Mahomes too hyped up, can be like Culpepper

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense to Mahomes but I still don't "get" the hype so much, too many people "jump on" the bandwagon too quick.

He's looked great and seems like a great guy BUT...

I would still want to see at least 3-4 years before people start calling this guy the next "Great NFL Quarterback".

For Russel Wilson I can DEFINITELY see it as he's proven, and with basically no receiving help too. Russell also has already WON a Super Bowl, so he's already "done something". Great stats, great guy, already won a SB ring... I totally understand it here 100%.

But for Mahomes, I just don't "get it"

Do any of you all remember Daunte Culpepper??

He took a redshirt year and then just SET THE NFL ON FIRE his 2nd year, just like Mahomes, and then got hurt and pretty much was never really the same except for 1 other year (2004).

Like Mahomes, Culpepper also made the Madden cover and took his team DEEP into the playoffs in that "magical 2nd year" ... so go figure

Off Topic: I have a 2nd residence in the NYC/NJ area and Eli Manning is like a god in that area if only because he's won 2 Super Bowls. But obviously aside from those 2 rings, statistically wise he's nothing impressive.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joke thread, again.

Anybody who watches Mahomes play can see that he's something special.

Players don't just put up 5,000 yards and 50 TD's and have it be a fluke. Ridiculous.

And Culpepper was good until he was injured. But even he had a couple average years sandwiched between his good years. Mahomes is on another level. He's Aaron Rodgers with better physical tools.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the numbers Culpepper had in his first year, they're similar to what Mahomes did

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would I look at numbers having watched both of them play? and Culpepper was pretty decent until he destroyed his knee. Mahomes is better than Culpepper in terms of what he can do on the field, that much is obvious.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Culpepper didn't hurt his knee that badly in his 2nd year starting bud

R-E-L-A-X

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the numbers Culpepper had in his first year, they're similar to what Mahomes did

Are they?

311 ypg. TD% of 8.6%. INT% of 2.1%. TD to Int ratio of 4.16:1

246 ypg. TD% of 7.0%. INT% of 3.6%. TD to INT ratio of 2.06:1

Not very similar.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you come up with relax all on your own? Mahomes is better than culpeppers, you're saying they're alike. 2 eyeballs will tell you that is a pretty silly comparison.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R-E-L-A-X

You're missing the point here.

My point is that the "sample size" and "game tape" is simply TOO SMALL thus far

Mahomes has only played 24 Regular Season games thus far and that's a FACT. We need to see him sustain this level of play for at least ~48+ (equivalent of 3 seasons worth of games = 16 x 3 = 48) to claim him the "next great QB"

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joke thread, again.

Anybody who watches Mahomes play can see that he's something special.

Players don't just put up 5,000 yards and 50 TD's and have it be a fluke. Ridiculous.

And Culpepper was good until he was injured. But even he had a couple average years sandwiched between his good years. Mahomes is on another level. He's Aaron Rodgers with better physical tools.

I would perhaps say even more so Culpepper went bad once the Vikes lost Randy Moss. He had a good arm but when you got guys like Moss and Burleson in their primes getting open a lot, it's going to make you look even better.

I think what the OP has all wrong here is there's just nothing in Mahomes style of play or the kinds of throws he can make to warrant bringing up names like Culpepper or Eli.

OP, you got it completely twisted and I'd bet you never even seen the guy play.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still too small of a sample size. 24 games.

That's all. I think he's looked great and is a great guy and all but you have to sustain this over time to be called the next "great QB". It happens all the time

D

Deleted member 6794

still too small of a sample size. 24 games.

That's all. I think he's looked great and is a great guy and all but you have to sustain this over time to be called the next "great QB". It happens all the time

Mahomes (112.1 passer rating) has been by far the most efficient quarterback in NFL history over his first 24 starts, leading Warner (105.7) by 6.4 points. It doesn't happen all the time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R-E-L-A-X

You're missing the point here.

My point is that the "sample size" and "game tape" is simply TOO SMALL thus far

Mahomes has only played 24 Regular Season games thus far and that's a FACT. We need to see him sustain this level of play for at least ~48+ (equivalent of 3 seasons worth of games = 16 x 3 = 48) to claim him the "next great QB"
it wasn't even funny the first time, but continue if you must.

and you're missing the point, even though Culpepper was a decent enough QB, Mahomes is far and away better than he was and anyone with 2 eyeballs can tell you that. He moves better, he throws just as well from being set and can zip from a lot of other positions Culpepper couldn't. They are not remotely the same.

He's already one of the top 5 QB's playing the game today, easily. He's clearly better than most already. The only thing that would prevent 3 more years of great play is injury because he can clearly do it all.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He over-hyped in a sense since he hasn't won anything yet. But his first few years have been pretty spectacular.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even believe someone would bring these 2 up in comparison, as if their strengths and style of play were remotely similar LOL

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a blk man the only thing I see similar is their skin color. Had you compared him to Rodgers, I could see that because both are special. Forget numbers, just watch both throw the football.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a blk man the only thing I see similar is their skin color. Had you compared him to Rodgers, I could see that because both are special. Forget numbers, just watch both throw the football.

nothing to do with that... just looking at similar "sample size" and similar "Breakout" years.

Culpepper redshirted his 1st NFL season and took the NFL by storm his 2nd year which were what were AT THAT TIME incredible numbers and took his team to the NFC Championship game that season which he lost... and then made the Madden cover the next year and got hurt

Mahomes redhisrted his 1st NFL season and took the NFL by storm his 2nd year and put up incredible numbers this past year and took his team to the AFC Championship game which he lost ... and then made the Madden cover the next year and got hurt

Culpepper had Moss and Carter
Mahomes had/has Kelce and Hill

Are you SURRREEEE there isn't a similarity here?????? It's PAINFULLY obvious...

Not taking anything away from Mahomes, just saying this small "sample size" is VERY similar and it is the REALITY.

R-E-L-A-X.

Members online

Latest posts