Many have said we are looking out 1 year. Why? Where are we so weak?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the Aaron Rodgers I witnessed the past two seasons though. Ever since Barr landed on his shoulder something has not been right. People can blame MM all they want but go back and watch the tape. The miss-throws were an issue. I don't know how much more wide open LaFleur is gonna have the receivers. Wide open is still wide open.

You either believe Rodgers undermined his coach or you believe he missed routine throws. Either way we have cause for concern. The injuries have piled up and we have done next to zero to build him a supporting cast.
You are aware that Rodgers only had one full season after that cheap shot from Barr right? I think it's a little too early to draw that conclusion, especially considering he was also injured last year.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Defense there remains the big question mark on IF King or Jackson can stay healthy and/or step up...

I certainly hope they do of course

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know elcid, are you? Great name by the way. I just think if we are playing well enough to get in; then we can do it. Calling an early exit is a bit too specific for me.
I agree that IF we make it to the playoffs, we can take it to the house. I find it unlikely though.

And thanks, you must be the first person to have seen my internet alias and actually make a remark on it. You know who El Cid was?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I believe it takes continuity to make a Championship team, especially at positions like OL, WR, the Defensive Secondary, ST, etc..
While it’s certainly possible, the chances of it all coming together after several major coaching/scheme changes seems unlikely year 1 in a new system. However looking around this team, we will have a lot of 2020 3rd-4th year players who will have a full year in the new system. Particularly at the skill positions.
I definitely think we can (and we will) give some teams a scare this season, but I like our chances once we add 1-2 more proven FA veterans. Plus in 2020, I can see us finally going after a couple of early Offensive picks to protect Aaron and give him more top end weapons to utilize.
I see realistically either a 10-6 season with several losses being very close and then a short playoff run or with this schedule? Maybe an 11-5 season with some good fortune and a trip back to the NFC game. I’d be pleased with that because I think we’re going to be better established in 2020 and we have better competition in the NFC North than we’ve had for a few years. It’s very possible we see only 1 NFC North team finish below .500 in 2019 (Detroit or Vikings)

The only thing certain at this point is Gute has turned the roster over. Whether it will ba successful or not remains to be seen. This could be the 2012 Seattle Seahawks all over again or just another big expensive fart in the wind.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not the Aaron Rodgers I witnessed the past two seasons though. Ever since Barr landed on his shoulder something has not been right.

Rodgers has been healthy for zero full games since that injury.

cle, kc, the rams, and any other team with a very good qb on a rookie deal, can put good veteran depth behind key positions if they want to.

Teams with a starting quarterback on a rookie deal can sign more expensive players at other positions but they still won't be able to adequately replace elite talent suffering injuries.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That's not the Aaron Rodgers I witnessed the past two seasons though. Ever since Barr landed on his shoulder something has not been right. People can blame MM all they want but go back and watch the tape. The miss-throws were an issue. I don't know how much more wide open LaFleur is gonna have the receivers. Wide open is still wide open.

You either believe Rodgers undermined his coach or you believe he missed routine throws. Either way we have cause for concern. The injuries have piled up and we have done next to zero to build him a supporting cast.
He hasn't been healthy...

If you want to be concerned about that, then that's understandable. But he had good moments last season, just wasn't consistent with it. Played through an injury that would keep most on the sidelines.

If he's healthy, he's going to be that guy.

People have made the mistake of betting against him in the past. I'm not going to be that sucker.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that IF we make it to the playoffs, we can take it to the house. I find it unlikely though.

And thanks, you must be the first person to have seen my internet alias and actually make a remark on it. You know who El Cid was?
Off the top of my head I believe he was a Spaniard back when the Muslims took over Spain. He fought against them but I think he may have fought with whoever gave him the most money also. Mostly the king of Spain?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He hasn't been healthy...

If you want to be concerned about that, then that's understandable. But he had good moments last season, just wasn't consistent with it. Played through an injury that would keep most on the sidelines.

If he's healthy, he's going to be that guy.

People have made the mistake of betting against him in the past. I'm not going to be that sucker.

I never said anything about "Betting against Aaron Rodgers". Moving forward I believe there is cause for concern with him staying healthy. The last two years he has been hurt. Even back in 2015 he had the calf issue. The injuries have been pilling up. i would of liked to see the Packers give him more weapons and make a bigger commitment to the offense overall.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams with a starting quarterback on a rookie deal can sign more expensive players at other positions but they still won't be able to adequately replace elite talent suffering injuries.
they can if they're already on the team. they can't replace elite with another elite but an adequate replacement isn't that hard.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are a year away. I like the direction of the defense but it will all depend upon how quickly the offense can pick up the new schemes and terminology this season.
a year and another quality draft with a couple of starters (or 3). preferably a wr, another o-lineman, inside linebacker, corner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve heard that for years now. I really would like nothing more then for the Packers to have a dominant defense and with everything they have invested they absolutely should. Whether to blame Ted Thompson picks or Dom Capers scheme it hasn’t worked out really since 2010. Were almost at 10 YEARS of rebuilding a defense that never really recovered from the Nick Collins injury amongst other things.

IMO the Wildcard to this defense being successful this year comes down to Kevin King staying healthy and as I stated in my original post “i’m not holding my breath.”

It looks good on paper at the moment but once guys start grabbing there hamstrings and groins which has been a yearly occurrence it could become mediocre once again very quickly. At that point even a moderate injury to Adams would become catastrophic and we once again go as Aaron Rodgers goes.
Agree. This is a make or break year for King. He has to 1) stay healthy and 2) leverage his length and athleticism into production - and by that I mean passes defended and INTs. Fortunately, the rest of the Packer’s secondary is looking good, and I expect the DL to give QBs fits, making it easier on the secondary.

All that said, King remains a big unknown. Pettine can probably scheme around him if he needs to. I’d rather see the young man live up to his potential.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the D needed more attention than the O imo. next draft will go to the O.

Yeah the problem is that so many of TT’s last few drafts, all heavy on D, turned out so bad, especially in the secondary. Aside from a lack of depth at S, and with one year under Pettine’s scheme (and along with the FA and draft additions - I fully expect this D to be top 10. That will allow us to focus next year on FAs and draft selections that can help the O. Not that the O was ignored this year, it wasn’t, but there’s more to do. And even with that said, I expect this years’s O to be pretty good.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they can if they're already on the team. they can't replace elite with another elite but an adequate replacement isn't that hard.

I think you over-estimate the number of quality offensive linemen available to be had.

Again, I bring up Marshall Newhouse. Hopefully I don't have to remind you of how not-good he was. You may have been among those who celebrated his departure from the Packers. (Maybe you weren't. Going back 5-6 years of history isn't my idea of fun for this topic.)

And yet, he is still in the league.

Last year in GB = 2013.

Started 14 games in 2017. Started 2 in 2018 as in injury replacement. Currently on the Saints roster.

I think you need to adjust down your expectations, at minimum, for a backup left tackle.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were weak in a lot of areas last year. Not defending MM, it was time to go, but no coach could have won with last year's talent level.

McCarthy was part of the problem but he was by no means all of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Most NFL teams don't have an adequate backup at left tackle, wide receiver or quarterback sitting on the bench excelling in case the starter suffers an injury.

That will allow us to focus next year on FAs and draft selections that can help the O.

While the Packers might focus on offense in the draft next year they won't have a ton of cap space available to sign free agents.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most NFL teams don't have an adequate backup at left tackle, wide receiver or quarterback sitting on the bench excelling in case the starter suffers an injury.
"excelling?" we're talking adequate. someone who could step in and not be terrible, but be...average or slightly above. i think that's attainable with a qb on a rookie deal. most teams don't have those type back-ups because they don't have qb's on a rookie deals. the one's that do are clearly deeper at most every position unless they choose to stack their team with high quality starters.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you over-estimate the number of quality offensive linemen available to be had.

Again, I bring up Marshall Newhouse. Hopefully I don't have to remind you of how not-good he was. You may have been among those who celebrated his departure from the Packers. (Maybe you weren't. Going back 5-6 years of history isn't my idea of fun for this topic.)

And yet, he is still in the league.

Last year in GB = 2013.

Started 14 games in 2017. Started 2 in 2018 as in injury replacement. Currently on the Saints roster.

I think you need to adjust down your expectations, at minimum, for a backup left tackle.
no one ever thought newhouse was adequate. the Packers didn't have a qb on a rookie deal then either. he'd just signed his first highest-paid-qb-in-the-league deal. as for newhouse they to go with what they had. they didn't have the space to do otherwise. they had several guys to extend then and the following year (matthews, jordy, neal) and already had several high priced players (for that time).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one ever thought newhouse was adequate. the Packers didn't have a qb on a rookie deal then either. he'd just signed his first highest-paid-qb-in-the-league deal. as for newhouse they to go with what they had. they didn't have the space to do otherwise. they had several guys to extend then and the following year (matthews, jordy, neal) and already had several high priced players (for that time).
That's kind of the point, Newhouse IS adequate by NFL standards as evidenced by the number of years he's found a roster position and playing time in this league. Adequate isn't defined by ideal on paper, it's defined by the reality that is the NFL and the quality of players available. We can want better all we want, it doesn't mean those guys are just hanging out waiting for a job or even that easy to come across in the first place. Newhouse is a perfect example.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of the point, Newhouse IS adequate by NFL standards as evidenced by the number of years he's found a roster position and playing time in this league. Adequate isn't defined by ideal on paper, it's defined by the reality that is the NFL and the quality of players available. We can want better all we want, it doesn't mean those guys are just hanging out waiting for a job or even that easy to come across in the first place. Newhouse is a perfect example.
maybe now he is with all his experience but back then he wasn't. to me adequate means average. if someone's below average they're inadequate. teams with qb's on a rookie deal can have depth at average or better at key positions if they want. many choose to spend it on starters rather than depth .

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall Newhouse still isn't good, he never has been. But when put up against what is available at the back up position, he's as adequate as they come. As soon as you can be replaced in this league, you are for the most part. Maybe he hangs on a year or 2. if you're in the league 8-9 years and not all that good, it tells you the level available around the league.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought Newhouse was good and am surprised he is still in the league. Thing is...it would not surprise me if he got better line coaching and was able to at least play better than here. I hope and think that we are better off with a new line coach. A lot better off. A lot of people have said Campen was really good. I think he was part of the overall problem at GB.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought Newhouse was good and am surprised he is still in the league. Thing is...it would not surprise me if he got better line coaching and was able to at least play better than here. I hope and think that we are better off with a new line coach. A lot better off. A lot of people have said Campen was really good. I think he was part of the overall problem at GB.
That bum is still in the league!? Holy ****! I'm honestly amazed he's still in considering how mediocre/terrible he was here. :eek::roflmao::roflmao:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to me adequate means average. if someone's below average they're inadequate.

Do we get to devolve into a discussion of arithmetic mean vs median average? Because I feel that's where we're going...

Arithmetic mean, sure, Newhouse might be below average. But I bet he'd fall right in middle of the median.

The problem is we have Joe Thomases and David Bhaktiaris with their 99 Madden ratings skewing the mean. Compared to those guys, and other elite left tackles, yeah, hell of a step down. Quite the step down from 2010, broken down and duct taped Chad Clifton.

But that doesn't mean below-average. He's still kicking around the league. He must be better than a great many other linemen who have come and gone. Hell, the dude was a 5th round pick in 2010. I'm sure the teams he's played for have tried to replace him. And yet, there he is.

(And then we have the problem of defining what average is when we can't just compare Madden ratings...or any number, for that matter)

To me, he's the prototypical average, journeyman offensive lineman. Exactly the person a team would sign for a backup, number 3 swing tackle. If he were younger and/or better, he'd be getting starter money to be a starter somewhere.

Trouble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think everyone is to optimistic on Aaron Rodgers . Unless he focuses on running plays instead of running the clock out to draw a penalty for free play - no matter who plays with him they will be out of sync. 8-8 best I see unless Rodgers can change his ways.

Members online

Latest posts