Lombardi's final pre-game speech for the Packers

Tecmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4 letter network aired this yesterday. Jerry Kramer recorded the audio.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmsKIErO-q0]YouTube - Vince Lombardi's Last Super Bowl Speech to the Green Bay Packers.wmv[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

Now, is it just me who thought it was nothing major? Guess i was expecting something like his so famous phrases, but it didn't seem like it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think it distilled the essence of what needed to be done out there. But not something extraordinary. I think all coaches tell their players that.

However, I think hearing it from Vince Lombardi sure does make the players believe it more so than coming from a Wade Phillips type coach.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Lombardi is otherworldly. Anything he says carries much more weight. He is in a league of coaches that is very exclusive. John Wooden, Vince Lombardi, Red Aurbach. Its not just about winning championships either. A guy like Chuck Noll or Phil Jackson, who were and are great coaches and have won a lot of championships just don't have the presence or air about them of the guys I previously mentioned. Vince is in a league of his own.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who lived through those times as I did remembers Vincent T. Lombardi...no one like him before or since. To hear his voice again is amazing.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I got a heapin' helpin' of Vince's voice. He had a weekly TV show in Green Bay back in the 60's and yeah...I remember THAT voice. Just a notch below the sound of my Dad's voice.

Still, as for the pre-game speech itself ... yeah, I thought it was pretty non-descript. I think that it may have been intended to be non-descript. Essentially saying something to the effect that "You are the World Champions. You know what you need to do. Now, go do it."

I mean, he had a seasoned and veteran team that some argued was out-and-out OLD and washed up. Arguably, they WERE old and washed up. Lombardi though, pushed these guys to a level that no other coach could have. That became fairly evident the first season after Lombardi's retirement from coaching.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I got a heapin' helpin' of Vince's voice. He had a weekly TV show in Green Bay back in the 60's and yeah...I remember THAT voice. Just a notch below the sound of my Dad's voice.

Still, as for the pre-game speech itself ... yeah, I thought it was pretty non-descript. I think that it may have been intended to be non-descript. Essentially saying something to the effect that "You are the World Champions. You know what you need to do. Now, go do it."

I mean, he had a seasoned and veteran team that some argued was out-and-out OLD and washed up. Arguably, they WERE old and washed up. Lombardi though, pushed these guys to a level that no other coach could have. That became fairly evident the first season after Lombardi's retirement from coaching.

That team was old and seasoned and did what many thought they couldn't do in the '67 season. If Lombardi had coached in '68 they might have had a better run of things. Phil Bengston was no Vince Lombardi.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts