Looks like Wells will be leaving

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares let him go, he could be replaced. There are a lot of verteran centers this year in free agency.

OP
OP
fettpett

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're living in 98 again, only this time without a superbowl loss. It's starting.

Last year there was massive optimism that the Packers would be a dynasty, could win 3-5 SB's over the next 10 years.

now there is this massive pessimism that the team is falling apart and going to repeat the mistakes of last time around.

wow...I've never seen this kind of bi-polarism outside of politics.

Packers went 15-2 for the season. Won 22 straight including a Super Bowl. Good grief. They played 2 bad games. Yes the defense needs some work, but not some massive overhaul.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
That's football, Players come and players go. Good GM's and Coaches adjust and we have two of the best and will have for a long time. But this thread is premature. As the article pointed out, we may put our best offer on the table just before free agency or he may test the waters and find that the grass is really not that green out there.

Reaction score
Last year there was massive optimism that the Packers would be a dynasty, could win 3-5 SB's over the next 10 years.

now there is this massive pessimism that the team is falling apart and going to repeat the mistakes of last time around.

wow...I've never seen this kind of bi-polarism outside of politics.

Packers went 15-2 for the season. Won 22 straight including a Super Bowl. Good grief. They played 2 bad games. Yes the defense needs some work, but not some massive overhaul.

Well I hate to ask you but please give me at least one indication that they aren't falling apart. Working to keep Finley and not keeping Wells is going in the way wrong direction if you ask me.

OP
OP
fettpett

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hate to ask you but please give me at least one indication that they aren't falling apart. Working to keep Finley and not keeping Wells is going in the way wrong direction if you ask me.

show me where they are. Wells is good player, not saying he isn't, nor that we shouldn't try to keep him. BUT, he's 31 and plays one of the more physical parts of the game. There are guys that can play the position either other FA's or in the draft.

WR's aren't falling apart, nor will they anytime soon. They are a group of good young guys. Driver probably wont be back, but again he's in his late 30's.

TE's is pretty well set, espeically if Finely is resigned. Quarless will take time to come back from his knee injury, but is good, and there are a couple other good players at the position.

CB we're pretty well set, I would like if they added a another guy and dumped Pephera, but other than that, we're set.

Only places that we really need a huge upgrade or the LB and DLine.

OP
OP
fettpett

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest thing to remember, is that Ted Thompson Always goes for youth and would rather dump a guy a season early than a season late. I don't always agree with it (Marco Rivera comes to mind) but doesn't mean it's a bad thing for the long term health of the team.

Wolf's biggest mistake IMHO is that he didn't focus on replacing the guys that needed to be, who were old, and didn't focus on rejuvenating the team as the years went on. the 1997-98 teams were long in the tooth, this team isn't, it's one of the youngest in the league.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Ugh we will need a good center if he goes. The offensive line is the most important key to a good offense in my eyes.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Center would be another position to fill. The # of holes to fill gets deeper. :(

And before anyone says we went 15-2, and we can expect similar, it won't happen if a good number of things aren't addressed this off season.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

If your goal is staying young and building through the draft it makes perfect sense. Wells is old, Finley is young and that's the way it is.

They should be working to keep both of them anyway. They are both important pieces to this team.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, the NFL is a youth movement, and unfortunately, Scott Wells is on the wrong side of 30 to be receiving a long term, high dollar deal. I don't know if EDS is ready to step up and fill the role or not, but I don't believe the sky will be falling if we lose Wells to free agency either. Unfortunately we simply cannot keep everyone and give everyone what they want.

Besides, Wells isn't even in the core 5 or 6 players that you build your team around for the next 5-10 years. Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews, Bulaga and Sitton are, to me, the 5 most important pieces on our team. You could also make a case of throwing Jordy and Tramon's names in there as players you should plan on keeping for the next 5 years or more, but that's about it.

And while I don't expect us to be active in free agency unless it makes sense, I do get the feeling based on several articles I've read that there will be a lot of centers that hit the market. Put another way, the market may become saturated at that position, which means we could very well retain Wells at a more friendly deal.

Regardless, it won't be the end of the world. Yes the O-Line will take a step back for a while, but we'll adjust, like we always do.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless, it won't be the end of the world. Yes the O-Line will take a step back for a while, but we'll adjust, like we always do.

I agree. Also, don't forget that last year TJ Lang and Marshall Newhouse were first year starters. I would expect them
and Bulaga and Sitton to be even better this upcoming year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your goal is staying young and building through the draft it makes perfect sense. Wells is old, Finley is young and that's the way it is.

They should be working to keep both of them anyway. They are both important pieces to this team.
The goal is to increase your depth of talent - not just staying young. Wells' talent is declining. Finley is increasing (in theory). A young center on the team will have ascending talent. Therefore in a few years, your team is better off by going with a young center now.

My thinking is that we will resign Wells. He will probably test the FA waters for a week or two and then come back with a reasonable contract from the Pack.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wells was probably the most consistent OL on the team this past season. He's on the wrong side of 30 but his play hasn't declined yet. In fact I think he's slightly improved over the past couple of seasons. McGinn says he gave up one-half sack (giving him a total of 14 sacks allowed in 8 years) and gave up the fewest pressures. Yes, he isn't out on the edge but that's pretty impressive. He's smart and makes the line calls. I'd like him to stay in Green Bay because he's playing very well and for the sake of continuity; but certainly not at any cost.

This is premature but if he's really pissed because he didn't get extended or because years ago they started Spitz ahead of him, he's only hurting himself. It's a business and if he can't wrap his head around that, that's on him. It helps the Packers to have so many UFA centers hitting the market and the one AFC personnel guy put him in the middle of the top 5. He's undersized - that doesn't bother me but it may hurt his value in the market. I was pleasantly surprised by the play of EDS and he has some experience at OC, so if Wells leaves he'll probably step into the starting role. He won't be as good as Wells but of course he's younger. And if Wells leaves, I think Thompson will add a couple of rookies to compete with him and Sampson Genus (who has good size and a year in the system - and that exhausts what I know about him). IMO the second to fifth or so rated OC in the draft has a better chance of landing in Green Bay than the Badgers center, who I really like. Maybe an UDFA too.

(SpartaChris, I know you limited your list to 5 but I would expand it to include Raji, in addition to Tramon and Jordy who you mentioned. And if Collins returns, he will be a core player for 5 years IMO - he's only 28.)
- - - - - - - - - -
[rant] This is not just with regard to Scott Wells but I wish pro athletes wouldn't say and/or writers wouldn't write things like the following which appeared in the jsonline story linked above, "… Wells and his wife realize this is their last chance to achieve financial security." Again, I'm just using Wells as an example. But if he and his family aren't financially secure by now, they don't deserve to be and that's not intended as a knock on him since I assume he is.

Wells was drafted at the end of the 7th round in 2004 and got a very modest rookie deal. Well above the average American's pay, but very modest by NFL standards. Then in 2006 he received a 5-year extension worth $15,000,000. Assume he didn't save a penny from '04 to his contract extension. Also assume he paid the top income tax rates every year with no exemptions or deductions, which of course he didn't (IOW I'm being VERY conservative regarding his after tax income) and he netted about $8,700,000 over these past 5 years. Then assume he averaged spending $500,000 per year for those five years. That's an awful lot of money to spend in and around Green Bay, Wisconsin but maybe he paid off a house or two and funded a large life insurance policy and even pissed away some money, etc. Further assume he lost $200,000 in investments over that time. That leaves about $6,000,000. Set aside $1,000,000 for whatever reason and if he has been half-way smart with his money he should have $5,000,000 left. If he got hurt tomorrow and never played again he could take a very responsible 4% distribution from that sum annually and receive $200,000 per year. He would pay the lower dividend/capital gains rates on that money and that would leave at least $160,000 per year after taxes (more if he moves to a state with no or lower income taxes) for as long as that money is intelligently invested. He should have at least one house paid off or the ability to pay it off today. Isn't that "financial security"?

Don’t get me wrong: I'm a capitalist and believe Scott Wells should have the opportunity to make as much money as the market dictates. I hope he stays in Green Bay but if he leaves for a better deal I'll completely understand. If I thought I was among the 5 best in the country at my job, I would want to get paid like it no matter how much money I had. So if he said this is his last chance to "cash in" that's fine with me since it's true. All I ask is for multi-millionaire athletes (and other multi-millionaires) and those who write about them to refrain from telling us they need more money for the "financial security of their families". Unless they're talking about their great great great great great grand kids. [/rant]

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@THX-

Awesome rant. I agree with every single point you made. It's ridiculous when they play the "Financial security" card. The minimum salary for an NFL player has been well over $300,000 per year since he was drafted. If A player can't find a way to save/invest some of that money, then they're morons, and I have no sympathy for them.

As for my core 5 or 6, I meant to include Raji in the core group of 6, with Tramon and Jordy being on the cusp. The core 5 or 6 players are the ones you do everything you can to retain for the next several years. I love Jordy, and wouldn't trade him for anything right now, but he's not as irreplaceable as Greg Jenning in my eyes, which is why I didn't include him as one of the core players. Same for Tramon. Sam Shields isn't to Tramon's level yet, but he will be, hopefully soon, which would make Tramon a little more expendable.

Of course that core group can change at any time, but if I'm Ted and I'm looking to make sure I have anchors in place for sustained success, I look no further than that group of 5 or 6 players. .

OP
OP
fettpett

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would include Finely in there, but I think he's that important to the overall offense, particularly since teams game plan specifically for him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't. We won a ton of games without Finley. Sure, they game plan for him, but we're capable of game planning without him too. He's not a core need to me.

Members online

Latest posts