1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lombardi's final pre-game speech for the Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Tecmo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Tecmo

Tecmo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    The 4 letter network aired this yesterday. Jerry Kramer recorded the audio.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmsKIErO-q0]YouTube - Vince Lombardi's Last Super Bowl Speech to the Green Bay Packers.wmv[/ame]

2. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Wow thats great :D

I loved it!

3. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    Awesome....gave me goosebumps. Thanks for posting!

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Thanks for posting.

Now, is it just me who thought it was nothing major? Guess i was expecting something like his so famous phrases, but it didn't seem like it.

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I think it distilled the essence of what needed to be done out there. But not something extraordinary. I think all coaches tell their players that.

However, I think hearing it from Vince Lombardi sure does make the players believe it more so than coming from a Wade Phillips type coach.

6. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339
    Lombardi is otherworldly. Anything he says carries much more weight. He is in a league of coaches that is very exclusive. John Wooden, Vince Lombardi, Red Aurbach. Its not just about winning championships either. A guy like Chuck Noll or Phil Jackson, who were and are great coaches and have won a lot of championships just don't have the presence or air about them of the guys I previously mentioned. Vince is in a league of his own.

7. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Anyone who lived through those times as I did remembers Vincent T. Lombardi...no one like him before or since. To hear his voice again is amazing.

8. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339

Sweet. I went to Vincent T. Lombardi Middle School. Good times.

9. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    I got a heapin' helpin' of Vince's voice. He had a weekly TV show in Green Bay back in the 60's and yeah...I remember THAT voice. Just a notch below the sound of my Dad's voice.

Still, as for the pre-game speech itself ... yeah, I thought it was pretty non-descript. I think that it may have been intended to be non-descript. Essentially saying something to the effect that "You are the World Champions. You know what you need to do. Now, go do it."

I mean, he had a seasoned and veteran team that some argued was out-and-out OLD and washed up. Arguably, they WERE old and washed up. Lombardi though, pushed these guys to a level that no other coach could have. That became fairly evident the first season after Lombardi's retirement from coaching.

10. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339

That team was old and seasoned and did what many thought they couldn't do in the '67 season. If Lombardi had coached in '68 they might have had a better run of things. Phil Bengston was no Vince Lombardi.