Lost in the shuffle...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All you have to do is put on Ridley's tape and he jumps off the screen. I think he will be a great pro. Great. Some guys don't test as well as other but CR can do everything and do it well.

I'm not sold, I've watched a lot of his games and I'd also rather not have a 24 year old rookie receiver. I honestly don't think there's a wide receiver worth a top 15 pick this year. I'd much rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold, I've watched a lot of his games and I'd also rather not have a 24 year old rookie receiver. I honestly don't think there's a wide receiver worth a top 15 pick this year. I'd much rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd.
I am in no way advocating we take him at 14. No way! I am just saying I believe in the kids skills and think he will be a player. I should've clarified.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ridley is regarded by everyone as the number 1 wr and most likely, depending on the run on qb's, as a top 10 pick. i'm good with him as our #1 if he's there and the cb issue being solved. if not then cb has to be the pick.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ridley is regarded by everyone as the number 1 wr and most likely, depending on the run on qb's, as a top 10 pick. i'm good with him as our #1 if he's there and the cb issue being solved. if not then cb has to be the pick.
I can get down with that. My point of "no way at 14" was predicated on nothing (or not enough) being done with the CB issue...
His age is of no concern to me. He could have 6 years of high-end production and just be turning 30. If you get 6 great years out of just about any pick, you're living right. The guy has plenty of "game speed", great hands, polished route runner and has championship pedigree. You won't have to ride this guy to get the most out of him.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any of you guys watch Norte Dame much this year, I'm curious about their big WR.

He's probably going in the second. He's fast and strong, but there have been questions about his hands and body catching. Some people were comparing him to a raw AJ Green. It was hard to get a read on him this season though because the quarterback play was awful. I'd actually like to see him on the team.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine, as long as you promise me to never hand the ball off to Cobb ;)

As long as he is healthy, I see Jones as our #1 RB. As successful as Monty was when he was first switched to RB, I just don't see his body holding up, nor do I really like his running style, unless there is a big enough hole for him to get through.

I think Williams is going to be our "#1" because he's a bit more versatile. he can pass block, run or catch. Jones is definitely more dynamic with the ball in his hands, but i saw him get tossed right back into the QB's lap on more than 1 or 2 occassions. I think that's going to limit his opportunities earlier in games. After things have been set up he'll get more touches and be used as change of pace throughout a game. If he strengthens up his pass protection, he's our most dynamic runner. But right now I think Williams is the most durable in terms of running the entire offense with him on the field.

OK just so he doesn't feel left out I'll take the other guy...what's his name...Mays?

Or they could just resign Janis and he can be the #2!!! :roflmao:

Janis is #2

D

Deleted member 6794

With Jordy Nelson being gone who moves into the #2 wr spot? Is it Cobb? I’d say no because Cobb has never been able to produce outside the slot position. I’m having the feeling that MM and Gute are thinking WR by at least rd 2??

The Packers definitely have to address the wide receiver position this offseason as well as the team is in need of a starting caliber player opposite of Adams. I would prefer Gutekunst to sign a veteran to a reasonable deal.

I'm not all that concerned with WR. We have passing options and we have options on offense with a QB that should be able to make any and all work well.

Rodgers struggled at times once the offense didn't feature a number of decent pass catchers though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Pryor is an interesting prospect, only one good year (2016) and that was in Cleveland. Whether its injuries or another case of a guy to deep into his own head, he may be hungry enough to prove himself and what better place to do it than in Green Bay with #12. I honestly don't know much about him, other than he came out of OSU as a QB and has the size I love for a WR.
That could definitely be a "lightening in a bottle" steal of a move if it were to come to fruition. What he was able to do without a quarterback in Cleveland was quite impressive. Maybe it just wasn't the right fit in Washington?

Either way, I'm perfectly okay with taking a flyer on him on a cheap 1-year prove it deal.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely have to address the wide receiver position this offseason as well as the team is in need of a starting caliber player opposite of Adams. I would prefer Gutekunst to sign a veteran to a reasonable deal.

Rodgers struggled at times once the offense didn't feature a number of decent pass catchers though.

Think that was more so due to guys not being able to separate.., and their route concepts..which imo needs a major overhaul. I’ve never seen any QB have to run around and buy time with his legs so that guys uncovered in my life than Aaron Rodgers. If you put Aaron Rodgers in LA with Mcvay he’d throw 50 touchdowns a season. And collectively GB has a way better reviving core.

D

Deleted member 6794

Think that was more so due to guys not being able to separate.., and their route concepts..which imo needs a major overhaul. I’ve never seen any QB have to run around and buy time with his legs so that guys uncovered in my life than Aaron Rodgers. If you put Aaron Rodgers in LA with Mcvay he’d throw 50 touchdowns a season. And collectively GB has a way better reviving core.

The Packers receivers definitely had troubles creating separation in 2015 and the coaching staff didn't help them out enough by using other route concepts. That's the point I was trying to make though that Rodgers struggled without the WRs performing at least at a decent level.

BTW Goff was one of 10 quarterbacks that took more time on average to throw the ball than #12 last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Jordy does for the Raiders. If he has a marginal year, many will say "see, he was done" and possibly ignore what he may have done with Rodgers. I know its an underlying theme that floats in and out of this forum, but I don't think enough can be said about how #12 makes wide receivers look better than they actually might be. Which is another reason it would be nice to sign a FA WR with some skills, that just hasn't worked out in the system he has been working in. #12 could change that and it might not cost the Packers a whole lot of money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put it and for me this got "lost in the shuffle"......I was just looking at the draft order.

Why do the Packers pick 14th in Rd 1, but in other rds they seem to shuffle positions with the 2 teams they had identical records with, Washington and Cincy?
I'm not including the 2 swapped picks with the Browns or compensatory.

I guess I have to conclude this is how they do a 3 way tie breaker?

Rd. 1: 14
Rd. 2: 13
Rd 3: 12
Rd. 4: Now 1, but was 14
Rd. 5: Now 1, but was 13
Rd. 6: 12
Rd. 7: 14

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers receivers definitely had troubles creating separation in 2015 and the coaching staff didn't help them out enough by using other route concepts. That's the point I was trying to make though that Rodgers struggled without the WRs performing at least at a decent level.

BTW Goff was one of 10 quarterbacks that took more time on average to throw the ball than #12 last season.

Think that was more of a case of inexperience. Rodgers pre game reads and just overall feel for what the defense is trying to do is probably his best attribute. If you watch the Rams route concepts they are a thing of beauty. They run a lot of crossing and legal pick routes which is something that would be unstoppable if you had a QB like Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Think that was more of a case of inexperience. Rodgers pre game reads and just overall feel for what the defense is trying to do is probably his best attribute. If you watch the Rams route concepts they are a thing of beauty. They run a lot of crossing and legal pick routes which is something that would be unstoppable if you had a QB like Rodgers.

I don't watch many other games, but I do know when I watch Packer games, the other team seems to use "pick plays" a lot more than the Packers. When you have slower WR's, you might as well take what the refs will give you and incorporate them in. I can see a situation this year with both Graham and Cobb benefiting each other immensely with crossing routes.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't watch many other games, but I do know when I watch Packer games, the other team seems to use "pick plays" a lot more than the Packers. When you have slower WR's, you might as well take what the refs will give you and incorporate them in. I can see a situation this year with both Graham and Cobb benefiting each other immensely with crossing routes.

Exactl, and that’s because teams felt they could get physical with our WRs at the line and run them off their spots by disrupting timing. Mix in the fact that we didn’t have a TE, no burners at wr, and Hundley at QB I would’ve done the same thing. But because MM is a moron when it comes to being able to adjust they never really schemed and thing to help get the WRs open..his same lame response was guys need to win more 1 on 1.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactl, and that’s because teams felt they could get physical with our WRs at the line and run them off their spots by disrupting timing. Mix in the fact that we didn’t have a TE, no burners at wr, and Hundley at QB I would’ve done the same thing. But because MM is a moron when it comes to being able to adjust they never really schemed and thing to help get the WRs open..his same lame response was guys need to win more 1 on 1.
Hard for a defense to win one on ones, when your CB's are playing 10 yards back. Hard to win one on ones on offense, when your WR's don't have a lot of speed and are running only routes that Hundley knows. One of Rodgers greatest assets, besides his arm and mind, are his feet. He too often has to keep a play alive, because nobody is open on their initial route. It isn't until he has danced around the pocket long enough, that he finds someone that for whatever reason broke out of coverage or he is so damn good, he can just thread the needle on a pretty well covered WR.

I was actually shocked to see that the Packers were 11th in the league in YAC at 1959 yards. However, they ranked 30th in average yards/catch at 10 ypc.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard for a defense to win one on ones, when your CB's are playing 10 yards back. Hard to win one on ones on offense, when your WR's don't have a lot of speed and are running only routes that Hundley knows. One of Rodgers greatest assets, besides his arm and mind, are his feet. He too often has to keep a play alive, because nobody is open on their initial route. It isn't until he has danced around the pocket long enough, that he finds someone that for whatever reason broke out of coverage or he is so damn good, he can just thread the needle on a pretty well covered WR.

I was actually shocked to see that the Packers were 11th in the league in YAC at 1959 yards. However, they ranked 30th in average yards/catch at 10 ypc.

Well if you go back to even like 2010 the Packers have always been near the top of the league as far as YAC. With Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Jordy that was something that Bennett preached to our WRs was to get yards after the catch and they actually have been fairly good at it. So that stat doesn’t shock me...the other stat was a combination of Hundleys inability to throw guys open and MM play calling for Hundley.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts