobb and Monty but I'm not sure Old School was saying he'd rather have them than our current group . I think he was saying that when we had them at least we had some known quantities besides just Adams.
That’s exactly correct. I’m not suggesting a literal trade for those players verbatim, but rather we could’ve been more balanced with our aggression at the Offense skill positions. We’ve been routinely going after Wideouts rounds 4-7 going back years.

Btw, I’m not saying MVS or Kumerow are bad either. I think they both have value. But we either should’ve experimented a year sooner by letting them get experience behind a veteran or drafted a more sure thing vs drafting 3 WRs all at once. I like a more staggered approach. We could’ve easily kept Jordy another year in the transition and we know now what I said then, Jordy could’ve been had for a meager contract on a 1 year deal and we can estimate that his production in GB with #12 would’ve been compensatory to his salary or better.
In 2019, I would’ve liked to see at minimum 1 WR in FA or at least by day 2 if the former couldn’t be achieved. That or a trade deal. I’ve said this before and repeatedly. Brandon isn’t that far off in his vision of returning to 2011 form. With all this talent at depth WR? We only needed 1 solid #2 to get really good really fast. We didn’t even need to go round 1 there either, we could’ve gambled in a #12 trade back to the teens and very likely still got Gary AND negotiated a day 2 WR like Campbell with the acquired draft capital, or at the very least Terry McClaurin etc.. it was a 50/50 gamble there, but a worthy gamble I would’ve easily taken to inject some exciting, fresh Ohio Blood in the veins.

Last edited:

Trouble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Aaron Rodgers not as good as he’s made out to be. Can’t be running every play with a second on timer. Nobody seems to be in sync if penalty not called. Idk Rodgers needs to pass from plays, not scramble bs. As is, Rodgers is an 8-8 player, need the defense to carry team to do better than that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are exactly ZERO QB's that are going to look good and in sync when the entire offense is out of sync in the NFL. It seems some have forgotten how good this offense was. Rodgers can make every single throw in the book and make the very difficult look easy. Not that good? you haven't been paying attention. Of course no defense and Abbrederis and Janis as your top receivers is a recipe for success in the playoffs for other QB's right? and then we should judge from 2 injury plagued seasons rather than the previous 8?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our defense improves like we think it might this year and Rodgers isn't asked to be the savior every week AR is going to look like the MVP quality QB we have seen in the past.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our O-Line will be better this year, our D-Line should be re-energized after a sub-par year. Our Linebacking corps right now is a crap shoot with really ONLY Martinez starting last year and returning. Secondary isn't fixed until it is in my book. Running game should improve. WR/TE I'm no sure about...too much youth not enough veteran talent (That isn't past their prime). So yeah I'm NOT looking at this year for even making the playoffs, or if we do we play on the road as a Wild Card.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited for this defense, Dline included. Lancaster was a nice surprise. Not a super star, but solid, reliable and I think he's the type of guy that will build on a solid rookie campaign. Lowery is good against the run and does offer some help in pushing the pocket. I think Daniels is better than he gets credit for around here, but maybe not as good as he thinks he is. Clark is a monster already and probably has 2-3 years of physical maturity left in him before he really hits stride. We have some young guys with potential, and that's about all you can ask for at this point from them. We'll see if it materializes on the field.

Reaction score
Cobb (I think you have him over-rated)
Apparently the Giants were in agreement with you as he’s already on pace for a productive season with a team we’ll likely see in the playoffs. He would’ve had his way with them all day if not for Cooper and Gallup combining fur 264 yards. I’m happy he’s already proving his naysayers wrong, he’s a good man.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people recognized Cobb was productive if healthy. If he’s still doing this week in and out at week 6 then he’s done something right. He couldn’t be that in Green Bay the past few seasons.

But today I only saw one play with him and that was a TD. Completely uncovered for an easy throw and catch. The Giants defense was pretty bad all game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cobb had a "Cobb like day", 4 catches for 69 yards and 1 TD. Looked like he was returning punts for the Cowboys as well.

I think a healthy Cobb will be missed, it was the unhealthy Cobb that we may not miss.

Meanwhile, Clay Matthews had a sack for the Rams. Haven't seen it yet.

Reaction score
Cobb had a "Cobb like day", 4 catches for 69 yards and 1 TD. Looked like he was returning punts for the Cowboys as well.

I think a healthy Cobb will be missed, it was the unhealthy Cobb that we may not miss.

Meanwhile, Clay Matthews had a sack for the Rams. Haven't seen it yet.
He came off the edge untouched. But he still looked like Clay, it was a nice tackle.

Reaction score
Most people recognized Cobb was productive if healthy. If he’s still doing this week in and out at week 6 then he’s done something right. He couldn’t be that in Green Bay the past few seasons.
But today I only saw one play with him and that was a TD. Completely uncovered for an easy throw and catch. The Giants defense was pretty bad all game.
True that. He threw a nice block for a Zeke 2 yard 1st down. I’m not sure that counts. :tup:

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Giants were in agreement with you as he’s already on pace for a productive season with a team we’ll likely see in the playoffs. He would’ve had his way with them all day if not for Cooper and Gallup combining fur 264 yards. I’m happy he’s already proving his naysayers wrong, he’s a good man.
Yeah, he looked good from what I saw. We will have to see how it plays out for the rest of the year. dallas looks loaded. They had a very good first game. Daniel Jones may be called upon for the Giants sooner than later.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Daniel Jones may be called upon for the Giants sooner than later.

I don't follow the Giants much, but I did watch some of the game yesterday. Manning is still playing at an "Eli Manning level", so I doubt Jones takes over due to Eli not playing well. However, the Giants at some point might say "Eli's time is about up and it is time to get Jones ready". Manning is in his final year of his contract and this very well could be his final season in NY or even playing in the NFL. So at some point, you are probably right, this will become Jones team to close the season out with.

Not looking forward to the day when the Packers are in a similar position with Rodgers and his heir apparent. When that day comes, let's just hope the Packers are playing better football, because the Giants looked pretty bad IMO.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is an interesting dynamic that I haven’t seen since MM became HC. We have oodles of potential, possibly top 3 type potency in the league in 2019, but that often equates to requiring additional time to gain momentum.
I absolutely think we can be dangerously good by early-mid 2020. The type that brings a 13-3 or 12-4 type potency and home field through much of the playoffs. But 2019 is an absolute mystery. We could go 11-5 and we could go 8-8. There’s just so many mysteries at so many positions, that goes for coaching too.

I still think we missed at solidifying the Offensive skill positions. I like the bargain shopping there at TE and RB, but we are gambling at WR and this was a deep WR class with lots of solid WR options between round 2 and about 5. Gone are Jordy, Cobb and Monty and right now the best we have comparable is MVS, GMO and Kumerow. Anyone who thinks that’s an even trade at this juncture is kidding themselves. Can #12 carry the team on his shoulders? Absolutely.
Should #12 have to carry the team? Absolutely not.

I do believe we see more TE usage and leverage the experience we have paid so dearly for in FA, but MM all but ignored in 2018.

As it is, this is an educated gamble of throwing enough resources at Defense that we can hold opponents back 7 pts behind what #12 can muster with limited resources. I still believe in the short term strategy, we are playing the odds in an effort to stay relevant and that certainly is one method. But another would be to get more aggressive at O in 2020. Go after a stellar Offensivd player in FA and then hit O with 2 of the first 3 pics or the like. By the close of 2019, I feel it’s time to analyze our Offensive concerns and get aggressive by plugging the 3 weakest O position groups with some upper echelon Offensive talent (I believe that is aligning with our short term 1-2 year plan)

Hey, no offense my friend, but Jordy, Cobb & Monty???? Really???

Jordy left a long time ago, the Jordy we knew, maybe 2015... and I love the guy. Cobb struggled to play full seasons (only 2 out of 8) and really had his production drop 2015 as well. Monty who???

Are you seriously talking about Ty Montgomery? I don’t see how he produced anything for us. For all those who called him “TD Ty,” they left out the U and the R.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts