Many have said we are looking out 1 year. Why? Where are we so weak?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are headed for the super bowl this year. The major stumbling block for me is that we are in a tough division. So where are we so weak? Recievers. I believe we will be good. O line improved. D line vastly improved. Dbs we have a lot of players there. Martinez is solid. And we have some options to help him out. Not perfect but we have a good team! Would love to see us take over the division this year with winning the first two games. But like I said, the division is tough. But so are we! My focus at this point is going all the way. I think many say it is two years away simply because they don't want to be let down. But hell, we are going to be tough! btw. The new coaching staff is going to be an improvement...period. No what ifs or pick and choosing negative scenarios. Evaluate the team as is.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in complete agreement that this team is good enough to make the Superbowl. Call me optimistic if you'd like, but the way I see it, last year we were close in many of those games and we really didn't get blown out. Hopefully the offense can get there crap together and the defense can build off what happened last year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to go so far as to predict a Super Bowl, but if we don't at least make the playoffs it will be a disappointment.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to go so far as to predict a Super Bowl, but if we don't at least make the playoffs it will be a disappointment.

I certainly agree that not making the playoffs would be a disappointment but there is a big difference in predicting a Super Bowl and thinking we can make it. I am not going to predict one either but I do think we have a realistic chance of making it and not just a "theoretically every team has a chance" chance.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the team is ready for a deep run now and was last season and the season before. As others have said, I agree that MM lost his edge after the Seattle playoff debacle several seasons ago and last year was the culmination of that. There were just enough top flight players yet to make a run. The staff was just wound too tight to make the best calls. I expect a run-the-table to finish the season type of year coming up.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Has any team with a new head coach and a all new coaching stuff ever made it to the Super Bowl and won?

Jon Gruden with the Bucs won a SB his first year but had previously been a HC with the Ray-duhs.

George Seifert was promoted from DC to HC of the 49ers when Walsh retired and won SB XXIV.

Don McCafferty was promoted from Colts OC to HC when Don Shula left to coach the Dolphins. and he won SB V.

Technically, Seifert & McCafferty were both new HCs but each had been with their teams for about 10 years.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest what team in the NFC truly scares you? Yes each team has their own advantages and weaknesses, but honestly what team do you honestly believe that we can't go up against and beat them?

LA Rams? A solid team, but when push came to shove they faded under the pressure

NO? Yes they have Brees, but A. He's more prone to turn the ball over in comparison to Rodgers. B. He definitely is starting to decline. C. Rodgers can out duel him any day of the week.

Sea? We should've beaten those bums last year! Rodgers was the reason why we lost that game in all honesty. But in all seriousness Wilson is starting to become a thorn to our side that we need to exorcise. Rodgers can outduel Wilson any day of the week.

Dal? An overrated team, who's ***** we've served on multiple occasions. Don't get me wrong they are not a team we should take lightly, but Dak is overrated. He's a good QB but not as good as people believe he is.

Atl? We owe these bums a beatdown. Granted we won last year, but still. One minute they are hot, another minute they are not.

Chi? They will go as far as Tribusky's arm will take them, which isn't far imo. They barely beat us in Soldier Field, and again that game was because Rodgers had a bad game. They have a formidable defense, but it's nothing we haven't seen or handled before.

Reaction score
We have enough pieces to be valid well into the playoffs. If this Defense plays to the ability like I think that can? (I believe the current roster can break under the 20pt average D scoring barrier)
then we could be very dangerous with simply an above average Offense.

Much will be predicated on how fast these guys adapt to the new Offense and coaching staff and secondly, how many of our young players move it up a notch performance wise by mid season and beyond. It may take a quarter or so to gain some steam.

We have a relatively young team with a plethora of talent led by a HOF QB. We need 100% buy in that we can take it to the next level as a unit. While it’s extremely early, we seem to be starting to get our swagger back and that’s something I haven’t seen for a few years.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would love to be optimistic and say the Packers are Super Bowl Bound, but this team will still only go as far as #12 can carry them. If Rodgers goes down, the team will follow.

While Adams is a top 10 WR, the rest are pretty much unproven hopefuls. So far their performances and stats are a reflection of #12. If Allison and any of the other young players step up their games, then the offense will be in decent shape. The running game with Aaron Jones is ok, but is also benefited by defenses paying more attention to #12 and the pass. The starting 5 on the OL have to stay healthy. One or two of them miss any significant time and could be trouble for Rodgers and the offense.

I think the telling story for the Packers will be the defense. Lots of new pieces that could improve it dramatically or just a little bit. I am glad they didn't keep Joe Whitt as the Secondary coach, but still wonder why Simmons was retained and promoted. No more excuses with the secondary, way too much has been invested in it.

So if all the stars align, sure the Packers could win another Super Bowl, but I think there are at least 10 other teams that are better than the Packers right now. If the stars also align for some of those teams, it could be a struggle just to make the playoffs for the Packers.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the cloud surrounding Rodgers leadership and the transition to a new system has been the media focus this offseason. Those stories get more traction than others that would proclaim our realistic chances for a title. I think the team certainly has a chance to make a run... Like others have said... we need Rodgers (and probably Adams) to stay healthy, and we need the defense to be top 10 to realistically have a chance at a title.

The Bears, Vikes, Saints, Eagles, Cowboys, Rams and Seahawks all will be tough opponents this year. I can see the Falcons rebounding as well.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are we weak? Same place we have been weak and been bitten in years past..

Depth. Our most difficult opponent over the last decade+? The trainers room and strength and conditioning coaching.

If we avoid the MASS amounts of piling up injuries we see year in and out, I always like our odds.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will really come down to the development of the WRs after Davante Adams. I believe the D is legitimitely a SB caliber type of Defense (provided King can stay healthy opposite Alexander)

So the question marks are really...
1) Can MVS and ESB take a solid leap? We don't need them to be 80 receptions, 1000+ yard type of guys... but they NEED to be 50 rec + 700-800+ yard type of guys

2) Can, PRESUMABLY, the addition of Turner and Jenkins solidify the INTERIOR O line questions? Primarily the Guard spots

3) Can Crosby not be a DA and make some kicks

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are we weak? Same place we have been weak and been bitten in years past..

Depth. Our most difficult opponent over the last decade+? The trainers room and strength and conditioning coaching.

If we avoid the MASS amounts of piling up injuries we see year in and out, I always like our odds.
Hi sjb! :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are headed for the super bowl this year. The major stumbling block for me is that we are in a tough division. So where are we so weak? Recievers. I believe we will be good. O line improved. D line vastly improved. Dbs we have a lot of players there. Martinez is solid. And we have some options to help him out. Not perfect but we have a good team! Would love to see us take over the division this year with winning the first two games. But like I said, the division is tough. But so are we! My focus at this point is going all the way. I think many say it is two years away simply because they don't want to be let down. But hell, we are going to be tough! btw. The new coaching staff is going to be an improvement...period. No what ifs or pick and choosing negative scenarios. Evaluate the team as is.
Yeah I don’t think Gluten made the additions/changes he did to win in two years. Injury is the only thing that can keep GB from being viable contenders in the North. And playing against solid division rivals only makes the team that much more ready for the playoffs. I share your enthusiasm for THIS year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah now I remember.
Gruden took over Tony Dungy's team and took his Buccaneers all the to the Super Bowl
after Tony created that team from the ground up.
Good point. That was Tony Dungy’s team. For Gruden, a ring is still a ring and he earned it, but he had a helluva start.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. That was Tony Dungy’s team. For Gruden, a ring is still a ring and he earned it, but he had a helluva start.
I feel the same thing regarding Steve Kerr inheriting Mark Jackson's Warriors.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So where are we so weak?
i don't think we're so weak as we are an unknown in transition. lot's of questions. the schedule is tough...especially the first few games. a bad start could kill the season. there's the new offense (with rodgers not being fully invested in it...rmfe), and the associated learning curve. other than o-line depth, and a backup TE, they didn't add any weapons to the O. the D looks much better on paper but if king or martinez go down they're in trouble. 10-6 is possible with everything going their way but 8-8, 9-7, is more realistic.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think we're so weak as we are an unknown in transition. lot's of questions. the schedule is tough...especially the first few games. a bad start could kill the season. there's the new offense (with rodgers not being fully invested in it...rmfe), and the associated learning curve. other than o-line depth, and a backup TE, they didn't add any weapons to the O. the D looks much better on paper but if king or martinez go down they're in trouble. 10-6 is possible with everything going their way but 8-8, 9-7, is more realistic.
With respect. Screw that! 10-6 imo is realistic. 14-2 - 12-4 is optimistic.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this could be the year, the Packers could make legitimate Super Bowl run. The tricky part is that other teams, especially in the NFC have also improved their rosters. I think there is a replenishment of talent and hunger among the players. I like the LaFleur hiring. When play-calling actually puts the players in favorable positions, you will see Aaron Rodgers show more trust, and the overall chemistry and cohesiveness of the team will skyrocket. There is depth at every position, and I think the secondary will be a nightmare for opponents. I'm calling 15+ INTs for the unit.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I’m not holding my breath with these guys anymore. Things do look pretty good on paper at the moment but once the yearly injury bug sets in it’s the same song and dance all over again. Until I see this team impose there will and run the ball along with playing an attacking style of defense that controls the LOS I won’t believe it.

To me it’s all going to come down to once again how Aaron Rodgers plays and him staying healthy.

The defense should be better but not certain it will hold up to a 16 game NFL season. I am almost certain the offense will not hold up. If Adams gets hurt or even nicked up where he isn’t as effective things could take a serious turn for the worse. We wasted a Golden Opportunity to make the offense elite over the offseason. I’m not sure we will be able to recover.

Unless this defense somehow becomes Elite overnight and beats the injury odds I don’t see how we go to a Super Bowl. Just Sayin.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
the D needed more attention than the O imo. next draft will go to the O.

I’ve heard that for years now. I really would like nothing more then for the Packers to have a dominant defense and with everything they have invested they absolutely should. Whether to blame Ted Thompson picks or Dom Capers scheme it hasn’t worked out really since 2010. Were almost at 10 YEARS of rebuilding a defense that never really recovered from the Nick Collins injury amongst other things.

IMO the Wildcard to this defense being successful this year comes down to Kevin King staying healthy and as I stated in my original post “i’m not holding my breath.”

It looks good on paper at the moment but once guys start grabbing there hamstrings and groins which has been a yearly occurrence it could become mediocre once again very quickly. At that point even a moderate injury to Adams would become catastrophic and we once again go as Aaron Rodgers goes.

Members online

Latest posts